VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I created a VCD file with Procoder: MPEG1_VCD_NTSC.mpg. How do I burn it to a CDR as to create a working VCD? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VCDEasy(the old free version works fine also) or if you have Nero you can try the included nerovision / nerovision express. Or https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-svcd-vcd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As always, well done and thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nero would be my last choice as the free VCDEasy is much better for this, but you could use Nero if you must. Just understand that Nero doesn't adhere 100% to VCD standards (they come close, but they botched some things) and you may or may not have small playback issues on any given DVD player as a result. Usually Nero created VCDs work well, but I can't guarantee you that this is the case on all DVD players. For example, you might possibly find on a Nero burned disc that you can't "time jump" to specific places on the disc (ie. you can't jump to 5 minute 5 second mark), but it otherwise plays fine. Or you might have zero problems. I just warn you that you MIGHT have problems with Nero created VCDs, but very very rarely do VCDEasy created VCDs have problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have Windows Media, so VCDEasy does not work. I made a bin with VCDImagerGUI using the MPEG1_VCD_NTSC.mpg from Procoder and burned it to a CDR with IMGBurn. My DVD player recognizes it as a "Video CD" but does not play it - why do you suppose? Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly ImgBurn does not understand the .cue sheet created by
    VCDImager (or it does not deal with Mode2 disk images --- or
    both things, I am not sure =^.^= ). Try mounting a virtual CD
    upon the cue+bin pair with Daemon Tools and then do a disk-copy with
    Nero, cdrecord, or any other burnware available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    cdrwin or alcohol 120% are 2 more programs that do burn bin/cue files properly.

imgburn never did bin/cue at all that i know of.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So IMGBurn just burned the bin as a file file to the disk, when it should have been burning with/from the cue sheet? It's curious that my DVD player says the disc is a "Video CD." Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    without the cue being used the "bin" will just be burned as an iso. vcd/svcd have specific cd formats that need to be adhered to which can't happen without the cue being used to tell the burner how to handle the process.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kippard
    I don't have Windows Media, so VCDEasy does not work.
    What?
    I must've missed something here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    smurf - i was gonna ask the same thing, but after a while i guess i've just started to let the oddball ones go.......
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    smurf - i was gonna ask the same thing, but after a while i guess i've just started to let the oddball ones go.......
    Yeah.

Sometimes I just walk away confused (this post).
    Sometimes I get really aggravated and bitchy (recent blank DVD posts).

Sigh.... time to hit the big "X" on the browser. Enough for one day.

Sometimes I wonder why I even go online anymore....
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Haha. I don't know what to tell you, when I launch VCDEasy it says, "Windows Media Player is not installed on this Windows, but is required by VCDEasy."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Haha. I don't know what to tell you, when I launch VCDEasy it says, "Windows Media Player is not installed on this Windows, but is required by VCDEasy."
    I've used VCDEasy for years, never saw that.
    That was the last free version 1.1.5.2.

Anyway, see https://forum.videohelp.com/topic272985.html

Alternatively, VCDGear is very simple, and free.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What the... ? I've NEVER seen this before from VCDEasy.
    1. Are you using a Mac? If so, VCDEasy won't work for you.
    2. If you are running Windows, then why the heck do you not have Windows Media Player already installed?

I don't think ImgBurn can be used to burn CD-Rs. Previous versions wouldn't do it at all, but I can't say I've honestly tried with the current release.

As to why your DVD player won't play it. there are a lot of reasons.
    1. You botched the creation of the image.
    2. You botched the burn.
    3. ImgBurn botched the burn because it can't do this kind of burning.
    4. Your DVD player doesn't like your brand of media.
    There are probably others, but those come to mind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Euro-Windows, I think. The cue sheet was not used in the CDR burn. I used the latest IMGBurn, but I don't see any mention of bin/cue in the IMGBurn guides. When I browsed for a file to burn, IMGBurn did not see the cue file. Thank you for all the support.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't HAVE to burn a CUE sheet. Burning the BIN file is 100% OK. So you used a program and you're not even sure that it worked? No offense but you have a LOT of problems here.

1. Please go to http://www.microsoft.com and download Windows Media Player so that VCDEasy will be happy.
    2. Create your VCD after you know that VCDEasy is OK.
    3. Burn the BIN file with Nero or something free that can burn BIN images.
    http://www.glorylogic.com/index.html
    might be able to do it, but I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMGBurn burned the bin fine. The disc is identified by my PC and my DVD as a Video CD, but it does not play in the DVD player. The disc has many [VCD] folders and the DAT file therein will play in VLC, but that is not what you want from a VCD. I used a program and I'm not sure it worked? Huh? Problems, yes. This is a support forum n'est–ce pas? If you mean IMGBurn, it burned the disc but...well, you know the rest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you still need to get something that properly burns bin/cue format multitrack cd-xa mode2/form2 discs. afaik cdrwin, alcohol 120% and vcdeasy were about the only choices.

not much going on these days with vcd and svcd so i doubt anyone else is adding support. even some dvd standalone players are dropping support for those formats.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try it again with Burnatonce. It has worked great for me in the past.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt it's a burning problem. ImgBurn can burn CDs without any problem.
    Previously I used to use Fireburner or Burnatonce to make VCDs from VCDEasy's cue/bins.

Which version of VCDEasy are you using? The free one or the more recent demo?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone has their favorite app (some free, some cost a few bucks).

Some CD/DVD Burners come with included software that can make VCD's and/or DVD's.

Ulead's DVD MovieFactory can make VCD's -- they have a free trial that might work for you...

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, ImgBurn will not work for burning VCD's http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5000&hl=SVCD
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, make sure that you are truly using version 1.1.5.2 of VCDEasy. If you are using any later version without paying, then you will have no joy. Others have already suggested it, but you never confirmed that this is what you are using.

Next, VCDEasy has a utility for checking the source mpg file for compliance. So, once you get VCDEasy up and running, you can use it to see if there is a problem with the source file that causes the final VCD not to play in a standalone player. This can happen, for example, if the mpg file has an odd bit rate (or variable bitrate), aspect ratio, or some other thing. VLC can play many off-spec files, so success with VLC doesn't tell you very much (other than that VLC is a very forgiving app). Some DVD players are very fussy about compliance (for example, Sony players). Others are very tolerant (eg, the cheap ones from China).

Strictly speaking, you don't need a cue sheet at all, btw. All of the bits you need are actually in the .bin file. Some burning apps use the cue sheet for convenience, but well-written software can actually infer what they need from just the bin file. In fact, there are apps that regenerate cue files from bin files to make things easier for those not-so-well written burning apps that need cue files.

Finally, use burnatonce. It's free, and is known to produce VCDs (that's what I use regularly, and I've never had it fail).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [duplicate post]
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louv68
    Unfortunately, ImgBurn will not work for burning VCD's http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5000&hl=SVCD
    Nice of you to post that, but I don't think Kippard is really paying attention to what we say. He (yes, I would bet just about anything I have this Kippard is a dude despite the photo of Agent Scully) seems to be one of the close minded people we get here from time to time who needs help, but doesn't really want to listen to what we have to say. I think I've spent enough time trying to help some guy who doesn't really want to listen to what we are saying, so I'm not going to participate in this thread any more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To burn the bin/cue file try InfraRecorder.

VCDEasy added mediaplayer somewhere between 1.2.x and 1.5x I used 1.2.1 through Wine on Linux (no WMP ) to study the XML couldn't use the last free version because of WMP. If you don't want to install WMP, and want simple (S)VCD creation give VCDImagerGUI a shot.

The cue file is 100% needed for a proper VCD because of the pregaps. You can burn the bin file and hope for the best, and it may even play somewhere. But thats like burning a DVD-VIDEO only using iso9660 and not adding UDF 1.02. Sure, some DVD players may play it back, but a proper DVD-VIDEO it is not.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    ...I'm not going to participate in this thread any more.
    lol. Good riddance, jman98. You're acerbic. And you are wrong, apparently, if the cue sheet is, in fact, needed - as disturbed1 and aedipuss write. Thank you disturbed1 et al. I used VCDImagerGUI. I'll try InfraRecorder. I'm on my way to a proper VCD! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there's another burning app that may work. i've just tried the 12-2007 portable version of cdrtfe. seems to do the job correctly if you select the cdr tab and bin/cue and then cue from the down file loading popup.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/cdrtfe

can't say i ever noticed this free app before but it may help you.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Again, strictly speaking, a cue file is not necessary. It is definitely a convenience, however, which is why it evolved, and which is why most burning software makes use of it.

If the burning software knows it is to burn a VCD, then it knows it is to burn a Mode 2 disc, with the correct pregaps. The bin file contains all of the necessary information directly related to the movie proper. Look at it this way: The original mpg file is the movie, from which the bin and cue files are generated. The bin file contains all of the information present in the mpg file. Hence, it could be used in place of the mpg file to generate the cue file.
    Quote Quote