VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Dell E1705 with Philips SDVD8820 Slim DVD±RW drive which went bust a couple of days ago. Since my laptop is under warranty I called for a replacement and dell sent me a HLDS GSA-T21N 8X DVD�RW, brand new made in Dec2007. However I am worried if the new drive they sent me is better than the old one or worse?

I checked the dell specifications page and got confused. The Hitachi drive is also not there in the Video Help Database so I could not compare it here and read user comments.

Any advice on wether to try to get another Phillips or this one is ok?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try: Pioneer 115D-Newegg sells them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not looking to buy another, just getting a free one from dell. They have a habit of sending old stuff which is sometimes a downgrade, thats why making sure.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tantrik
    However I am worried if the new drive they sent me is better than the old one or worse?
    Why would you be worried that the new drive is better than the old one? I'd take better. But I wouldn't settle for worse. You should be able to request the same exact model from Dell so that you don't end up with worse.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dell has no consistancy in peripheral suppliers. They buy whatever is cheapest on the day they buy.

It appears to be the Hitachi version of an LG drive (Hitachi and LG produce drives through a joint venture).

In my opinion it is an excellent drive.

Because you chose to buy a Dell computer you can expect little in the way of firmware updates for your burner. The complexity of having used many different DVDwriters is a lack of support and commitment to support.

Often the reason the replacement drives manufacturers ship differs from the original drive is that the original drive proved to have too many failures. With Dell it is hard to identify such cases due to their purchasing strategy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The GSA in the model number is a good sign that firmware may be supported by LG. Most OEM drives from LG that "oldandinthe way" is referring to have model numbers starting with GMA, GCA or GWA. He is correct that those models generally are only supplied firmwares by the computer maker such as Dell, HP etc. This may be a retail drive and an exception to the rule (for Dell anyways).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any firmware for notebook drives on the LG site. I haven't looked at the Hitachi site. The OP seems to indicate Hitachi labeling.

Often the Hitachi version of the drive offers additional features like DVD-RAM, some LG owners cross-flash to Hitachi software when it is available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Firmware page (rpc1.org) has a listing for this drive under LG - laptop - dvd-recorder. Use link below and scroll to near the bottom.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=14&manufactor=16

It appears to be a Dell OEM drive only so I stand corrected.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're probably better off just buying something else for just about any Dell replacement parts. I don't think I'd ever buy a Dell.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firmwares for Slimtype/Laptop drives have to be provided by the Laptop manufacturer aka OEM.
    GSA means LG retail.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote