VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD drive maximum speed is 16X. It has no problem to burn the 8X DVD R but fails 16 X DVD disc. Do you know how to fix the problem, by resetting, downloading the firmware update or what else? Please provide all the possible methods to solve the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could be anything from buy a new one to vacuum the dust out.

not much info there. no computer specs, no brand/model for drive, no type of dvdr listed, did it ever work, who installed it? - what are we supposed to be mind readers?

and we should write a dissertation on every possible fix?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Without knowing the specifics as mentioned above, let me say that when I had a 8x burner, I tried using the 6x burn speed with some iffy disks and they burned fine at 6x. Now that I have a 16 x drive I use the 12x setting without ever having a bad disk. When I used the 16x setting with this drive I would have a bad disk every now and again. With the 12x setting...never.

So my advice, If 16 doesn't work all the time and 8 does try 12 and if that doesn't work just go back to 8.

Or, you can see if there is a firmware update for your drive and try that. Also the burn program makes a difference. Img burn is free and seems to be the program of choice for many.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Or try another brand of DVD disc. Not all burners work properly with all brands of discs or even at their published burning speeds. What brand are you using? If it isn't Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden 16X, I would try them. And even those brands don't get along with all burners out there.

And if you were to fill in your computer details, our guesses would be a lot easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony
    Without knowing the specifics as mentioned above, let me say that when I had a 8x burner, I tried using the 6x burn speed with some iffy disks and they burned fine at 6x. Now that I have a 16 x drive I use the 12x setting without ever having a bad disk. When I used the 16x setting with this drive I would have a bad disk every now and again. With the 12x setting...never.

So my advice, If 16 doesn't work all the time and 8 does try 12 and if that doesn't work just go back to 8.

Or, you can see if there is a firmware update for your drive and try that. Also the burn program makes a difference. Img burn is free and seems to be the program of choice for many.

Tony
    Tony said he could set the different burn speed. How did you change the burn speed? I would like to use the Nero 8 Ultra or DVD Shrink 3.2 to burn the DVD. How the burn speed be set/changed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink doesn't burn. It uses either Nero (not all versions), VSO CoptoDVD, or DVD Decrypter to burn. You must have one of these installed. There is also a version that uses Imgburn. However using Shrink as a front-end does hide most of the burning options from you.

I use Imgburn for burning everything except Redbook Audio CDs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, how to set/change the burn speed by use of the Nero 8 or which backup software can change the burn speed?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using IMG burn and most other burn products, when you activate the program it checks your drive and it checks the disk you inserted. It then has a box indicating burn speed. In IMG burn you can click the box and all the avail. speeds for that drive pup up. Select the one you want and it will burn at that speed. If you select a speed greater than the rated speed of the disk, it will just burn at the max for that disk.

Hope this helps.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use Nero, it's pretty awful software these days. Especially for DVD-Video.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After DVD Shrink 3.2 finishes running, will it automatically activate the ImgBurn to start burning?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No, you will have to save the file out as a VIDEO_TS folder or an ISO and burn it as a separate operation.

There was a modified version of Shrink that could use ImgBurn automatically, same as DVD Decrypter, but it was withdrawn. You can also 'fool' Shrink by modifying a ImgBurn program file so that it appears as a DVD Decrypter file and works automatically. Try a Google search for ' burn automatically with dvd shrink and imgburn ' and you may be able to find either option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got the ImgBurn error message, "ISO write mode is for burning disc images, not VIDEO_TS files. Switch to ISO Build mode, add your VIDEO_TS folder to the list and then create an image." How to switch to ISO Build mode and create an image?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In ImgBurn, under 'Mode', select 'Build' instead of 'Write', which is the default. Then select your VIDEO_TS folder and it will burn it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. Write means copy to a disc. I do not understand why the ImBurn uses the Mode Build instead of Write to write/copy the movie to the disc. It is confused. What can the Mode Write do? Basically, I want to write/copy VIDEO_TS from HDD to the DVD-/+R(W). In addition, can the ImBurn erase a DVD RW and overwrite it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. You might find reading the manual will help.

Build Mode creates a disk image file from the Video_TS files. Write Mode burns the image file to a disk. The software does EXACTLY what it is supposed to do, it is the user who is confused.

Highly recommend reading more and writing less.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the program was originally written to just burn ISO files to disc, hence, the 'Write' part. In 'Build' it is able to take a non-ISO file and burn it to disc, apparently by 'Build'-ing the proper format. Either way works fine as they are both doing the same thing, just with different formats.

And yes, it will erase/write RW discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can the ImgBurn write/burn the Video_TS to a DVD-/+R(W) directly? The other backup software (I believe they are the most) can write the Video_TS to the DVD R(W) directly. Why does the ImgBurn need to “Build” by creating a disc image first then write/burn the image files to the disc? Is it necessary to do so, for better quality or what else? It’s time consuming, isn’t it? Can anyone explain it?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's necessary. You can't just put a VIDEO_TS folder on a DVD disc as data. There is a format for all this. Look in 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page. You might have to go to one of the linked sites and do a bit of reading. But Nero or any other burning program also has to use a certain format to burn a DVD.

I don't know that it has to create a disc image first, but truthfully, I never looked to see what it does.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coody
    It’s time consuming, isn’t it? Can anyone explain it?
    No, it's not time consuming.

Follow redwudz's advice, or better yet download it and try it out. It is easy to use, and there are several FAQs and Guides at the ImgBurn forums to help you out if you need it.

I've been using it since ver1.x, and it just works. It'll burn just about anything - next version will have music-CD burning capability.

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  20. Once you're in Build mode, change the 'Output' to 'Device' (rather than 'Image File') and it'll burn your VIDEO_TS folder directly to disc without the need for an intermediate image file.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks LIGHTNING UK! for a great program. I admit I haven't really needed to read through the docs to use the software successfully. I like that.
    Quote Quote