VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got one of these and it's been great. I'd like to upscan but right now whenever I go to the info page I don't see anything about 1080, only 480. I've got macrovision, edid, and HDCP turned off and I have the latest firmware I think. Is there something else that I need to be doing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many DVD players won't upconvert copy protected discs (commercial discs).

Also, depending on your TV, it may be totally irrelevant. If you are using an LCD or plasma TV for example, ALL inputs are automatically upconverted / downconverted to the native resolution of the display.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. My tv takes 1080. I was hoping to get it to output at 1080 instead of 480. So far no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I know nothing about the DVB418, nor did you mention what model of TV you have, but Krispy Kritter is right. I am getting excellent results from a cheap piece of crap Philips DVP-642 DVD player which can only output 480p. My Samsung HDTV upconverts it itself to 1080p and the results are excellent. Unless this DVB player has a Farjouda chip, your TV may do a better job of upconverting anyway, so you may not be missing out on anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have a digimate 27 inch lcd. It apparently supports 1080i and when I plug in my hd reciever I get it at 1080. That's why I was asking. I did try it with a non-copyprotected disc but it still didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kruuth
    I've got one of these and it's been great. I'd like to upscan but right now whenever I go to the info page I don't see anything about 1080, only 480. I've got macrovision, edid, and HDCP turned off and I have the latest firmware I think. Is there something else that I need to be doing?
    How is it connected to the LCD-TV?

I don't see a 27" in their line? Which is it?
    http://www.digimate.co.uk/index2.htm

Most upscaling DVD players won't upscale a commercial DVD. Try a DVDR you made.
    Some upscale over analog components or HDMI.
    Others only upscale over HDMI. Some of those first require an HDCP handshake.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Supporting 1080 input is totally irrelevant as I noted above. You need to be concerned with your TV's native resolution. Most smaller LCD's are 720P and use a native resolution of 1366x768 (although they all support 1080).

Basically, in your case (assuming your TV is 1366x768), you will be taking 480P content and upconverting to 1080 in your DVD player, your TV will then take your 1080 input and DOWNCONVERT to 720P (your native resolution).

Of course, this is a side topic of the original issue. As I noted above, most players do NOT upconvert commercial discs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote