VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have bought this Interactive DVD and have used TMPGEnvDVD Author 16 to change all the files from the dvd to mpg files which amounted to 185 files I am now using TMPGEncMEdit to join them to 1 mpg how can I make a Interactive dvd of this now. is there a certain program which fits them to-gether. Like same as original DVD 1 folder AUDIO_TS and other folder as VIDEO_TS to play on home dvd player

thanks all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interactive DVDs are (at least to me) almost impossible to recreate, once you've taken it apart. Of course it can be done, (as it was once done) but...
    Why did you at all take it apart?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well to be honest just to see if I could create one, but I suppose its done a certain way. as I havnt so far seen how. Also another reason is because when playing it on my home dvd player it freezes in between the questions being asked its who wants to be a millionaire its still plays after a few secs but like i said its not like continuous
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I gathered it'd be something like that. I'd say it will be impossible to recreate it from the "raw" mpg files. I'd imagine a game like this could be created with DVD-Lab Pro, but it sure will take time and effort.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. You'll surely never recreate it by joining MPGs together. To even have a chance, author each of the 165 pieces into a "mini-DVD" using Muxman or somesuch, and replace them all one-by-one in using VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 'freeze' is more than likely caused by the logic of the program having to 'load' the next part of the program.

You could possibly create something similar by using menus branching off to different menus depending on which button you press.

But you will quickly run out of menus due to the limitation of 99 menus per dvd. And more than that if everything is done by menus you will aslo come across the next limitation of the total size of menus per dvd = 1 gig (VTS_vob)

If you want to know how the dvd was created then you need to look at it's structure using pgcedit or something similar. You will then see that it uses the internal registers to branch off depending on the keys pressed. And re-use the registers within the program. Something you cannot do with set menus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono
    You'll surely never recreate it by joining MPGs together. To even have a chance, author each of the 165 pieces into a "mini-DVD" using Muxman or somesuch, and replace them all one-by-one in using VobBlanker.
    could you show me how this is done and I dont understand what you mean by author each of the 165 pieces into a "mini-DVD where did you get 165 pieces from
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry, I meant to say 185, and not 165. You were quite unclear, but the impression I got was that there were 185 separate PGCs (or perhaps cells) (you called them files). I was also under the impression you had reencoded them to make them smaller. Otherwise, why go through this exercise at all? And the important stuff is in the menus. You'll never be able to recreate it by trying to make new menus in TDA. You'll have to use the original menus. The best (and just about only) way to both shrink the DVD and reuse the original menus is to replace the original PGCs/Cells with the reencoded ones using the "Replace" button in VobBlanker. Those reencoded videos have to be authored to DVD and the best and easiest way to do this is with Muxman.

I suppose another way to do it is to shrink the video files themselves using DVD Shrink in Reauthor Mode and then add back the menus following this guide:

http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/adding_back_menus/adding_back_original_menus.htm

Another and better way to shrink the DVD, at the same time keeping the menus, is to use DVD-Rebuilder for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I dont really want to make the dvd smaller But just wondered if I could find out whats causing when playing it on my home dvd player it freezes in between the questions being asked
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh, then I expect that DB83 had the answer to that one. I'd also guess that different players might have shorter pauses. You might test it out in some different players, if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the interactive discs use coding in the background which you won't find by pulling all the video out and trying to rebuild. You need to rip it whole and use something like PGCEdit to look at the register manipulation in the background to see what's really going on. Some push the bounds of what simple players are capable of, and not all players support all features equally well. I have the Scene It game, and the random selections works much better on one player than it does on the others.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Some of the interactive discs use coding in the background which you won't find by pulling all the video out and trying to rebuild. You need to rip it whole and use something like PGCEdit to look at the register manipulation in the background to see what's really going on. Some push the bounds of what simple players are capable of, and not all players support all features equally well. I have the Scene It game, and the random selections works much better on one player than it does on the others.
    is there a guide of how to look at the register manipulation for PGCEdit or any guides really
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not that I know of. Look on the PGCEdit page for guides for this tool, but I don't know anything specific to interactive DVDs. This type of DVD is the most difficult to make. It takes a lot of paper planning before you even start to author. If you go to the DVD Lab Pro forums at Mediachance.com you will find many posts on random number routines and game design for DVD. It is not something that most attempt to, or that most authoring tools are designed to handle. There was one program (can't remember the name of it) and a couple of services for doing thsi type of disc. None of it cheap.

Do not expect to find what it is that is causing the lock up and to fix it. The solution is buy a brand name player in most cases.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Whatever import type you use (separate track or separate file) TMPGEnc DVD Author [TDA] will flag the files to pause for a while when played. It's clearly stated in the program manual. The same happens with a cut done in TDA - it's not 'seamless'.

Assuming that the files have the same properties and you want them play one by one, there are two solutions to remove the flag:
    1. TDA + ProjectX or PVA Instrumento
    - Import all files to TDA as 1 track, in a sequence you want them to be played
    - Output (make) a video
    - Open VOBs in ProjectX and demux them. You will get video M2V + audio (MP2, AC3 or WAV)
    - Import M2V to TDA, audio will be added automatically. Voilą you may now author your video.

2. ProjectX
    - Open all MPG files in the program
    - Demux (QuickStart)
    - Last step as above...

That's all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7
    Whatever import type you use (separate track or separate file) TMPGEnc DVD Author [TDA] will flag the files to pause for a while when played. It's clearly stated in the program manual. The same happens with a cut done in TDA - it's not 'seamless'.

Assuming that the files have the same properties and you want them play one by one, there are two solutions to remove the flag:
    1. TDA + ProjectX or PVA Instrumento
    - Import all files to TDA as 1 track, in a sequence you want them to be played
    - Output (make) a video
    - Open VOBs in ProjectX and demux them. You will get video M2V + audio (MP2, AC3 or WAV)
    - Import M2V to TDA, audio will be added automatically. Voilą you may now author your video.

2. ProjectX
    - Open all MPG files in the program
    - Demux (QuickStart)
    - Last step as above...

That's all.
    ...and hey Presto! You've rolled your own "Who wants to be a Millionaire" DVD game!
    Not.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Not.
    /Mats
    what "not"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It means that your solution gives him a continuous video, not the interactive gaming experience he was after.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A great majority of these interactive DVDs are being doing by ZooTech's DVD-Extra Studio http://www.zoo-tech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=36, as it allows for regular program-flow-like scripting and asset management is automated. The job becomes humongous if done the normal way.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    It means that your solution gives him a continuous video, not the interactive gaming experience he was after.
    OK but it allows smooth playing of at least a part of sequences
    Quote Quote