VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, I just got my Wireless Router from AOL, its a SpeedTouch ST585 v6 and well, I ran the AOL disc, installed it all, yes the router and internet works but my wireless network doesn't, I tried that IP thing 192etc but everytime I configurate it there, it stops working and results in me reseting it back to its factory settings. When using the AOL disc, it asks me what wireless adapters I am using, I am not using any, I just want to connect my PSP and Wii but it wont let me. Anyone help please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you change the IP address of the router your connection it will be closed. You need to reconnect using the new IP address. Also you probably need to enable the wireless side of the router and set the security, passphrase etc.

AFAIK the router doesn't need to know anything about the adapters which will connect to it just what security protocols they support. For my money avoid WEP and go for WPA or WAP2 with a preshared key. The Wii for certain will work with that and will need a DHCP server somewhere on your network.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It wont let me enable it, it can only be done using the aol disc but it doesn't give me the option of games consoles, only gives me a choice of usb adapters
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The WII should find it automatically. Enter your network name and password on the Wii and you should be good to go. I don't have a a PSP so I can't help you there.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it simply will not work, it wouldn't work at all unit I had to instal it using the AOL disc, I think you can only enable wireless using the AOL disc but only gives me the options of laptops, usb adaptors and PCI cards, I tried using them but no luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Network Magic. It's a pay software but it works pretty well.

Also check AOL for faq's on wireless hookups. I can't imagine you are the only that would have this problem.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I fixed it, well AOL did, I had to contact them and re-configure it, the WEP key I used (under the router) was different to the one on my configuration for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  8. SpeedTouch ST585 v6.. very popular router.. same as tiscali are using.. must be selling them at, liek, 5GbP, wholesale.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. AOL do not (wisely) enable the wireless functions of the router by default.
    There is a built-in configuration page inside the router you need to access. I use Netgear routers here so I can't check the address but I think it is 192.168.1.254. Note: you cannot type this in the AOL address bar but if you start Internet Explorer and type it in there it should work.

You will see a HTML menu screen - a kind of built in web server, which lets you change all the router settings and save them for future use. Be careful if you change the password from the HTML page, if you do it will no longer match the one AOL uses to connect to the Internet and you will lock yourself out. If you do, simply log in with IE again and reset it match the AOL one again.

When configured it should work on AOL as normal but have the wireless link enabled too. Take heed of the warnings about WEP and WPA, especially if you are in a built up area. It is very worrying that so many unsecured wireless networks are around and their owners are oblivious to the back door they left open.
    Quote Quote