VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know there are software out there that has capability to preserve photos in the JPEG format rather than converting them to a slideshow movie file. But unfortunately I can't think of the name

My goal is the give end user the ability to modify slide duration during the playback. It's like having a JPEG player application within the authored video DVD. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zeeman
    I know there are software out there that has capability to preserve photos in the JPEG format rather than converting them to a slideshow movie file. But unfortunately I can't think of the name

My goal is the give end user the ability to modify slide duration during the playback. It's like having a JPEG player application within the authored video DVD. Thanks.
    A lot of new DVD players out there that can do what you're looking for. I have an old player at home which can play JPEG files and I can set how long (in second) I want to show the photos. I can tell you that you won't be happy much. ProShow Gold can do a professional slideshow with music on the background and nice transitions.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

There is no way to do exactly what you want : to have an authored DVD play jpeg files like a program on a computer. There are things you might look into, however they involve advanced authoring techniques that are beyond most authoring tools. You are essentially looking at designing a disc whereby the images are menus with an auto-advance timing that can be chosen (within reason) by the viewer. I can think of one definite way of doing it, and one maybe.

The definite is to create your slide show using menus with a fixed display time, say, three seconds. This goes into one VTS. Duplicate this structure and change the display (auto-activate) time to say, five second. Put this in VTS 2. The different VTS's are basically to simplify the management. Repeat again, this time for say, ten seconds. Create a root level menu that lets the viewer pick the duration - three, five or ten seconds, and call the appropriate structure accordingly. If you set up the menus correctly with hidden buttons, the viewer can also move to the next slide automatically at any time by pressing the enter key.

The maybe would be to create a single structure, and program the disc to alter the timing based on a front end user menu. The advantage this has is you only need one slide show, not multiple copies. However it will only work if the auto-active timing can be controlled and altered through registers. I don't know if this is possible.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback.

I know most current DVD players have built in JPEG viewer but not all.

Yeah, I used Proshow before and I got great results with it. However, I also seen a user slidshow authored DVD where when browsed the DVD file structure, all images where in a folder as JPEG files. This way you had the ability to control duration rather than run a slideshow video clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I also seen a user slidshow authored DVD where when browsed the DVD file structure, all images where in a folder as JPEG files. This way you had the ability to control duration rather than run a slideshow video clip.
    If you find it...please post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the feedback.

I know most current DVD players have built in JPEG viewer but not all.

Yeah, I used Proshow before and I got great results with it. However, I also seen a user slidshow authored DVD where when browsed the DVD file structure, all images where in a folder as JPEG files. This way you had the ability to control duration rather than run a slideshow video clip.
    You probably meant that you want to include JPEGs on the DVD along with authored slideshows. If that's what you meant, you can do that easily. You can have both video and JPEGs available to your clients on the same DVD. Please make sure the JPEG folder is not on the same directory as your video. It has to be on the root directory in order for your video to play on a stand alone player. If this is not what you meant, please disregard.

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it was completely user-advanced stills, that is part of the DVD spec and is easily doable with apps like DVDLab, DVDA, most other better apps.
    The clips are 1 cell or 1 Iframe. You also can't have music or transitions when you go this route.

For apps that can't explicitly do this, you can always have the stills as advancable MENUs...

Scott
    Quote Quote