VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There is a TV show that I download from the Internet that I want to be able to watch on my big TV. The files play fine on my PC, but neither my Philips DVP642, Lite-On DVD recorder, or new Toshbia upconverting player will play this MP4 file. Can I buy a home-type DVD player in the US that will play this MP4 file?

I realize that MP4 is a container. How do I determine what is actually in the container?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check this one

http://oppodigital.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use mediainfo to identify the content in a mp4 file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. These are nice looking players, but I could not find a mention of MP4. Do you know that they will play these files? There are three models at that link.

Stangely enough, I already had mediainfo on the computer, but I had never used it. It turns out that the files are Apple (AVC). Guess I'll pass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips DVP-642 can play MP4 container files. It is the only DVD player I know of that can play these files. However, if the audio is AAC, which is usual with MP4 containers, it won't play that at all. If it's Apple encoded stuff, you'll never hear the sound because it will be AAC. My best guess is that your files may be high def and the 642 will NEVER play those. If the resolution is larger than 720x576, that's why it won't play.

You'll have to buy a streaming media player of some kind to have a chance to play these files. Typically the prices start at $300 and go up.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98
    The Philips DVP-642 can play MP4 container files. It is the only DVD player I know of that can play these files. However, if the audio is AAC, which is usual with MP4 containers, it won't play that at all. If it's Apple encoded stuff, you'll never hear the sound because it will be AAC. My best guess is that your files may be high def and the 642 will NEVER play those. If the resolution is larger than 720x576, that's why it won't play.

You'll have to buy a streaming media player of some kind to have a chance to play these files. Typically the prices start at $300 and go up.
    It recognized the file as a MPEG-4 file, but the file would not open. No video, no sound. The resolution is something like 320 by 240, and it is definitely not HD.

It's not a big deal to be able to play these files, but it would sure be convenient. I can always convert them with WinAVI or AVSMedia Converter.
    Quote Quote