VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys first post here and unfortunately its for troubleshooting. well lets start with my rig. q6600, 8800 gts g92, asus p5n-t 780i, 2gb of ram. right now im using dual screen with a 19" monitor and a 42" lcd. anyways ive just recently picked up a lg bluray hddvd combo player and wanted to use it to play movies on the 42". so i upgraded all the necessities: video card driver, firmware for combo player, powerdvd 7 ultra for hd playback etc... well got it up on display through dvi\hdmi and popped in transformers. well right from the start i had problems. when trying to watch fullscreen, the bottom half of the screen tries to display the next few lines stretched all the way to the bottom. so basically i see streaks of the last few lines all the way to the bottom of the screen. but when i minimize it, to maybe the quarter of the screen, i get a perfect picture. ive switched the cables out and used vga but still the same results. im going to try another tv but after that i dont know what else to try. could it be my video card? or the dvd drive? also ive tried regular dvds and games in fullscreen and it runs fine could it be the larger resolution? well any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a problem with powerdvd,
    does it happen with all kind of video in powerdvd?
    try play video with another player like wmp and see if you got same problem in fullscreen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Our "friends" at PowerDVD and WinDVD decided that sucking off Hollywood was more important than providing useful consumer software, so they deliberately wrote both programs so that they will NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (read that carefully) output full 1080p resolution unless the output is going through HDMI. DVI will NOT work. Note that the discs themselves do not restrict the output. Both formats currently allow full resolution to be output via DVI at this time. PowerDVD is screwing you over to make Hollyweird happy. That's why it looks OK when you shrink it. Normally it just outputs at a lower resolution rather than forcing you to shrink the window yourself. Yes, shrinking to about 1/4 the size of the screen roughly sounds right for the resolution PowerDVD and WinDVD restrict you to if you can't output video via HDMI. Despite what video card manufactures say, DVI to HDMI does NOT work for full resolution on PowerDVD and WinDVD when playing HD DVD and BluRay. This is why the first HD DVD ripper was supposedly the written. The author was angry that PowerDVD refused to send full 1080p output over his DVI connection.

Your "fix", if you can even call it that, is to buy a video card with true HDMI output. DVI will never work because of the limitations both PowerDVD and WinDVD have deliberately built into themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys thanks for the replies. no it does not happen with all video i tried a regular dvd in powerdvd and it worked fine. i also tried another program fullscreen and that was fine also.

well i also tried it on 720p and reset my resolution to 800x600 and still the same result and as far as i know there are no video cards with true hdmi output until 9800 i believe. and if there is, a very small portion of the people playing blu ray and hd dvd would have it. but even then i think that you maybe correct since there is no other software to play back blu ray and hd i cannot confirm this. would you mind posting a link about powerdvd not supporting 1080p over dvi\hdmi. or do you think it would be my video card? even then im thinking of returning my drive its seems like its more of a hassle than what its worth. thanks again guys
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm certainly not an expert on HD, but I thought you needed Vista to playback HD/BR due to XP's lack of screen scraper defense. Your profile says your running XP. As I do not have any HD/BR drives or media I do not follow the latest events of this saga. If the powers that be have changed their minds (again) you may need to patch XP to play HD content at full resolution on HDCP enabled HDMI connected devices.

Until they get this right and communicate it properly I just don't see how the masses are going to embrace it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="namronthegreat"]would you mind posting a link about powerdvd not supporting 1080p over dvi\hdmi.

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/support/bdhd_support/system_requirement.jsp

If you follow the link on video cards it lists specific cards with HDMI. Without true HDCP HDMI it will still function, but not in full resolution...
    Quote Quote