VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I've been ripping DVD's for about 2 yrs. now with no problems until now. I live in a small trailer, and when I play a movie that's "dynamically" sound oriented (Sound effects, ear shattering) I have to constantly adjust the volume up and down. Makes some of my favorite movies, practically unwatchable.

I've read quite a bit about "normalizing" and demuxing, but not quite sure if this is what I need to do.

I usually rip with dvddecrypter to put the VIDEO_TS file on the hard drive. What I would like to do is get the sound pretty much one level, so I don't have to baby sit the zapper. Which programs are most effective to accomplish this? Thanks for any help. Great site!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before you make a giant rod for your own back, check out your player, and if you have one, your amplifier. Most have a built-in normaliser that may save you a lot of work. It may be called Normalisation, or Dynamic Range Control or Midnight or Nighttime Mode. Turning this one may solve your problem.

Otherwise you will have to pretty much sacrifice the 5.1 audio in favour of a flattened 2 channel mix.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback gunslinger, I checked and no dice on the built-in normaliser. Not worried about the rod on my back, as I've got lots of time and practically infinite patience. Not worried about losing the 5.1 either. Just hoping for a point in the right directoin, ie: which programs to start with and sequence as far as.:
    1. rip
    2. demux
    3. normalize audio
    4. remux
    5. rebuild dvd
    6. compile

That's just guessing what needs to be done, not positive though, any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you aren't concerned with the 5.1, have you tried changing the audio setup in the movie menu? Most have the option of playing 2 ch (stereo) or the 5.1 ch track. You could also disable the dolby processing in your receiver/amplifier (which often creates surround sound from stereo source) or disabling the surround sound and using only stereo (front two speakers).

The 5.1 track for most movies is not "normalised" as it is not realistic. And the DD5.1 track is there for realism.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Krispy Kritter, most of my movies have the menus removed so that feature is long gone, also I'm not using a receiver, just the TV speakers with two bose booster speakers.

What I'm up to now.
    Demux dvd using vob edit, and splitting the audio
    Trying to figure out how to use Goldwave to normalise audio.
    Then I'll recompile with TMPGENC

Any tips? I'll just keep slogging and post if I eventually get there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVD players have an audio setup menu where you can choose the output type and various other options. In your case, it sounds like you should be outputting stereo.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again for the reply Krispy Kritter. My dvd player does indeed have a "night" mode which seems to help, but not quite enough. Still plugging away.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Maybe your player is set up for a center channel but you don't have a center channel speaker.
    Quote Quote