VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I just purchased a Philips 5982/37 stand alone DVD player mostly for the fact that it plays Divx ultra. My panasonic HDTV states it will play 480i, 720i, and 1080i through it's DVI input.( it's a 2 year old T.V. ). The Philips states it supports 480i, 720i, 1080i, and 1080p through it's HDMI output. I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable with separate audio jacks. How can I determine what the picture, on the T.V. is when playing a regular DVD movie? I can manually set the HDMI output of the DVD player to 1080i, but there is a button on the front of the Philips DVD player titled "upconverting", that when pushed only displays the output as 480i. No matter how many times you push it, it only shows 480i. So which do you think it actually is? 1080i as set in the setup menu for HDMI output, or 480i as show when pushing the "upcoverting" button? The Panasonic T.V. does not have any menu functions for setting the input to 1080i or any other resolution setting, it says it automatically detects the incoming signal, and adjusts the T.V. for that signal. The only option is that 1080i only works when the T.V. is set for 16x9 which it is.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elmertborts
    Hi
    I just purchased a Philips 5982/37 stand alone DVD player mostly for the fact that it plays Divx ultra. My panasonic HDTV states it will play 480i, 720i, and 1080i through it's DVI input.( it's a 2 year old T.V. ). The Philips states it supports 480i, 720i, 1080i, and 1080p through it's HDMI output. I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable with separate audio jacks. How can I determine what the picture, on the T.V. is when playing a regular DVD movie? I can manually set the HDMI output of the DVD player to 1080i, but there is a button on the front of the Philips DVD player titled "upconverting", that when pushed only displays the output as 480i. No matter how many times you push it, it only shows 480i. So which do you think it actually is? 1080i as set in the setup menu for HDMI output, or 480i as show when pushing the "upcoverting" button? The Panasonic T.V. does not have any menu functions for setting the input to 1080i or any other resolution setting, it says it automatically detects the incoming signal, and adjusts the T.V. for that signal. The only option is that 1080i only works when the T.V. is set for 16x9 which it is.

Thanks
    Most HDTV sets will display a "1080i" on screen display (OSD) when connected. You should also have other indications the input is 1080i such as screen adjustments when you change to and from other 480i and 1080i sources.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For my TV, I can just press the "info" button on my remote. It will then display information related to the input I am currently using, such as the resolutionl
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elmertborts

How can I determine what the picture, on the T.V. is when playing a regular DVD movie? I can manually set the HDMI output of the DVD player to 1080i, but there is a button on the front of the Philips DVD player titled "upconverting", that when pushed only displays the output as 480i. No matter how many times you push it, it only shows 480i. So which do you think it actually is? 1080i as set in the setup menu for HDMI output, or 480i as show when pushing the "upcoverting" button? The Panasonic T.V. does not have any menu functions for setting the input to 1080i or any other resolution setting, it says it automatically detects the incoming signal, and adjusts the T.V. for that signal. The only option is that 1080i only works when the T.V. is set for 16x9 which it is.

Thanks
    I have a JVC XV-N650 upconverting DVD player that auto switches from 1080i to 480p when a copy protected DVD disc is loaded. Most upconverting DVD players revert to 480i or 480p for protected commercial discs. Mine stays in 1080i mode for HDMI or analog components out when playing DVDR discs.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote