VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a question, when I play my original DVD movie on Media Player Classic, the movie resolution(720x480) display(width) almost fit on my 17" monitor. But after I convert it to XVID(720x480) using AVI.Net and playback on MPC, the width of the movie is quite smaller compare to DVD.

If I open photoshop and create a picture of 720x480, it give me the same resolution as the XVID.
    Can anybody tell me why is this?

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The dvd is resized to 4:3 or 16:9 while the avi xvid is probably not resized. You need to read about aspect ratios, see http://www.doom9.org/aspectratios.htm

What is the aspect ratio of the source dvd? 4:3 or 16:9 ? Then I would resize to a 4:3 or 16:9 resolution instead of making 4:3 or 16:9 avi xvid as MOST players ignore the display aspect ratio. See https://www.videohelp.com/guides/determining-aspect-ratios-and-resolutions-id360#360
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Check the settings, MPC is scaling it up.

Edit: assuming your not using some ridiculously low monitor resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPC will display a 720 x 480 Xvid as 720 pixels wide, but will display a 16:9 DVD Video of 720 x 480 as 853 pixels wide because DVD pixels are not square, whereas Xvid pixels usually are.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    The dvd is resized to 4:3 or 16:9 while the avi xvid is probably not resized. You need to read about aspect ratios, see http://www.doom9.org/aspectratios.htm
    Thanks for the link, it give me a good idea of my problem.

What is the aspect ratio of the source dvd? 4:3 or 16:9 ? Then I would resize to a 4:3 or 16:9 resolution instead of making 4:3 or 16:9 avi xvid as MOST players ignore the display aspect ratio. See https://www.videohelp.com/guides/determining-aspect-ratios-and-resolutions-id360#360
    My source is 4.3 according to the back of my dvd case. The movie I play have a black border on top/bottom.

So according to your first link, I must put a re-size my video to (480*4/3= 640) output 640x480 ? Is this right? why the resolution for 4.3 is smaller compare to 16.9 (480*16/9=853) output 853x480?

MPC upscaling DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Square pixels versus non square pixels.

You can save yourself more space by cropping off the black bars as well. They aren't needed.

If you wanted to maintain the 720 width, you could resize to 720 x 540, however resizing up usually reduces quality more than resizing down.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Square pixels versus non square pixels.

You can save yourself more space by cropping off the black bars as well. They aren't needed.

If you wanted to maintain the 720 width, you could resize to 720 x 540, however resizing up usually reduces quality more than resizing down.
    Usually when I convert my dvd to avi in AVI.net, when I select 720wide, it always auto give me the high and it always smaller then 480or576. If I force to select 480 or 576 then my video going to stretch.
    Is there anyway that I can convert my dvd to avi 720x480 or 720x576 and the video doesn't stretch? Or it can't be done?

thanksss
    Quote Quote