VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any tips ???
    Since the media of 50GB are REALLY expensive yet...

Search Comp PM
    Re-encode at half the bitrate, which will take some time, or split it across two discs. With the price of blanks it is almost more cost effective to just buy multiple copies of the original.
    Read my blog here.

3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And you wont find any all-in-one tool for it yet, you have to demux the video and convert and mux it back. Check the doom9 forum, http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Search Comp PM
    put it on a hard drive
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie

Search Comp PM
    Buy 2 copies...
    Regards,

Rob

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how do you "rip" it at half the bitrate...??? please give me some tips...

the prices on blu-ray dvd-r will propably fall in the future - with more companies maing the blanks.
    i think the price will come down to 2-3 Euros in a not to distant future... we can just wait and hope...

Search Comp PM
    Not rip it at half the bitrate, rip it to your HDD, then re-encode it at half the bitrate. As for details on how - that is what search is for. At the moment, as far as I am concerned, BluRay and HD DVD are a waste of time and money.
    Read my blog here.

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kulmagen

the prices on blu-ray dvd-r will propably fall in the future - with more companies maing the blanks.
    i think the price will come down to 2-3 Euros in a not to distant future... we can just wait and hope...
    Probably so, but it depends on what you mean by "distant future". I'd guess we're looking at 3 years for this to happen - at best.

Do note that the BluRay group is making BluRay more and more consumer unfriendly all the time and there are rumors that the next generation of players won't support consumer burned discs. Do NOT underestimate the steps the BluRay group will go to to stop exactly what you propose - making copies at lower bit rates of BluRay discs.

Search Comp PM
    jman98 wrote:
    Do note that the BluRay group is making BluRay more and more consumer unfriendly all the time and there are rumors that the next generation of players won't support consumer burned discs. Do NOT underestimate the steps the BluRay group will go to to stop exactly what you propose - making copies at lower bit rates of BluRay discs.
    I hope for their sake that doesn't happen. I finally got a working system to put my Hi-Def HDV footage in Blu-Ray format on a standard DVD+R that plays on a Blu-Ray player. The quality is uncompromising and play back compatibility is good so far............if future player's are sabotaged to not play personal footage, then I believe it will become a doomed format.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........

10. With HD-DVD out of the picture there will be nothing to stop Sony.

Search Comp PM

Dream on.
    Ripping has nothing to do with bitrate decreasing/changing.

12. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]

Dream on.
    Dream on what? You can buy today TDK BD-Rs for $4.99/disk (€3.22) or Ridata BD-Rs for $7.60/disk (€4.90).

Search Comp PM
    I just did a very quick search on-line for 25GB BD-R disc prices. All prices listed in this post are US Dollars.

RIMA.COM has Ritek 25GB BD-R discs for $7.99 each but I doubt most here would trust Ritek. The next cheapest 25GB BD-R is Verbatim at $10.50 each. The 25GB BD-R by TDK is $14.00 each. Just to be complete they also had Sony 25GB BD-R discs at $15.00 each.

So next to Ritek (which doesn't really even count) the cheapest there was $10.50

I also checked SUPERMEDIASTORE.COM and MERITLINE.COM and the prices weren't that different.

In fact the best deal (other than RITEK) was the $10.50 Verbatim 25GB BD-R discs at RIMA.COM

Second best deal was at MERITLINE.COM where they had 10 packs of TDK 25GB BD-R discs and 10 packs of PHILIPS 25GB BD-R discs at $11.00 per disc (but you must buy the 10 pack to get that low of a price per disc).

These prices are substantially higher than those posted by user Taxidermista so yes I am afraid that "ultra cheap" 25GB BD-R discs are still a long way off.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

14. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    These prices are substantially higher than those posted by user Taxidermista so yes I am afraid that "ultra cheap" 25GB BD-R discs are still a long way off.
    You can find those cheap TDKs in several Circuit City stores at $4.99 each (jewel case).

Search Comp PM
    Any tips ???
    HOW to start posting in the correct section???

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Taxidermista
    Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]

Dream on.
    Dream on what? You can buy today TDK BD-Rs for $4.99/disk (€3.22) or Ridata BD-Rs for $7.60/disk (€4.90).
    YOU can buy that crap if you want and waste your money, go on.......

17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    With HD-DVD out of the picture there will be nothing to stop Sony.
    How about cutomers staying with dvd and bypassing sony's blue-ray till something better comes out,remember beta?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

18. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]
    Originally Posted by Taxidermista
    Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]

Dream on.
    YOU can buy that crap if you want and waste your money, go on.......
    Don't worry, I've been "wasting" my money in Ritek media for 14 years and I'm very happy with it, thank you very much.

Oh, and every once in a while I buy TDK media too, call me crazy...

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98

It's fascinating to watch how obsession is destroying what could have been a successful business venture.

Search Comp PM
    Getting back to the original topic:
    Any tips ???
    Yes. Re-record the movie only and leave out all the junk that comes with it. That should fit easily within 25GB.

21. "there are rumors that the next generation of players won't support consumer burned discs"

RUMORS! Any solid facts to back up this claims?

If that's the case, then why is NEC developing a chip that supports 8X reading and writing of Blu-ray disc media:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1422

Why did Pioneer and Mitsubishi co-develop a new blu-ray recordable disc:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Blu-ray_Disc_recordable

You have absolutely nothing but your grudge against SONY and these pathetic conspiracy theories. Come back when you have some evidence.

:P

22. Originally Posted by RLT69
    why is NEC developing a chip that supports 8X reading and writing of Blu-ray disc media... Why did Pioneer and Mitsubishi co-develop a new blu-ray recordable disc...
    Maybe just for data storage? I have no evidence either way.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer
    put it on a hard drive
    Ingenious! This actually took almost less time (and many fewer brain cells) than registering to this forum.
    I say almost because the very last file stream was too large to copy from BD to HDD @ 28GB.

How do we get Win7 to copy such a large file???

24. Don't use FAT format.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ooPs Time to re-format the add-ons to NTFS

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer
    put it on a hard drive
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie

27. Member
    Search PM
    I found 2 programs (BD Rebuilder requires a couple of other programs for it to work and one of them wasn't compatible with my 64bit system so I HAD to look elsewhere.
    I discovered I already HAD a good program, I just had to UPDATE it.
    #1. AVS Converter 6.4. I'm using with ANYDVD, so I'm not sure if it rips directly from DVD without ANYDVD.
    • TRIAL DOWNLOADS are FREE!! http://www.avs4you.com/ $39. for 1 year or $59 unlimited.
      • FYI If you like to make your own movies, that price also includes a dozen other video editing programs (whether you want them or not - it's part of a package deal) that have hundreds of transitions & effects that easily rival my expensive Adobe programs.

HOW TO USE: (Ok to email me for more detail - but beware, sometimes I don't pick up emails for several days)
    1. It's really easy to load your "source" from your Blu-ray DVD drive. Just locate the "BDMV.index" file
    (in the BDMV folder)

2. OR. . . . you can add the individual movie file (usually only *one) from the STREAM folder.
    FYI *You can easily tell which is the movie file by the size, but although rare, there ARE exceptions.

TIP. Always remember to check the size of your main movie file. Sometimes it is already less than 25 gb and you don't need to convert it.
    3. Choose your output file for your hard drive,and the type of output you want. (blu-ray, DVD, etc)
    • Choose Blu-Ray, and AVS will ask you if you want to shrink to 25gb
    • AVS will also convert to regular or HD DVD format.
    THE DOWN SIDE IS THAT 25 GB CAN TAKE SEVERAL HOURS TO CONVERT TO HARD DRIVE & COPY TO DISC. CONVERSION TO 8.5 IS MUCH MUCH QUICKER.

The other program that will shrink a blu-ray down to 25 gb. is ROXIO Sonic Pro10. $99.00
    There is a conversion section where you can shrink the disc down to whatever size you want.

Although very easy to use, the program took a good 30 hours to shrink movie to 25Gb disc. The copy, however was perfect. No choppy video that often accompanies blu-ray conversions to 8.5DL.

28. Member
    Search PM
    QUICK UPDATE: (My message posted somehow before I even checked it)

AVS CONVERTER 6.4: Change "several hours" to shrink to "Up to 16 hours" (depending on size, type of conversion, ect)

ROXIO Sonic Pro 10" 1.Change " up to 30 hours" (to complete shrink process) to "up to 50 hours"
    2. Also must use ANYDVD with Roxio

Neither are wonderful options, but options that will work all the same. I just set mine to convert and work on something else while it copies. 8.5 DL conversions don't take anywhere NEAR that time. They only take a couple of hours max.

I'll keep posting (and checking) for better software as it becomes available.

PS. I hope all the trouble is worth it. MOST the people I talk to say they can't see enough difference to warrant the extra cost. If folks stop buying, it'll go by the wayside like the old BETA max VCRs. '

FYI: I located 25Gb Blu-ray discs for about $2 per disc (packs of 25 w/free shipping) at amazon.com
    Also found 50Gb Blu-Ray (TDK) for $6.70 ea - ( in lots of 10 t;hat included shipping) at ebay.com. 10-12 days to arrive from Japan

Happy ripping. Keep sharing.
    synthea

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Synthea, could you tell us where to find this "Roxio Sonic Pro 10"? I don't see it on their website or a Google search. I see Creator, Toast (which I have, and which doesn't support shrinking BDMV folders), Popcorn and some other programs but no Sonic Pro.

Also, is it possible to use AVS Video Converter to shrink the *entire* disc (all titles) down to 25GB? I tried it and it only shrunk the main movie, with one audio track. It completely omitted everything else, even though I'd loaded the index.bdmv file and not just the .m2ts file.

30. You can try DVDFab "Blu-ray Copy" which normally takes 4-6 hours to shrink a BD-50 to BD-25 on normal Core Duo PC.

It also supports nVidia CUDA to speed up conversion.

http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-copy.htm

Please try it to see the result.
    Last edited by fengtao; 12th Oct 2010 at 00:29.
    DVDFab - Copy DVD and Blu-ray Disc to DVDR, BD-R, MKV and iPad/iPhone/iPod.
    http://www.dvdfab.com