Hello everyone,
I've made a mpg file from a VHS capture, played from a JVC HR-S9900U and captured via a Hauppauge PVR-150. My goal is to do at least some basic editing (cutting out bad video, commercials, re-ordering, etc) via Avidemux and burn the result to DVD's. I'm going to start with some questions that I've come across.

1) I open up the mpg in Avidemux and it immediately asks me, "This looks like mpeg Do you want to index it?". Apparently I have to do it, but what does indexing do in this case?

2) Once I get the video cut down to where I want it, what settings do I choose then. Right now I want to save the file with out changing anything other than the timeline. The settings for saving (on the left side of the window) for Video and Audio are set on the "Copy" setting which I 'think' they should be. However, the Format option is set on "AVI". I'm thinking that the setting I want is "MPEG video", but there are two others that I don't know if I should choose instead. They are "MPEG PS A+V" and "MPEG TS A+V". What does the PS and TS mean or do and would they be the choice I wanted?

3) I think I have this one right, but just to make sure... Since I'm making these into DVD's, I do not want to deinterlace these? Under what circumstance would I want to deinterlace?

4) When I'm ready to apply some filters, if necessary, I apparently need to choose a different Video setting other than "Copy". There's an option of "Mpeg2 Requant" that would sound right since Mpeg2 is what I would use on DVD's. But there is an option called "DVD" that sounds better. Once that is chosen and I click the configure button I have a few choices under interlacing. "Progressive", "Interlaced TFF", and "Interlaced BFF". I think I want one of the Interlaced options, but which one? What the difference between the two?

5) Also in the same dialog, there are a few other options. "Encoding Mode", "Matrix", "Gop Size", and "Max Bitrate". I'm thinking to just go with the defaults for these, not really sure what they all are though...

I know that's quite a few questions and some (all?) of them are kinda basic, but all the answers I find (if I find) often leave me more confused. As always, help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matthew