VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright hi everybody I am not sure if this is the right topic to put this under but I am having problems with convertxtodvd. I know this has been discussed before but when I play a movie I convert with this program on my tv it makes the picture bigger than it should be and it makes it seem some of the picture is cropped. I have a widescreen lcd tv and the file i encode is widescreen. I set the program to convert to 16:9 aspect ratio, and this doesnt work. The reason I am asking this is because whenever I encode using nero vision I do not have this problem. Anybody know why? How can I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably because of overscan. Try the latest convertxtoDVD RC3 and you should be able to set black borders, http://www.vso-software.fr/download_product_direct.php?product=convertxtodvd3

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take it that was a fix in the new version? I do see the black bars to the right and left when I preview it while its encoding. I will burn one tonight and see if that did it. I just never had a prob with it before, I think nero automatically adjusted it.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just piss off Nero!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ?? what is that supposed to mean. If I can get convertxtodvd to encode my movies right, I will get rid of it. There was one other thing I noticed with convertxtodvd. If the movie file isnt that big it wont use the whole dvd-R it says the video has reached its normal limit for dvd's but after burning there is still have the dvd not burned. Is there a reason, I dont think I noticed that before either?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thats a bit rate / file size thing,

auto sampling, sets the bitrate, and the final size is smaller, than if you set manualy for max size or quality
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did maually set it on convertxtodvd. On the encoding tab I set the target size to 4475 MB which would pretty much be the whole disc. I looked at the log it makes and it give me this message "Video bitrate has been set to maximum possible value for DVD specifications. Target size may not be reached." I look at the folder created after the movie is encoded and the total size of the movie is 3.43gb?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cgballer20052
    "Video bitrate has been set to maximum possible value for DVD specifications. Target size may not be reached." I look at the folder created after the movie is encoded and the total size of the movie is 3.43gb?
    Thats because in order to fill the whole dvd to capacity it would have to encode the video higher than the allowed max bitrate for dvd specs..... pretty much what the LOG states.....

Top left hand side of every page......

Tells you the dvd specs......

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Try the latest convertxtoDVD RC3 and you should be able to set black borders,
    Actually, today they are up to RC5
    Man they are moving those RC out
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see if I am reading that right a single layer dvd can go up to Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video. I used a bitrate calculator and since the movie is 1 hour 36 mins and the audio is 112kbit/s. The calculater says "calculated bitrate 6239 kbit/s Dvd Max Bitrate 9685kbit/s, so it should all fill the dvd.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cgballer20052
    I see if I am reading that right a single layer dvd can go up to Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video. I used a bitrate calculator and since the movie is 1 hour 36 mins and the audio is 112kbit/s. The calculater says "calculated bitrate 6239 kbit/s Dvd Max Bitrate 9685kbit/s, so it should all fill the dvd.
    If this is some 93 minute 700MB Xvid you won't really see any improvement by filling the disc anyway. It is probably gonna look as good as it can at about 4000 kbit/s. There is only so much you can do with already quality compromised Xvids.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alright last question I think. I tried burning a movie with convertxtodvd and it still had a problem with overscanning. Overscanning is different on every tv right? If I would to play it on a regular tube tv it might show all of the picture right? Was there a fix on that FitCD program and convertxtodvd. I saw there was a problem before on a different thread. Do you know how long does that usually take for one movie?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the fix, is to convert the video to 704 * 480 and PAD the sides , 8 pixels on edge side, the video frame is 720 but the movie scene is 704

that is the fix

and yes fitCD can produce an avs script TO encode that way
    Quote Quote