VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got hauppauge pvr 150 and the tv tuner software is a complete joke. The program is very slow, feed is very delayed (so no microphone input or it will be out of sync) and the controls are horrible... so wintv software with the hauppauge pvr 150 does not work for all those reason...

InterVideo WinDVR 3.0 does work as for as speed goes (if its not instant it seems instant, and microphone input works).... big problem with that program is that record does not work...

I tried beyond TV and it also has the same feed delay as WinTv.

Any good suggestion? I got the tv tuner just to record, but its also important that the feed is instant so I can use mic input.

edit: InterVideo Home Theater has the same problem, no delay but it does not records videos (this one does not even give me a error, simple creates the AVI but never adds any data)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the Hauppauge PVRs the delay comes from buffereing the input so it can do real time MPEG2 VBR encoding. It has nothing to do with the software used to record it. Because the PVR output is a MPEG2 Transport Stream there's no way to add a microphone feed to it anyway. To add a voice-over the mic needs to be mixed in at the input of the card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    olyteddy said it all............
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you need AVI recording, I don't recommend the PVR-150. It doesn't work well for a significant number of people. The PVR-250 and PVR-350 (different chip sets from the 150) just work for everybody without problems. Do note that all of Hauppauge's cards have a lag while recording. If you are trying to do some kind of real time recording of video games, it's probably not your best choice. I'm not sure what would be a good choice for recording video games. Because I don't have the PVR-150 and WinTV works fine for me on my PVR-350, I'm sorry but I can't recommend anything else for you to try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It wasn't made to work with Web cam type setup I take that what your trying to do?.
    A reg camcorder dose work but have hook up audio to PVR audio input.
    I not 100% sure on this but I don't think you can hook up a microphone to reg audio line input I think you have a Microphone pre-amp or some other type device to inface it for it to work I never done this and had no use for that type of setup.
    And as olyteddy said the card you have is Hardware Encoder so there always be a delay comes from audio and video input due to the real time mpeg encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by olyteddy
    With the Hauppauge PVRs the delay comes from buffereing the input so it can do real time MPEG2 VBR encoding. It has nothing to do with the software used to record it. Because the PVR output is a MPEG2 Transport Stream there's no way to add a microphone feed to it anyway. To add a voice-over the mic needs to be mixed in at the input of the card.
    If that is the case why does InterVideo WinDVR 3 play it without any lag?

Right now I watch TV using InterVideo WinDVR 3 with my mic input and its all synced up.

My main goal here is to record TV using my TV tuner software.

If a program can display it a regular speed, then I figured there must also be another program that can play it and record it at normal speed.

I dont care what format the end movie is in, as long as I can record it (and then edit it, etc).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand what the mic input has to do with it. The PVR-150 outputs audio from the internal tuner. For external inputs it has audio inputs on the card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. well here was my setup

STB to TV (yellow cable )
    STB to TV Tuner (s-video)
    STB to mic input (red/white to 3.5mm audio cable)

That way I could listen to my tv on my headphones both on my tv tuner or my TV without changing anything.

What I setup but did not install beyond TV yet (WTF, I think my splitter is screwing up my INet connection, will try a other splitter tommorow if inet is still working good):
    STB to TV (RF coax out)
    STB to TV tuner (composite)
    TV to PC (RCA to mic input)

That way id get audio the same way, I just could not play both at the same time.

But the delay would still make changing channels hard (delay with software + delay with the old STB = bah). I also do not remember if Beyond TV was able to record (because there no NO WAY I would ever use WinTV, its like it was coded by monkeys or something)....
    Quote Quote  
  9. First of all I don't know this card (but i owned 3 cards in the past )
    I have googled it and found this:

Chip vidéo & compresseur MPEG : Connexant CX23416-12
    • Format du Bus : PCI 2.1
    • Format Tuner TV : Tuner PAL / SECAM 125 canaux
    • Entrée Vidéo : 1 Composite RCA / S-Vidéo
    • Résolution capture : 1600 x 1200 en fixe.
    • Résolution MPEG-1 : MPEG-1 compatible CD-Vidéo (VCD 352 x 288 an 25 img/sec.)
    • Résolution MPEG-2 : Max. 720 x 576 en 25 img/sec.
    • Couleurs : 24 bits

in other words it's almost like the card i own currently

The previous card i owned had a "CX......" Connexant

I used windvr 3.0 to record from the satellite through the s-video input (with great results) & virtual vcr to record vhs tapes.

And please don't use the mic input of your sound card , use the appropriate input "(marked in green generally).
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by SignedupGuest
    But the delay would still make changing channels hard (delay with software + delay with the old STB = bah).
    Use the "Enable Live Preview" hack at Amontillado's site to reduce the lag:

http://www.cask-of-amontillado.com/pvr_reg.html#_Enable_Live_Preview

The PVR-150 may use different registry keys though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    STB to mic input (red/white to 3.5mm audio cable)
    This wrong it should going to PVR card audio input that why there a 3.5mm audio jack it a line input which why you have audio delay
    Quote Quote  
  12. mic input or line in input its all the same :P

Anyway...

right now I have composite into my video card...

I am using the trial and beyond TV (god damnit that program is so complicated)... anyone know the voodoo witchcraft to get it to start record and were it records to? I think I got it to record, but still clueless were its being saved it or even if its recording.... (found it, but still dont know how to just get the thing TO RECORD no questions asked)

lol... If only windvr would record I could see myself using Beyond TV, but the thing is like trying to solve
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try "Drive letter":\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SnapStream\
    or was it
    "Drive letter":\Documents and Settings\"Profile Name"\Application Data\SnapStream\
    Ask on the SnapStream forum after all that what it there for at
    http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/index.php
    I use SageTV I give up on BeyondTV and min of the BeyondTV user are migrate to SageTV.
    Read this http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43398
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can use the freeware software GB-PVR which is suppose to be a good alternative to the software that is supplied with most TV Tuner cards. Or, you can use Windows Media Center for XP or Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No doubt about it GB-PVR is awesome! I am forever greatful that its free.

You can also use live preview with it too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "mic input or line in input its all the same "

Um, not really. Do you consider a 2 ton pickup truck and a Porsche 959 the same? They both have seats, engine and a steering wheel in them.

The mic input and line input are designed to receive signals at different volume levels and impedances. If you use tools properly and the way they were designed to be used, it can make life a little easier. For my capture gear it says specifically NOT to use the Mic instead of Line Input.

Keep on doing things the hard way if you like. Best of luck to ya. You can lead a horse to water...

Cheers,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
  17. Most inputs on sound cards are now mic/line with attenuation when used as line.
    Quote Quote