VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Dell computer with a HL-DT-ST dvd+- RWGWA4164B burner that will not let me view dvd movies.
    The computer is a Dimension 9150, with Windows XP.
    Does anybody know why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    do you have dvd player software installed on your dell pc? like powerdvd? you can download vlc media player which is free if you don't have any dvd software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. XP doesn't include an MPEG 2 decoder for DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo
    XP doesn't include an MPEG 2 decoder for DVDs.
    budz
    I have powerdvd and I should mention that some movies will play others will not.
    jagabo
    Is MPEG2 available as freeware?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Many freeware players include their own MPEG 2 decoders: VLC, MPC, KMPlayer, etc.

Ffdshow includes both VFW and Directshow MPEG 2 decoders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jfmalone
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    XP doesn't include an MPEG 2 decoder for DVDs.
    budz
    I have powerdvd and I should mention that some movies will play others will not.
    jagabo
    Is MPEG2 available as freeware?
    If you have powerdvd then it's not a missing mpeg2 decoder. You should do as was suggested and try KMPlayer since it uses its own built-in decoders. If you still cannot play commercial dvd with that program then the problem may be Directx related. You can change the renderer to wmr9 in the video(Advanced) options to prove it.

It would be helpful if you were more specific than saying "won't play". Are you getting any messages and what exactly are the symptoms (ie... seems to lock up with a long read time) or some other problem. When you say "some would play and others not" were you always using PowerDVD or were you using another player?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is the DVD from another country or is it scratched?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Is the DVD from another country or is it scratched?
    gall99
    When I say won't play I mean that the dvd player just has the light flashing as though the dvd is spinning but can't find the lead in, no messages appear either.
    I always use PowerDvd and when a disc will play PowerDvd starts automatically.
    MOVIEGEEK
    All the dvds are region 4 without scratches and they all play on a different dvd player on another computer or stand alone player.
    I am wondering if Dell has somehow modified thier dvd players to stop anybody copying dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try this: Reboot the computer. Hold down a shift key and insert a DVD (this will keep windows from autoexecuting any software on the DVD), keep holding it down for a while. Open the drive in exporer by right clicking and selecting Open (don't double click). Do you see the folders and files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Region 4... are they really retail pressed DVDs?
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]Region 4... are they really retail pressed DVDs?
    jagabo
    Your suggestion about holding the shift key worked, I could see the files in explorer and was also able to open PowerDvd and play the movie.
    Thank you and all those who helped with my problem.
    Quote Quote