VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have some medical DVDs which I wanted to backup. They backup fine, exact duplicate copies, using any program. I used DVDFab Platinum for copying. However, when I install the program and try to run it, it keeps on asking for the original DVD. Is there any way to check which kind of copy protection they might be using, and how to bypass it? DVDFab was supposed to duplicate all copy protected DVDs but its not doing it.

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's more of a software protection rather than a video DVD ripping problem. You may need to use AnyDVD or something along those lines. Most (if not all) rippers work on the actual disc protection. Your protection is within the software itself. There may be little to no "rip" protection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True, but how would the software know that it is not the original DVD? There must be some file or something that it tries to read, and that should be duplicable, no?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try duplicate DVD with alcohol 120%.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Data DVD's (such as navigation DVD's) can be somewhat difficult to copy....and same type of data CD can be even worse. They appear to copy fine but will not work. Some...like my VW Navi DVD's have a uncopyable "thing" built IN to the disc that is read by the head unit...and that "thing" is not copied during the normal backup process.
    This may not the the exact scenario we are dealing with here...but you never know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are areas of the DVD (media) structure that can only be written to by pressing plants. This is why you cannot create a DVD Video with CSS encryption using a standard burner or standard blank discs. Some data discs write protection to these areas when they are pressed, and refer back to them when you run them. You cannot replicate the missing information in these cases. Some people are are able to circumvent these checks by patching the code in the programs themselves to stop them checking at all. But that isn't something you can just decide to do with out a lot of knowledge.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm right. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.. most helpful. It seems I'd better take good care of the originals, and forget about copying!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Have you tried Daemon tools. make an iso copy and play from the hd
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Daemon tools would simply play the same info, resulting in the same error.

It's probably (as guns1inger suggested) like the Playstation games, where certain bits were pressed onto the discs. The discs could be copied well enough, but that missing "flag" would prevent the game from being played without a boot disc of hardware mod.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Data and software DVD's often use different protection schemes than Video DVD's

For example, Laserock and Safedisc put digital signatures on the disc and use this to authenticate if the disc is inserted in the drive.

Often, you can bypass these "checks" by using a disc image and an emulator. Daemon's tools as mentioned above, has emulation for Safedisc, Securom, Laserlock and a few others. The key is to find out what kind of protection is being used; or you can just turn on all emulation.

The escalation of protection schemes and backup solutions is similar Video DVD's - a new DVD comes out, and AnyDVD/DVD Fab Platinum come out with a new solution each week...

This is a grey area, and if I am "saying too much" mods, please lock it up.

Cheers
    Quote Quote