VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I bought a couple of passes to watch streaming EuroSoccer on the Net. I was able to use WM Recorder to save my video files into WMV format.

Most of the matches around 90 minutes, resulting in average video files of about 650 Mgs.

I want to burn them onto a DVD or VCD (probably a DVD for better quality). I want to be able to record to matches on one DVD, and add a menu to control their selection.

I was thinking of using DVD-Shrink to compress the videos into smaller sizes, and then use another another program to record them onto DVD with menus.

But then I started considering ConvertXDVD, given its reviews here, but realized it cannot add menus. What other programs (free or commercial) would you recommend for accomplishing my tasks, without much sacrifice in video quality?

Thanks for your help...

Manny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try TitleWriter which can add simple menus to DVD compilations, according to its blurb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink doesn't convert, so you cannot use that. In fact DVD Shrink has no place in this process at all.

ConvertXtoDVD does simple menus, as does FAVC and the latest beta of DVD Flick.

What is the quality of your current files ? What resolution ? etc. This will help determine which is the best tool, and what level to encode at.

You can also use any of the above to encode, then use GUIForDVDAuthor if you need more complex menus or extra chapter flexibility.

Finally, if they are, for example, 640 x 480, and you convert them to DVD you will get one, perhaps 2 games maximum per DVD. One will give you similar quality to what you have now (assuming it is pretty good) and two will probably give you lower quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have attached an output specs from Gspot -- they are in pdf - and could give you more details about the video files I am working with.

I am currently downloading DVD-Rebuilder to see if it can help inthe conversion process. I would read about the other software you suggested, while waiting for further feedback from you and others.

rgds, Manny

world%20cup%20video%20specs.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MannyNoela
    I am currently downloading DVD-Rebuilder to see if it can help inthe conversion process.
    Nope. That tool is for DVD to DVD-R. Just like DVDShrink.
    WMV sucks as source material for further conversion, but if some allinone like convertx2dvd can handle it, use that. If you're not satisfied with the menus the allinone provides, you can import the output into TMPGEnc DVD Author and create a more pleasing menu.
    You won't be able to squeeze one of those onto a VCD, as a VCD capacity is 80 minutes, while your videos are 110 / 144 minutes.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD or FAVC, One per disc. If you want more, use FAVC and convert to either half-D1 or VCD resolution. Both will reduce the quality of the output.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

i will give both ConvertXtoDVD and TMPGEnc DVD Author a shot and then compare the results.

Thanks - Manny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to make things clear:
    It's either
    WMV -> Convertx2dvd or FAVC -> Finished
    or
    WMV -> Convertx2dvd or FAVC -> TMPGEnc DVD Author -> Finished

(The latter if you're not satisfied with the menu the allinones provide)

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks ---- that really clear is it up -- i was beginning to wonder about where different pieces of the software fit in the project.

rgds, Manny
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One note about WMV and ConvertX2DVD. It does a good job converting to a playable DVD, but where it falls short is when there are slow-moving or still scenes of people's faces. The skin on people tend to develop what I call 'dirt' like you were looking at the scene through a dirty window. Once there is movement then it clears. Don't know why this happens, but it does. I switched to imTOO MPEG Encoder as it was the only other WMV decoder I've found that actually keeps the audio in sync besides ConvertX2DVD and there is no problem with the skintones. imTOO MPEG Encoder does not make DVDs, but just converts file types to other file types. Its excellent for WMV to Xvid.

Relayerman
    Quote Quote