VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'd like to improve the DVDR's I'm making with a image or label has anyone veiws on the methods.

1. Casio disk printer. Seems to be a thermal printer gives basic text and image. Don't know if it can be used on created disks as the heat could blank the disk?

2. Inkjet. I currently use silver disks and I'd need to get in some printables, not to mention a differnt printer.

3. Inkjet labels. Seems the simpler method as any inkjet and use on burnt disks. But has anyone had problems with them. I'm creating mostly VHS dubs and archiving them, so its no good getting good disks and dubbing well if the stickers start curling up and jam in the player!

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My vote goes with inkjet printables. I use white TY's and never have any issues. I used to use sticky labels but had problems with skipping and freezing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a Casio Disk Title Printer at the local thrift store sealed in the box for $8. These go for around $50 online. I am very happy with it. The software to use it on the PC gives some more options but the software is crappy and confusing (to me anyway), I just use the printer without the PC to make quick decent looking CD labels.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Printer-Qwerty-keyboard-CW-75/dp/B0000BV1LH
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StuR
    3. Inkjet labels. Seems the simpler method as any inkjet and use on burnt disks. But has anyone had problems with them. I'm creating mostly VHS dubs and archiving them, so its no good getting good disks and dubbing well if the stickers start curling up and jam in the player!
    Read the 3rd stick down in the MEDIA forum....

https://forum.videohelp.com/media-f27.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stay away from stick on labels fro DVDs. Do a search of the forums here and you'll see an exhaustive series of threads that all come to the same conclusion - that in a large number of cases, sticky labels cause playback problems.

I use inkjet printable with an Epson Stylus printer (can't quite recall model number) that was $90. very happy with the results and gives a more "professional" look than stick on labels. I only use that printer for CDs and DVDs so the ink has lasted quite awhile. It might take a couple of tries to get that first calibration right but after than its a breeze. I'm sure other brands produce just as good results for the same price.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have hundreds of stick on label and no problems over the years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    sharpie for me
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do not use sticky labels at all for any reason.

I consider disc labeling a waste of time anyhow. If you want to make something nice to go with the disc, put your effort into a nice DVD case. Those get up to several minutes of viewing time, while disc art can only hope for several seconds at most. Lots of effort for little return.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Same 3 things I use along with the TY's, works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpie Retractable for one handed operation (you hold the disk in your other hand....).

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Retractable_Fine_Point_Permanent_Marker.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's be nice to have a small plotter where you load the disc, a sharpie, and it writes on the disc in very nice handwriting. Or maybe a leroy with a sharpie attachment.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpy + a calligraphy class at the jr college.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I’ve been using the Casio disk printer (a CW-50) for several years. [I got it for $40- $10 rebate]. I have the USB model that needs a computer. Many branded disks can print with this. However, it prints funny if there are lines on the disk. (I just align the disk to print in a blank area)
    I’ve never had any issues with heat.
    I fooled around with some disks when I first got the printer– (because the thermal transfer method had me curious) You would have to get the disk very hot to mess up the printing. I'd worry about damage to the disk itself before I'd worry about “blanking” the label.

It can be printed on almost any type disk-- the issue seems to be how smooth the surface is. Some disks don’t take the transfer well. Sometimes you can print twice if the first pass did not work. Ideally, use disks specified for thermal printing– (these come in silver and white). Also the disk is completely impervious to water– unlike inkjets. You can also ask where you buy the disks if they can be printed with a thermal printer. I’ve found many work although they’re not specifically designed for it. The Casio cartridges are inexpensive and they do not dry out or clog. Printing ‘dries’ instantly. Prints start about at $0.14 and up per disk-- depending on how many "areas" you print.
    Although you can use any font/style on your computer, I tend to use only the clearest fonts Arial, Arial condensed, Impact, Universe Condensed, CG Omega for printing on these disks.
    People often comment on how crisp and professional the writing is– the graphics that you can use with this look cheesy to me (so I don’t bother with them).
    http://tinyurl.com/yc6sgh
    The Casio is not for everything but it is good for a lot of things where some basic text is needed. I think different models offer slightly higher printing resolution– (but I haven’t seen the need for it) as well as turning the disks automatically (you have to position the disk manually each time you print the various areas with mine)

Another printer you might consider is the Dymo DiscPainter– I’ve seen these in person at the retail B& H and they look impressive.
    http://tinyurl.com/34yv75

The cost is about $0.40 a disk. The printer is pricey though. (nearly $300) However, all reports I’ve read is that it is much more reliable than inkjets that serve double-duty. As, I send out my photos for printing a printer that also prints on media isn’t a necessity for me.
    Also at Amazon (there’s a bunch of reviews here too)
    http://tinyurl.com/33onbj

I would also, second/ third about putting labels on your disks– it might be ok for DATA disks but not for disks that will be played in a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx all, no time to answer all, but basically I'd quite like to have pretty disks but was sure i'd seen concerns with sticky label, now I now I did.
    So I'll leave it for now and consider printable TY's if I produce some backup copies of the orig dubs.
    Cheers for avoiding a time wasting diversion.
    Quote Quote