VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for good camera with analog -> DV converter. I loved that feature in my Sony DCR-HC30, but the new models announced by Sony for 2008 seem to lack this great thing. What do you recommend? Maybe one of the older models like Sony DCR-HC96? Or maybe something different? I don't need HD. I loved DCR-HC30 and DCR=HC40 but they are not available now. Funny thing is I think that the older Sony camcorders were better than the new ones
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Canon HV20 (HDV/DV) camcorder does a reasonable analog pass through.

Sony seems to be severely limiting features on new MiniDV models and I think they are down to only one Digital8. Older models vary. You need to dig into the spec sheets for the "analog pass-through" feature.

Since you are in Europe there are other tax issues limiting that feature to higher end models only. It seems analog recording requires higher tax in some areas.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    camcorder does a reasonable analog pass through.
    Oh, so the pass through can be better or worse? I was hoping that it is a 1/0 thing (I do have the digital signal or I don't have it). So do the analog -> digital converters in camcorders have worse quality that those installed in the computer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kb1985
    Originally Posted by edDV
    camcorder does a reasonable analog pass through.
    Oh, so the pass through can be better or worse? I was hoping that it is a 1/0 thing (I do have the digital signal or I don't have it). So do the analog -> digital converters in camcorders have worse quality that those installed in the computer?
    If you search the forums you will find discussions on time base stability over these inputs when capturing from VHS VCRs or analog camcorders. Other issues apply to NTSC only.

If you are capturing from a PAL TV tuner all are equal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I guess that there is no chance that we will see any Sony camera with pass through in the near future? I'd love to get one of those 2005 models new for a reasonable price, but no chance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kb1985
    So I guess that there is no chance that we will see any Sony camera with pass through in the near future? I'd love to get one of those 2005 models new for a reasonable price, but no chance
    Ask Sony. Canon is still including standard def analog capture and also beats Sony in most ratings at the consumer level.
    Quote Quote