VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I have been using MTR for awhile and made copies of my original dvd's on to a Maxwell dvd-r's. But after a few times of playing the copy they stop working. I'm starting to think if its a good idea to rip the dvd's to a external USB hard drive and play it from the hard drive on my mac or on TV via the Mac or something like that.

What do you guys think? if anyone is doing something similar

Also I've been using my Philips dvp642 player for few years and its aging. What's a kick-ass DVD player in the geek circle these days?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mercuryguy
    ... I'm starting to think if its a good idea to rip the dvd's to a external USB hard drive and play it from the hard drive on my mac or on TV via the Mac or something like that.

What do you guys think? ...
    Thanks
    That is a very good idea. Video contents (both SD and HD) stored in USB hard drive play very smoothly on a connected PC. I used to create DVDs for my home movies (family videos) but have stopped doing that. The DVD burning process is painful (long and unpredictable crashes). Even after you successfully burn DVDs, many of them are choppy on certain DVD players. Also, they tend to rot over time. I now have all of my home movies stored in USB hard-drive. The back up process is also very convenient, one can back up the contents to another USB hard drive in a hurry.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I have been using MTR for awhile and made copies of my original dvd's on to a Maxwell dvd-r's. But after a few times of playing the copy they stop working. I'm starting to think if its a good idea to rip the dvd's to a external USB hard drive and play it from the hard drive on my mac or on TV via the Mac or something like that.

What do you guys think? if anyone is doing something similar

Also I've been using my Philips dvp642 player for few years and its aging. What's a kick-ass DVD player in the geek circle these days?

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with a batch of Maxell DVD-R's. I thought my DVD Recorder had gone on the fritz. I then stumbled on the following page for Recordable DVD Quality

I have quit using anything but Taiyo Yuden DVD-R disks and have been happy with them. Not sure if you are experiencing the same problem as I have, but check out the media quality for good measure.

Cheers, Brent[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is a very good idea. Video contents (both SD and HD) stored in USB hard drive play very smoothly on a connected PC. I used to create DVDs for my home movies (family videos) but have stopped doing that. The DVD burning process is painful (long and unpredictable crashes). Even after you successfully burn DVDs, many of them are choppy on certain DVD players. Also, they tend to rot over time. I now have all of my home movies stored in USB hard-drive. The back up process is also very convenient, one can back up the contents to another USB hard drive in a hurry.
    Thanks for the replies.

Do you copy them after the MTR process or After MTR, run through DVD2oneX and then create image file and then transfer?

What USB drives do you recommend? Is firewire faster? or which is the fastest ?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you copy them after the MTR process or After MTR, run through DVD2oneX and then create image file and then transfer?
    I rip using MTR, then compress with DVD2oneX, then burn/copy that and delete the original.

A triple interface drive with Firewire 400, Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 is what I'm looking for.
    Probably one of those Lacie All Terrain orange looking portable ones that are bus powered.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

Thanks.
    You can rip DVDs using any sofware of choice, shrink them, and either (a) leave them in the original file structure, VIDEO_TS, or (b) create an ISO file, and copy them to the external hard-drive. Either way would allow you to play the videos on the hard-drive.

Firewire is certainly faster than USB 2.0. I bought the WD hard-drive (MyBook 500 Gb) with USB/firewire combo. The videos (both standard-def and high-def) play smoothly using either connection. Firewire is useful for backing up the whole hard-drive (much faster than USB). The USB/firewire combo is a bit more expensive than just USB.
    Quote Quote