VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hellow H264 fans

Ok. I'm slowing venturing into the H264 area (I tried once or twice before) and I now want to
    incorporate this app into a command line suite tool that I've been slowly developing over the
    last year or so.

Basically, this suite is a front end gui for the many command line apps available.. ie, ffmpeg;
    mencoder; ifoedit; and many many more, that I use regularly. I do keep as many releases or
    versions (for easy call up) for cases were I have to revert back to a ver that has a function
    that may no longer be available in a later release.

I mostly use this command line suite for running battery-tests of encoding scenarios. And I want
    to begin configuring this suite for the new H264 video format in hopes to be ready for HD encodings.
    So, I want to start testing this format out with HDTV sources that come from my PCTV Pro hd
    card to see how I fair in terms of quality, etc. I'm mostly concirned with the video quality and
    not so much with the audio. Anyway.

So far, I've seen and D/L'ed this one here:

--> main: -- https://www.videohelp.com/tools/x264_Encoder
    --> file: release r736 -- http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/revision736/x264.exe -- Jan 28, 2008

..and, although it seems to be the only one around, I was hoping that there may be other tools
    like this one (command line/cli) that we may have missed or not yet publicised.

Thank you,
    -vhelp 4526
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ever tried encavc.exe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're too quick.. thanks.

Ever tried encavc.exe
    NO !! never heard of it. I'll google it. Tanx!!

-vhelp 4527
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link I found via google search:

--> Ateme H.264 Beta - Bug, Issues and Getting Started -- by bobololo;(316 ) -- August 31, 2004

Man. I gotta whole lot of reading to do. Unfortunately, it seems it was taken down -- no link.
    But I'll consider reading the articles cause it does look interesting.

-vhelp 4528
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not the one that comes with ffmpeg ? Download https://www.videohelp.com/tools/WinFF

It'll show you the full command line syntax you need to use
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hay Soopafresh, your response jarred a past memory of you replying a similar response.
    Anyway. I think (if memory recall still works) that the prob I had was with the *other* tool
    being either .NET or requiring XP or something, and it prevented me from going any further,
    and I gave up at that point.

I found an old folder on my desktop where I was running a few experiments on h264 encoding
    via the x264.exe cli tool.. some version's ago. And, I still have some of the actual sample clips
    left on my HDD in that folder. One of them was a VHS capture of "The Fifth Elemment" and I
    forgot the quality I got out of that till I seen the clip again -- its not all that bad, quite good,
    actually. But size counts, in terms of quality. But I'm not sure of the numbers, mathematically
    speaking. But the size of that clip was 1.9MB for a 720x480, 4 seconds.. if that matters.

Anyway. I think that that clip was encoded using the RAW (non VFW) mode because it had the
    exention of .MP4 and not .avi. I forget the setup scenario I was using at that time, though it
    was confusing and time-consuming to setup every time I wanted to run a test scenario, but it
    consisted of a .BAT; avitoyuv; and something else I'm not sure of. Yeah, the date of that clip
    was Aug/2006. So, its been a long time. Now, I want to use it in conjunction with my working
    command line suite tool. It should make things run more opitimumly while battery-testing repetitive
    (param string setup) scenarios

-vhelp 4529
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh, I don't the know the setup for ffmpeg and x264. Never seen an actaul
    script of the usage with ffmpeg that I can recall.

-vhelp 4530
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hence the WinFF "cheat sheet", as it will show you what the batch file looks like when encoding to h264

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. After doing a lot of reading a bit since my last post, I got to a point where I could do a
    quick battery of test encodes. I use the same clip I still had on my hdd from Aug/2006, the
    vhs sample of 'the fifth element'. Because I wasn't at a place to use the latest version, I
    ended up using the perv build (below) in this test encode demonstration

Here's a short 689kb sample clip of what I threw up real quickly so far, using x264 cli
    (x264 core:47 svn-533) version:

--> vhelp.vhs.5th.element.test1.x264.v1.mp4

Next, I'm going to try one of my HD captures frm last nights ABC broadcast of,
    "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" because it had a consistant PDPDD ivtc pattern
    throughout the whole movie and not that dreaded tec nonsense..

-vhelp 4531
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Given that both encavc and mp4muxer were just and only "buggy betas",
    I would see no problem at all in making them freeware. Too bad the word
    "reasonable" does not exist in the dictionary of the copyright whores.

@ vhelp:

at last I found the time to take a look at some of your .flv videos.
    Nicely-done job, sir!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, sorry.., I've been away for a while.

regarding the comment on my youtube videos..
    Thanks.. you know.., the ones that I started numberizing (ie, # xx) are those that are from my
    so called new'er ERA and my improved encoding regimine. And anything *before* those were just
    trial n error times. But since I've been too busy with too many fun things on my plate, I haven't
    found the time to post more like I wanted to.

-vhelp 4533
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh.., that's just what I was looking for. I knew I seen it around.

--> ffmpeg -i source.avi -r 24 -s 640x272 -vcodec h264 -y output.mp4

Cant' wait to do more experiments and maybe throw something together, to make it all work
    in a few clicks 'n things.

Q: should I be naming the ext: .mp4 or .h264 ??

-vhelp 4534
    Quote Quote  
  13. the most recent build of ffmpeg can output mp4 directly, although not perfectly mp4 compliant, you can try outputting raw h264 and then mux with mp4box

another gui for ffmpeg (i think more complete, but my judge is biased) is AutoFF http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=129697

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote