VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am looking at useing port forwarding to open a certain port on my PC to improve a program and apparently I need to first create a static IP address.

1 - First of all how do I check if I have a dynamic or static IP address??

2 - Second if I change to a static IP will that mess up my PCs connecting to the internet? On the family network there are 2 PCs that connect via a Dlink DI-704p router and 1 PC that has all the bigpond sh*t on it has to be on for either to connect to the net. Both will still need to connect.

3 - Third I read that if 2 PCs in the world get the same static address neither will be able to connect to the net.....how do I ensure that no PC has the address I get?

4 - As everything is working fine right now, if I f**k things up changing to static is it easy to revert to dynamic and have everything working again as is now??

5 - Instead of changing to static can I find my dynamic IP address each time I boot up and open the port I need with that address everythime I run the program??

6 - Do dynamic address change each time you boot up or everytime you open the internet browser (i.e. IE or FF)???

Thanks, just trying to learn some stuff before I muck about with my PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Check your LAN NIC in the TCP/IP settings. It will say DHCP or show a fixed address. Most routers can be set up for DHCP or static addresses. Probably all computers on the LAN will have to be the same. I think routers can only be set up for one or the other, not both.

2. Your router's where you can create static (fixed) IP addresses for each computer on your LAN. Usually the range is 192.168.0.X or similar. Check your router. D-link routers can be contacted with a browser at a address of 192.168.0.1 most times. The login is 'admin' and it may or may not have a password set. If not, just hit 'return'.

3. Your ISP provided address may be fixed or dynamic. Your ISP provides your internet address. It sees to it that they are each unique. Ask them, or check it. Mine hasn't changed in several years. Dynamic may change each time or just occasionally, or when you unplug and reboot the modem, if you have cable or DSL. DSL seems to use dynamic more often.

4. Not hard to go back, but if you set up static addresses in your router, your computers may have to be set for static. But most times their DHCP settings will find the router without any problems. Just reboot them. My laptop is set for DHCP, but I have a fixed address for it in the router.

5. You could, but it could be time consuming. Of course your router may issue the same DHCP address each time. Check your IP NIC address after each reboot. Most routers can be set up for DHCP or fixed addresses.

6. Some ISPs provide fixed addresss or dynamic. As in #3 above.

I've used a D-704P before. 'P' is for printer server, correct? It's been a while. It's easy to set up. You can go to D-link and DL a manual.

You also might want to visit http://portforward.com/ to set up port forwarding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks very much for the detailed response, you have helped me a lot.
    Quote Quote