Search Comp PM
    Does any one know of a DVD DivX Player with USB External HD support
    EX2 or NTFS - large file and 100+gig
    Most DVD players have fat32
    I have a External Sata 80gig USB Drive
    and I can not use more than 30gig on Fat32
    and no large file support
    Quote Quote  
  2. Its very possible to use more than 30gb under fat32. I have an external 160gb fat32 drive which works very nicely. use an external app to format the drive. I know what you mean about the other limitations tho.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What should "large file" mean??
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32 says:

In order to overcome the volume size limit of FAT16, while still allowing DOS real-mode code to handle the format without unnecessarily reducing the available conventional memory, Microsoft decided to implement a newer generation of FAT, known as FAT32, with cluster counts held in a 32-bit field, of which 28 bits are used to hold the cluster number, for a maximum of approximately 250 million (228) clusters. This would allow for drive sizes of up to 8 terabytes with 32K clusters, but the boot sector uses a 32 bit field for the sector count, limiting volume size to 2TB on a hard disk with 512 byte sectors.

On Windows 95/98, due to the version of Microsoft's ScanDisk utility included with these operating systems being a 16-bit application, the FAT structure is not allowed to grow beyond around 4 million (< 222) clusters, placing the volume limit at 127.53 gigabytes. A limitation in original versions of Windows 98/98SE's Fdisk causes it to incorrectly report disk sizes over 64GB. A corrected version is available from Microsoft. These limitations do not apply to Windows 2000/XP except during Setup, in which there is a 32GB limit. Windows ME supports the FAT32 file system without any limits.

FAT32 was introduced with Windows 95 OSR2, although reformatting was needed to use it, and DriveSpace 3 ( the version that came with Windows 95 OSR2 and Windows 98 ) never supported it. Windows 98 introduced a utility to convert existing hard disks from FAT16 to FAT32 without loss of data. In the NT line, native support for FAT32 arrived in Windows 2000. A free FAT32 driver for Windows NT 4.0 was available from Winternals, a company later acquired by Microsoft. Since the acquisition the driver is no longer officially available.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP can read and write to FAT32 file systems of any size, but the format program included in Windows 2000 and higher can only create FAT32 file systems of 32 GB or less. This limitation is by design and was imposed because many tasks on a very large FAT32 file system become slow and inefficient. This limitation can be bypassed when using the Windows 98/ME versions of fdisk.exe and format.com.

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 Byte (232−1 bytes). Video capture and editing applications and some other software can easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as HFS+ or NTFS. Until mid-2006, those who run dual boot systems or who move external data drives between computers with different operating systems had little choice but to stick with FAT32. Since then, full support for NTFS has become available in Linux and many other operating systems, by installing the FUSE library (on Linux) together with the NTFS-3G application. Data exchange is also possible between Windows and Linux by using the Linux-native ext2 or ext3 file systems through the use of external drivers for Windows, such as ext2 IFS; however, Windows cannot boot from ext2 or ext3 partitions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't you be able to use an xbox 360 with the divx upgrade? I know it can read usb drives though i don't know which ones.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The large files are like video files ( larger than 4gig )
    or recording from TV onto the HD - ( in High Def mode )
    that will also create much larger files than 4gig
    so I am trying to find a DVD Player that can read EXT2 partitions
    this will make it simple
    PC can read EXT2 ( Linux and Windows XP )
    My Satalite receiver can read EXT2 ( Viewsat HD9000 )
    Files can be much larger than 4gig on EXT2
    Also fat32 is SLOW - EXT2 is FAST read/write

I only need a DVD player can can read it (EXT2) via USB

I have a 35feet USB2 cable from PC to my TV
    At TV I have a HD that I want connected to DivX DVD Player
    and
    My Satelite receiver for recording
    It will be like a media storage player
    But you CAN NOT record in FAT32 in High Def - too slow - skips
    so help if suggestions
    thanks
    Quote Quote