VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Since Steve Jobs is launching Apple TV 2 next week, you will be able to have DVD and HD DVD movies streaming onto your big screen HDTV in your home. What is Netflix going to do? I subcribe to Netflix and do not want to pay $229.00 for Apple TV 2 converter box, plus $2.99 for each DVD or $3.99 for HD DVD movies. I called Netflix and the women that answered didn't know what I was talking about. Netflix cost me $8.99/month and I recieve one Blu-Ray movie at a time and UNLIMITED instant DVD movies streaming onto my computer monthly. Since the turn around for mailed movies is one day each way I can recieve about 12-15 Blu-ray disc. movies per month, plus the unlimited steaming movies to my computer for $8.99 plus sales tax. You don't have to be a genius to see Netflix is a great deal. Has anyone heard what Netflix is going to do, to keep up with it's new and better ( more expensive)competition from Apple?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What makes you think Apple will be better?

Most people couldn't give two shits about downloading movies.
    It's hard enough to get them to rent online as it is.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple TV is such a US centric device anyway that the rest of the world could care less. You still can't buy any decent video through iTunes outside the US. There are so many better and more versatile devices around to do this, without all the Jobs-imposed restrictions that Apple TV has that this will be like most Apple product - messianic to the converted, and a big yawn to the rest of us.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple TV is a failed product, no one in the US cares about - even the Apple True-Believers. The latest announcements are just ego enhancement since pulling the plug on the product is the correct move.

Guns1inger - even Americans aren't stupid enough to adopt it.

Besides Americans don't want to pay by the drink, they'd prefer a Netflix style pay by the bottle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not that I think this is going to be a big success or anything, but Netflix and LG announced at the end of December that they were going to produce a set-top box of some sort, to which Netflix customers could download movies, including HD ones. This is supposed to happen sometime during the second half of 2008. I don't remember the estimated cost or anything.
    It remains to be seen how many studios will allow Netflix to offer their movies this way.

The current Netflix "Instant Viewing" of movies is limited to about 6000 of their titles. Most of them are crappy. (Then again, many people would argue that the majority of *all* movies are crappy.) Plus you can only watch them on your PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not to mention Netflix isn't competing with Apple, they are in competition with Block Buster. The streaming movies is a perk/feature of Netflix over Block Buster.

You are also comparing a PC service to a TV based service. The Apple product compares better to VOD from cable/SAT providers.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote