VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THIS IS IN REGARD TO ZEKE'S POST
    about the DV-400V being / not-being able to play MPG or MPEG files on this unit via USB or CD/DVD
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Zeke from United States reported July 04, 2007:

Does not play mpg/mpeg of the hard-disk, nor does it play DVD folders, or vob files.

Interestingly, at one point I was able to get it to play an MPG file by pressing some random keys, however I have not been able to get the same file to play again. This shows that there is no inherent limitation on playing mpg files, just some software restriction. Any ideas will be helpful.

I am still trying this player out and would like to keep it for its superior picture quality if I can get it to play mpeg file.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I SEE NO FOLLOW-UP AS TO WHETHER ANYONE HAS FOUND A WAY TO GET THIS UNIT TO PLAY MPEGS
    .mpg or .mpeg

Please let us know. It's great that it plays DIVX, XVID, etc. *BUT* I edit video on my computer in MPEG-2 format and want to be able to throw stuff on a DVD or even better a USB Flash Drive or FAT32 - 100GB External HD in MPG / MPEG format and view it on my TV through the Pioneer DV-400V. IT'S THE REASON I BOUGHT THIS UNIT AND NOW I'M KINDA STUCK :_(

Zeke claims to have gotten an MPG to play by (essentially) 'accident'

I just got the deck and don't want to return of sell the unit until I know for certain that there is NO WAY that I can get it to play MPEG-2 MPG's.

Any hard facts about this issue are greatly appreciated!

Send to: flobie11 (at) yahoo (dot) com

B I G thanks !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer 540H DVD Recorder and it also will not play mpeg files from DVD Rs (any type), yet my older 466 player will.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm specifically talking about the Pioneer DV-400V being able to play MPG / MPEG files.

Right now it won't.

Others have reported this issue....and I only noticed those reports *AFTER* I bought the DV-400V and could NOT get it to read MPG's. Unfortunately, the main reason I bought this unit was because I need a decent quality, affordable deck that reads a variety of +/-R discs, with a USB port to play/review MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files that I am working on editing.

I've had the DV-400V for less than 2 day and don't know what to do. Is there a work-around for this issue? It reads divx, xvid & mpeg-4. I don't see why it won't read MPG's when similar units will. Does anyone know of a fix? Firmware? Hack? Can anyone help or is there NO Way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I was trying to point out is that Pioneer no longer seem to support playback on mpeg-2 video in an mpeg container. I don't believe there is a hack, and doubt we will see a firmware update to do it. If you aren't happy, take it back and get a different brand that will support mpeg-2 playback without authoring.

Or learn how to use AutoGK
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd take it back if I got it from a B&M...but I got it online and it's not DOA or actually 'defective' for that matter. To eat the cost of shipping it to me and then to pay to ship it back is about 1/3 of the actual cost. I was just hoping there might be a way to get it to play mpegs. The post I quoted by Zeke from Jul'07 claiming that he 'accidentally' got the DV-400V to play a MPG file got my hopes up. Thanks for your input and insight re: Pioneer seemingly no longer supporting mpeg playback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual only talks about 2 channel audio and jpeg still image playback over the USB port. It does not suggest that any video playback is supported from USB devices. While one or two people have said they have had it working, the vast majority say they have not. All mentions of mpeg are in the context of either mpeg4-AAC audio, or mpeg-1 Layer 2 audio. No mention at all is made of mpeg-2 video playback.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Divx, Xvid and Mpeg-4 all played fine thru a 2GB flash drive plugged into the USB port....tho, fast-forwarding is PAINFULLY slow. Reports I read b4 buying the unit claim some external (FAT/FAT32) HD's up to 200GB could be read and play video thru the USB.

Every prior player that I've seen that supported divx, xvid, mpeg-4 & wmv has also supported mpeg-2, so I made the big mistake of assuming. The problem I have seen with other Divx players is that they will play up to divx-5 but don't support the divx-6 codec.

MAYBE, just maybe I can change the way I do things to make this work. If i can find a way to edit Divx & Xvid AVI's with the speed and percision that I currently have with the MPEG-2 format I will glady jump ship to AVI/MPEG-4.

The KEY is being able to 'speed edit' and save my edits in a snap. The prob I've had with saving AVI/MPEG-4 edits is that a 22-min. edit takes 22-min to save. Whereas, I can save a rough cut of a 22-min MPEG-2 edit in more like 22 SECONDS.

I use a software that's not even made any longer, called MyFlix-XE. It's about as pure to MPEGs as ACDSee was to jpegs b4 it became bloatware. It's simple. It's FAST. You can play the video by frame, normal speed or fast -- forwards or backwards and cut things up SUPER FAST.....seriously, speed editing....with percision. THEN save and be reviewing your edits literally seconds later....MyFlix-XE only supports mpeg-1 and mpeg-2, but not VBR of either.

Is there a video editor equivalent of MyFlix-XE for avi/divx/xvid ? ...dare I include WMV in my request? SolveigMM has the speed to save your cuts/trims....but seems to be a basic splitter/trimmer....it doesn't seem to be a true high-speed editor that allows you to really cut up and 'edit' a segment....with precision to boot.

For those familiar with MyFlix-XE...is there an equivalent with speed and precision of editing PLUS the speed of saving your edits that supports AVI (divx/xvid)? This would be a dream come true!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Womble and edit the mpegs first, save the results, then batch AutoGK encodes overnight. I recently encoded the 13 x 45 min episode BBC Robin Hood first season in around 8 hours, with each episode coming in at approximately 550 MB for a nice double disc set.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote