VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

Lovecraft - The Newbie here. Found this forum on a google search and it seems like the perfect place to post my query.

Before proceeding, I would like to add that I have read Baldrick's excellent and very extensive guide on MKV to AVI conversion and its with that guide that I have proceeded...upto a point. Beyond that, I am flummoxed and need your help.

Here I go :

I got my hands on an outstanding high-definition wildlife video with the MKV extension. Initially not knowing what MKV stood for, I searched and found out about the Matroska encoding format and the players needed to play the file. However, to truly let the whole family enjoy the video, I wanted to convert it to AVI format so that I could play it on my Philips DivX DVD Player which is in my living room. After a thorough search of this forum, I zeroed in on Baldrick's tutorial.

Here are a few specs of the video : 4.57 GB, HDTV 720p.

I have so far tried 2 things :

1. I used the AlltoAVI converter. But all I get after 6 hours of processing is an AVI file with no video and only audio. So I junked that idea. I knew it was never going to be that easy.

2. I installed the CCCP codec pack, then I used MKVExtractGUI and split the file into its constituent parts. Heres what I got after the split. There are 6 parts in all.

a) AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Chapters.txt (1 KB)
    b) AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 1.h264 (4.182 GB)
    c) AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 2.ac3 (393.8 MB)
    d) AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 3.ass (110KB)
    e) AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 4.ass (113KB)
    f) TCCEB.TTF (73KB)

According to Baldrick's tutorial, the pieces can be joined using VirtualDubMod into a single AVI file with MP3 audio. But I could not figure out how to do it with all these parts.

So please help me guys and guide me on how to proceed. Detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. As a side note, before I installed CCCP Codec Pack, I used to rely on the famous KLite codec pack for playback of all my video files. The 720p wildlife video runs beautifully using Media Player Classic which is bundled with the codec pack. However, I uninstalled it as I thought it would caused some conflicts with the CCCP Codec pack I was going to install. Now, when I try to run the video, it looks absolutely awful with the colors all wrong. Just FYI.

Looking forward to your help.

Thank you so much.

Lovecraft123
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 1.h264

That is the video file and it is h264 and it also is probably in a 720p resolution like 1280x(whatever) so you need to re-encode it to a standard definition DivX or XviD AVI file. By standard definition I mean something like 640x(whatever) so ...

Determine what resolution the h264 video file is as this will determine what resolution you use for the DivX or XviD AVI file. You can post that here if you need help on determining what resolution to use.

After that you need to re-encode and you can remux the audio file. For the subtitles ... not sure if the ASS format is supported by the Philips... you may have to convert to SRT which I know is supported OR you can hard encode the subtitles into the video if 1.) You absolutely need the subtitles and 2.) You only need one of the two available.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    AmazonBasinDream_720p HDTV_Track 1.h264

That is the video file and it is h264 and it also is probably in a 720p resolution like 1280x(whatever) so you need to re-encode it to a standard definition DivX or XviD AVI file. By standard definition I mean something like 640x(whatever) so ...

Determine what resolution the h264 video file is as this will determine what resolution you use for the DivX or XviD AVI file. You can post that here if you need help on determining what resolution to use.

After that you need to re-encode and you can remux the audio file. For the subtitles ... not sure if the ASS format is supported by the Philips... you may have to convert to SRT which I know is supported OR you can hard encode the subtitles into the video if 1.) You absolutely need the subtitles and 2.) You only need one of the two available.

Thanks for your reply FulciLives......but I still have absolutely no idea what to do. You must understand that I am not very adept at techie stuff.

So I would really appreciate it if you could list out in detail what I am supposed to do AND how I should go about doing it (tools to use, codecs to install etc.)

People....help a desperate guy out will ya!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I was trying the same thing. I'm still a newbie myself and I haven't tested this on a dvd player yet, probably going to try in 1-2 days but it works on my PC so far.

First I use MKVExtractGui to extract everything. Then I use AlltoAvi and convert the h264 to an avi (xvid/divx). After I convert the audio's to mp3 with VirtualDubMod. You probably need to try another program for ac3 converting. Someone recommended dbPowerAmp, see if that works for you, I haven't been able to get the ac3 working, but it might just be me. Then finally convert the ass subs with subtitleworkshop or subresync to an srt. Mux them all together with either VirtualDubMod or AVImux-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for reply MasterRoshi. Can you tell me what settings you used in AllToAvi for the conversion of h264 to avi? I need individual settings for each option. I know I'm asking a lot.

The number of options is bewildering and none of them make any sense to me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try this
    1. Open AllToAVI
    2. On the Main Screen drag and drop your MKV file to the "Drag and Drop Here" position. This should open the Add Job window.
    3. In the Add Job window, type .mkv in the "Convert Only Extension" box
    4. Type 720 into the top box of the "Screen Size" boxes, and tick the "Lock Aspect Ratio" box.
    5. Select Bicubic in the "Select Software Scaler" drop down box
    6. Select DivX in the "Video Encoder" drop down box
    7. Select High Quality : Large File in the "Video Bitrate" drop down box
    (1000kbps will appear as default in the bitrate box). Change this to 2000.
    8. Select "Very High Quality" in the Audio Bitrate drop down box
    9. Click on "Add Job"
    10. On the "Main" window, click "Convert"

I don't know what the maximum video bitrate your Philips AVI player can handle, so I've suggested 2000 kbps, but you can go higher or lower if your player can/cannot handle this.

Hope his helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same query only I'd like to get my 720p.hdtv.x264 1gb matroska file onto a regular standard def DL RW DVD.

I can happily watch these files on my computer but my family would like to watch them from the comfort of the television on DVD.

I don't like asking for help but If no one if good enough to help out I'll never know how to do it. I'm not computer illiterate but I have no clue whatsoever when It comes to video and audio side of things. I have had a look at a few guides of sorts on here but It's all double dutch to me.

I can easily follow steps, so If some could be kind enough to tell me what I need and the steps to take I'd really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try FAVC - it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks I'll give that a look. Just so you know I don't need help with burning the converted .avi to DVD, it's just the 720p.hdtv.x264 matroska to avi proses I am clueless on, if that changes your suggestions.

I tried a conversion method like this with convertxtodvd but the result wasn't successful. Awful video quality and out of sync. I will of course try your suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee
    You could try this
    1. Open AllToAVI
    2. On the Main Screen drag and drop your MKV file to the "Drag and Drop Here" position. This should open the Add Job window.
    3. In the Add Job window, type .mkv in the "Convert Only Extension" box
    4. Type 720 into the top box of the "Screen Size" boxes, and tick the "Lock Aspect Ratio" box.
    5. Select Bicubic in the "Select Software Scaler" drop down box
    6. Select DivX in the "Video Encoder" drop down box
    7. Select High Quality : Large File in the "Video Bitrate" drop down box
    (1000kbps will appear as default in the bitrate box). Change this to 2000.
    8. Select "Very High Quality" in the Audio Bitrate drop down box
    9. Click on "Add Job"
    10. On the "Main" window, click "Convert"

I don't know what the maximum video bitrate your Philips AVI player can handle, so I've suggested 2000 kbps, but you can go higher or lower if your player can/cannot handle this.

Hope his helps
    Yea, those are basically the steps I would follow, but I extract the h264 file first. When I try to do the whole MKV file and I add the job and click convert, it doesn't do anything... But if I extract the h264 file first it works fine, although I only use 1000kbps and my video file is still pretty high quality, I think around 98-99% of the original, its animation though instead of live action.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brent.M
    I have had a look at a few guides of sorts on here but It's all double dutch to me.
    Bluntly put, if this is the case then it's extremely unlikely we could say anything that would really help. While some guides are not well written, I'll certainly admit that, some people just aren't willing to do any learning on their own.
    I have a friend like that and if something on a PC requires more than 2 or 3 buttons to be clicked or, God forbid, actually requires him to do something, he's just not interested. If you're one of those kinds of people, then use the simplest tool you can and hope for the best. If you're not one of those people, then spend time to understand what is going on and learn. We all had to start from ground zero at some point, but ultimately whether you really understand what you want to do or not is up to you. If you're not really and truly willing to read guides and take the time to understand them, you'll be very limited in what you can do and honestly most of us have better things to do than walk newbies step by step through stuff because they are too lazy to try to understand the guides that are out there. Many guides have photos and if you still don't get it with these guides, there really is little hope for you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give all this a go!

And jman98 no I'm not one of those people. Like I said I'm not computer illiterate and I can easily follow guides etc. It's just as a "rookie" the in depth stuff like audio steams,containers and what-not and things required is a bit daunting at first.

I demand the best quality possible whatever it takes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I tried the h264 file that I converted to avi and it worked on one of my players. I have some interesting results though.

One of my players will only play the default audio when I pressed the audio button I only got mono-left, mono-right, mix-mono, stereo and they were all the same language, just different sound settings. On the plus side it can display .srt and .ssa subs fine (except a bit too high from the bottom) and play OGM files with no problem!

My other player can support the dual audio, but it doesn't show any subs at all (even though they are .srt with the same file name as the video) and it couldn't play the h264 that I converted to avi, but it also had trouble with some other avi files.

So in the end, you basically have to find out what your player supports and cater to it, or buy a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you KBeee,

The result is brilliant, very happy.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what i did with a similar file

was extract the video stream and the audio streams into seperate files

use fitcd to create the avs script to re-size the video to 720*480 16:19 aspect

load that script into cce to encode the video into a mpv video only stream

use dgpulldow ( if needed) to change from source FPS to the NEEDED FPS

use gui4dvd to author a dvd using the video & audio streams
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK,

But how do you keep the HD resolution AND still burn to a dvd-r or DL dvd-r ? Sucks that you need to down-convert the HD content from 720P to 480P. Isn't there a way to still keep the 720P resolution ? OK, so the standard DVD player format doesn't play higher than 480P, other than an upconvert attempt, but the content burned is only 480P. What if your DVD burner can burn the HD content to a DVD-R, maybe not as a video file but as a data disk so you can play it in your HD DVD or Blu-Ray disk or PS3 player ?

Is that possible ? That's what I'd like to know. [color=red]If I have a 6gb mkv file that's 1080P, how can I convert it to a DL DVD AND keep the HI RESOLUTION so it will play in my HI DEF player ?[/color]

Answers/suggestions anyone ? FREE tools preferred, but I'd PAY for this valuable software. Don't think the typical Nero programs of the world can do this, or can they ?? NOT looking to buy a Blue-Ray burner myself for $500, so I'd like to use what I have. I gotta believe there is a way to preserve the HD video AND audio transfer to DVD-R. Let's keep this thread going.

-DJ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a PS3 and it can do 720p DivX files as long as the file is not over 2GB in size. I believe it can also do 1080p as well.

The other option is that the PS3 can do MP4 and that supports 720p and I think also 1080p but you have to keep the file size under 4GB.

I think the XboX 360 can also do MP4 but I'm not sure as I only have a PS3 myself.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @FulciLives;

Back up a bit. I'm starting with a downloaded mkv file, that when extracted result in an AC3 audio file and a 1080P H264 video file; total combined about 2.2GB. What program(s), preferably a GUI and NOT command line, can I use to assemble these two files, retaining their HD attributes (video & audio), to be burnt onto a DVD-R or+R or DL so I can watch them on the big screen in HD ???

I have been able to play lower resolution Divx and Xvid videos off of a USB stick and Memory stick on my PS3. Can you tell me how to convert my 2 extracted files into an HD compatible Divx or Xvid format RETAINING the original dig'l sound properties. I don't want to go down to 2 channel stereo. I noticed when I was using a demo of AVC video converter, there were different values and options for different video codec conversions. I don't understand those individual values and generally leave them as their default, so if you make or have used a successful conversion, please make note of appropriate settings.

I've read a million posts but it seems like at best with this AVC H264 format, people have had limited success converting and playing; ie audio is out of sync, NO full dig'l audio playback, errors in NERO, compatibility differences between working in Xbar vs. a burnt disk, etc etc.

There doesn't seem to be a straight forward process so that average computer user can accomplish this task. I'll use whatever programs needed to make it work.

-DJ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there is a program called MKV2VOB and here is a short description of it from our TOOLS section: "A program which will remux mkv with x264 video and AC3 audio to a vob file which is playable on the sony ps3. No transcoding/recompression is done(mpeg2 transcoding for some files that wont work on the ps3), the streams are simply split and mux into the vob."

I tried this with a MKV file that used x264 video and AC-3 audio and MKV2VOB created a single VOB file as I recall (it's on another HDD that isn't hooked up right now ... long story) but the file size was over that of a single layer DVD disc (I think it was 6+ GB) so I have no way to transfer it to my PS3 ... was thinking of using VobEdit to see if I could cut it into two VOB files but I don't know if that would "screw it up" and I just haven't had a chance really to play with it lately. I'll have to get that HDD hooked up and see what I can do with that big ass VOB file.

So in short you might want to try MKV2VOB and let us know how it goes ... good luck !!!

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, that sounds promising. What's the deal on the single layer... can you not put it onto a DL disc ? I'll go ahead and give this a shot and report back. If no transcoding/recompression is done, then is it safe to say the created dvd-r disc will be in HD resoltuion w/ multi-channel audio, as the original file was ? And to be clear, if this is true, this will not play on a standard DVD player, but will on the PS3 correct ? And what about a standard blu-ray player ?

Will post again Monday or Tuesday. Wish me luck !

-DJ
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK I downloaded two MKV files that were x264 with AC-3

Both were 720p HDTV rips of a new TV series and I managed to miss the first 2 episodes so ...

I used MKV2VOB and got one large VOB for each MKV and the size was the same as the MKV which in this case was over 1GB but under 2GB.

I copied to a DVD-RW and copied to my PS3 (I have the 80GB model) and they both played back A-OK but I only watched one about half way and then just the first couple of minutes or so of the 2nd. Knock on wood looks A-OK.

I'll probably finish watching them tomorrow but WOW this worked out great

P.S.
    I ended up watching the 1st episode from the start ... appears that search forward/backward does not work. However it played straight through without any issues. I also watched the second one I did and again it played straight through without any issues.

Pretty sweet

For the record I have the 80GB PS3 running the 2.10 firmware. I copied the VOB files to a DVD-RW (as a data disc) and then copied the files to the HDD of the PS3 and played them back from the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WHOA ! Think we got progress here !!!!!

FulciLives, I think your direction has led me to some success

Let me be VERY specific. I had a 2.14GB mkv file of an IMAX feature @ 1080 w/ DD 5.1 consisting of a 1.96GB h264 HD video file and a 182MB AC3 audio file. I downloaded the program mkv2vob, opened it with WinZip and extracted ALL of its files and .exe's into a folder I named mkv2vob files. I mention this in case any other newbee's, like myself, do as I did and tried to simply run the individual mkv2vob.exe. It didn't work until I took all the files and copied them into the same folder so they could work together.

I then opened the folder and started mkv2vob.exe I selected the mkv file to work with. I then chose a different destination name to save to my desktop. A pop-up asked me about video conversion and I ended up choosing automatic, since it gave me a message that selecting NEVER transcode may result in an unplayable file if played on my PS3. Then extract.exe opened up and extracted the 2 files. Then FFmpege.exe opened up afterwards and began to mux the whole thing together into the .vob file, but I noticed that I saw a lot of packet too large/buffer underflow file size errors and it was ignoring them.

Out came my vob file, now in a 4.46GB filesize, up from 2.14GB. Turns out this was about 80 MB too big for a single layer DVD-R, so I had to use a DL DVD+R. I opened up Nero Express and chose to burn a DVD data disc without making any changes in the options tab. I wasn't even able to choose It took about 45 minutes for it to speed test and burn the disc. I inserted the disc into my PS3 and tabbed over on the X-media bar to Video. There was a data disc visible. I selected it and it then gave me the track title, date, duration, and listed MPEG2. I selected the info tab and got this:

Filesize...........4572MB
    Resolution.......1440x1080
    Video codec.....MPEG2 15.4 mbps
    Audio codec......Dolby Digital 640kbps

I chose to play the file and there it was, it opened and I saw my A/V receiver display dolby digital. I used the PS3 gamepad to access the display option and it read:

DD 5.1 CH 48khz; the audio bitrate ranged in the 630-ish range during playback as expected
    MPEG2 ; the video bitrate varied from 4mbps-40mbps with 12-20 being most frequent, again as expected

HOWEVER, there were a few scenes where they showed up-close photos that possibly were in very very high resolution and resulted in stuttered audio and video playback. I looked on the display bar and noticed that the bitrate went from 30/40mbps just before the stutter, to 80mbps and over 200mbps !!! The disc did not stop playing just stuttered the playback and continued playing. This happened on 2 or 3 scenes lasting a few seconds each. Other than that, everything went great ! Now I'm trying to figure out what caused it to go from 40mbps to 200+mbps.

ANY IDEAS ??? I also tried to force NO transcoding, and it resulted in a slightly larger than original file; 2.17GB up from 2.14GB. When I selected this option, it went from extract.exe to H264info alpha .13 and it automatically began to process the file; took it about 30 minutes. Then lastly, FFmpeg.exe worked its magic in just 5 minutes. Unfortunately, when I tried to play it in my PS3, I got audio, BUT NO VIDEO. Too bad because everything showed up in the Xbar Media like it did on my first try with info although this time it did not say it was MPEG2, it said it was an AVC file.

Another thing I wanted to ask you was that I was unclear as you had mentioned it twice about keeping the vob filesize down around 2gb. What's that all about ? I figured since the first file was more than twice that, my attempt would fail miserably but clearly it didn't. Other than Nero Express, any other simple programs to perform this vob burn process ? Soundz like a rookie question, I know, but I'd like to know what else I can use. I now have 4 coasters from today's experiments .

Now, if I have a 10GB mkv file and it results in a 20GB .vob file, what's the best way to stick it onto 3 DL DVD's ? I also tried the .vob process on a short mkv file (20MB) but mkv2vob was unable to work with it because the audio was AAC/MPEG4/LC/SBR. What's that all about ? If mkv2vob won't work with that audio format, which program will ?

THANK YOU so much for your help so far. Your simple instructions here have yileded me much more success in a day compared to the hundreds of pages I've read from various threads here and elsewhere. I hope everyone else has at least as much success to this point as I now have. I look forward to hearing back from ANYONE who can help me conquer this last hiccup.

-DJ
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a long ways from being an MKV expert

looking at hardware though is something else, i think your stuttering on the video is simply because the DVD format was not designed to give that high a play back data rates, copying the file to HDD on the PS3 allows for the faster data access rate of the HHD to be used

as for the MKV and the audio, you might extract the audio, convert it, then mux a NEW mkv file with audio in the format that 'mkv2vob' expects to find, its an extra step that should not take but a few minutes, since you are only converting the audio and then remuxing

again fuculives used a 720P stream and you used a 1088 stream, that is quite a bit more data to be decompressed and displayed

blu-ray and HDdvd are designed with higher data rates in mind, higher data rates are the main thing that make the high resolutions avialable
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 will NOT play an AVI file that is over 2GB in size. That is only for AVI files.

I thought I read that for MP4 the file size doesn't matter except if it is bigger than a single layer DVD it will cause problems as you have to get it to the PS3 somehow and a DVD makes that easy. Who wants to waste a dual layer DVD etc.?

Also ... at least for now (this may change) ... the PS3 will work with an external USB HDD but only one formatted in FAT32 which means that no file ... NO file at all ... can be bigger than 4GB in file size.

Perhaps the 4GB thing can be gotten around some other way like networking although the way the PS3 networks is a pain-in-the-ass that makes that a bit difficult. For instance I can only get Windows XP Media Player to work and it won't serve a MP4 file to the PS3 ... talk about making things difficult.

In my case of using MKV2VOB both of the files I converted where slightly over 1GB in file size (well I've done 3 now) and all three converted to a VOB that was the same size (more or less) as the original MKV. These files are seen as AVC by the PS3 so I don't think any transcoding happened in my case whereas in your case I think they were transcoded (well it kinda sounds like it but no I'm not sure).

I really don't have anymore that I can say at this point other than new future PS3 firmware will makes things easier ... well hey I can hope

Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are great with the responses, again much much appreciated. As the saying goes, teach a man to fish and he'll eat forever. So I will continue to take advantage of your generous and superior knowledge base I haven't done much since creating those 2 DVD's, other than trying to find a good and free audio converter in a GUI (NOT command line) that will convert my AC3 to AAC. I downloaded several tools yesterday only to find out they don't open up AC3, or they are very limited trials. Any suggestions for this ? I read a recommendation elsewhere to try using YAMB, Yet another multiplex box, to combine the H264 file with an AAC file into a folder so the PS3 could read it. Not sure if this is gonna be any better than what we've done.

Again, a problem I had yesterday when I took the original mkv file and ran it thru mkv2vob with NO transcode, it gave me a filesize just a bit bigger than the original. But it seems like its a non-standard file. VLC media player plays the audio and shows NO video. Under the stream & media info, it says this file has 0 decoded blocks, 0 displayed frames and 0 lost frames in the video section. Audio data has proper decoding and play with some lost buffers. I noticed the stream bitrate ranges in the 5,000-15,000 kbps, consisting of just the audio. The advanced tab listed mpgv video codec, and a52 audio codec.

Then I tried my AUTOMATIC trancoded vob file that got doubled in size and VLC played it COMPLETELY without stuttering. Under the advanced tab for stream and media info, it listed mpgv as the video codec, and a52 as the audio codec. Under stats, the stream bitrate went as high as 92,000 kbps during those problematic scenes, but typically with 20,000-40,000 kbps.

By yet another comparison, the original mkv file DID NOT play smoothly in VLC. Track data on this were avc1 video codec, and a52 audio codec with 6 channel audio. But the video dropped 20% of the frames.

Any thoughts here on the data ? The NO TRANSCODE option did not play video, the AUTO TRANSCODE resulted in a few stuttered scenes but double the file size. I guess I'll try to fully TRANSCODE the file as the last remaining option and see what sort of results I get. Was just hoping to keep the file size to a minimum AND retain the HIGH quality video, audio, and PS3 compatability. Perhaps there are other methods or additional steps ?

OK, bonus round !!! Hands on your buzzers. Ready....

If I have the .vob file on a USB 2.0 stick, will it play better/faster than a dvd-r ?

As for networking, I have the PS3 configured to my wifi 54G. Is it a fairly easy process to configure streaming ? I do have a Nero 8 Ultra program on my laptop with a streaming app but I did not go thru any of the settings; I just haven't done it before. I'll probably tool around with it over the next few days and hopefully I can get it to stream. I also noticed that VLC has streaming support also. Would that work better or configure easier ? These media streaming apps and hardware are becoming more and more popular and I think I want to take advantage of it.

Assuming I am successful in setting up the streaming, what file type extensions will it stream AND will the stream play better via wifi instead of a USB stick, Ultra II memory stick, or DVD-R ? The PS3 HD should be quickest but internal space is somewhat limited. I really don't know which of the other methods would give you the best performance although I'd love to hear back from someone.

OK, I'm nearing the 700 word limit today, SORRY FOR THE LONG WINDED POST !!! I just assume ask as much within each post.

-DJ
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    delete.
    Quote Quote  
  27. here for those who want to play mkv files on their ps3 if it's under four gigs use gotsent to turn into mp4 file then burn as data on regular dvd this will retain resolution and audio. if it's over 4 gigs then use mkv2vob but you'll have to use a double layer dvd also burned as data. the reason being over 4 gigs on single layer gives you a data corruption error on the ps3. also if you use mkv2vob you can't fast forward the file on the ps3 any faster than 1.5 if you do it will freeze up and you'll have to start it from the beginning.also forgot to add that if the file is 4.3 gigs in gotsent if you leave the split gig checked you can burn it on a single layer dvd but gotsent will split it into 2 files and when one ends you'll have to start the other one this is the only way to fit 4.3 gigs on a single layer dvd and it will work. that's why i use mkv2vob
    and doulbelayer dvds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DELETED
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote