VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got friend looking for a good color all-in-one printer. He most likely wants inkjet but a laserjet is not out of the question. I've been reading through reviews and it's driving me crazy. There seems to be issues with everything to some extent. I've generally used HP in the past but their massive software is getting out of hand. I'm open to other brands at this point. Canon and Brother both seem to have decent offerings but I don't have much experience with ink consumption on them. Any input is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You mostly hold your nose and choose. Or you use your own prejudices.

Unless you have a specific need like printing CDs where the choices are limited expect to make a decision and still feel ripped off.

Ink costs. HP, Lexmark and Dell include the printhead in the cartridge. There for cartridges cost more to make and may cost more than some other brands. But there a cartridge rebuilders and refill kits.

Epson uses ink tanks, print head is part of the printer. It will fail eventually. Epson has gotten 3rd party cartridges banned from import, allowing them to maintain a near monopoly of overpriced cartridges for their printers. They also play games with chips on the cartridges to foil refilling.

Canon offers both methods, depending on the model.

Remember the printer manufacturer wants you to use lots of ink. If the printer has separate black or individual color cartridges you should use less ink - provided you figure out how to make the printer use only black ink when printing in black. Recent Epsons, use both black and cyan ink for monochrome printing. My cheap Lexmarks have no black ink.

I'm so fed up with this crap that I bought several Lexmark printers at $25-$27 at Walmart. Each comes with a cartrdge which sells for $22. I refill until the head in the cartridge dies then throw away the printer.

Consider the new Kodak models. They've had a price drop, good print quality, somewhat cheaper ink.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If high-quality photo printing is in the equation then ink would be the best choice. CPP (cost per print) is much more with ink than toner. Lasers tend to be faster than ink, but not always when comparing time to print rather than the manufacturer's posted pages per minute. I have had good results with HP, Epson, Canon, Xerox and Samsung. Xerox also makes a solid ink (wax based) colour AIO that produces good photo quality, but you have to be comfortable with the wax technology.
    Quote Quote  
  4. By all means, stay away from HP all-in-ones. They have the worst drivers and executibles galour. Really, you want to bring your moderate system to a grinding halt, just install an HP all-in-one.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using an Epson 595 since Christmas and really like it. I don't scan that much and the prints are very nice....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For photo printing I have an HP2600n laser. Paid $200 at Staples for it. The 4 toner cartridges total about $320, so I paid less than the toner would cost. Rated for about 3,000 photos, its a better deal than inkjet even if one buys a separate scanner. Even if i bought tone (I expect to dump the printer when it runs out of toner), it would be a great deal cheaper than any inkjet in cost per copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What features do you need to have "all in one". Not all of them have the same abilities.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. He wants it all; print, scan, copy and fax. I've always like HP in the past but the software is killing them now. Very few seem to have a plain driver available. Epson is the spawn of Satan with all their little quirks and ink issues. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Canon or Brother. I never thought much of Brother in the past but they seem to be getting very good reviews now days.

Thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth
    He wants it all; print, scan, copy and fax. I've always like HP in the past but the software is killing them now. Very few seem to have a plain driver available. Epson is the spawn of Satan with all their little quirks and ink issues. I think I've narrowed my choices down to Canon or Brother. I never thought much of Brother in the past but they seem to be getting very good reviews now days.

Thanks for the input.
    Brother? They might make good sewing machines...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    look at the Canon MP610.. it has the highest reviews both user and editor from both pcmag and cnet. it can be found for well under 200$
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've been happy with my Lexmark X1240 from Walmart online, delivered to my doorstep for $33.24 bottomline. Heck, it even came with a black ink cartridge (had to buy the color one)! Hasn't failed me yet...

Order Summary
    Order Date: 02 DEC 2006 10:25 AM
    Order Number: xxx
    Subtotal: $ 29.88
    Shipping: $ 0.97
    Tax: $ 2.39
    Order Total: $ 33.24
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You really do not have to install the entire printer software bundle that comes on the disc with the printer. Quite easy to install only the drivers off the disc or even to download just the drivers from the internet. That is what I do. Don't need their extra software, I already have better programs I can use.

I am by no means a hard core printer user so I'm very happy with my HP Photosmart D5160 from Staples. Prints on my burned dvd's much better then I ever could by hand. Has a memory card reader on it that I can use with my digital SLR camera and mini card for my cell phone to swap mp3's and pics. Does normal printing fine. Don't really print pictures all that much. Great entry level combo. No fax or other bells and whistles that you see to be looking for with fax and scanners.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
  13. The MP610 looks very good, but it doesn't seem to have fax capability. I'll have to ask him whether he can live without that or not.
    Quote Quote