VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a damaged .avi file (bad sync, etc.), but it plays fine using VLC.

Main Problems: bad ivtc and missing frames.

But I want to convert it to MPEG-2 for standalone DVD play. When I do, it doesn't play right.

Is there anyway to somehow get it to play without problems on a standalone DVD player? I've read that VLC is good for playing bad video files. I'm just wondering if there's anyway to use that benefit to make a watchable DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VLC can also transcode the file to a different video/audio format. But that may not repair the problems. In the 'File' menu, select the 'Wizard', then 'Transcode/Save to file'. It should lead you through the possible choices. A software player can skip over problems that a encoder chokes on. A encoder needs a 100% error free file to work properly.

You mention sync problems and bad ivtc and missing frames . What other problems? Bad sync after conversion to MPEG is most often caused by MP3 VBR audio. Try dropping the file into VirtualDub Mod and see what it says. If you have VBR audio, save it out as a WAV with full processing, then either convert it to CBR audio and add it back in or combine it later with the converted MPEG video in your DVD authoring program by running it through ffmpeggui to convert it to AC3 audio.

Another cause of sync problems is corrupted or missing frames in the video. Or bad joins/cuts. A bit harder to fix. You would have to give us more details about the problems with the file.

With VDM or VD, you can also use 'File>Open video file', and in the next window at the bottom, check 'Ask for extended options after this dialog'. Then select your video file and in the next window, 'Re-derive keyframe flags'. This may fix index issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Bad IVTC and missing frames are the only problems. I use a converter called Total Video Converter, to convert to MPEG 2. Not sure what the audio is when it does that. Although sometimes rather than burn it directly with Total Video Converter, I will demux the MPEG-2 file with DVDLab Pro 2, and get .mpv and .ac3 files.

Sometimes I can fix frameheaders with Videoredo or even DVDLab Pro 2. I also sometimes use besweet to convert between audio formats if I am having problems with the audio using DVDLab Pro 2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a lot of work and wasted time. It would be much simpler to just get a Divx certified DVD player. Then you just burn the avi files as data to a DVD and play them. You will still have to fix some damaged files like the current one you are having trouble with, but in the long run it will save you a lot of time, effort, and money.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote