VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm getting this error on my Sony DVP-NS575P when trying to play a DVD-R by TDK

Anyone know how to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I bought this dvd player in Canada, as well as using a locally bought dvd-r as well. Why is a hack needed.

Which is the clear button on the remote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony also give misleading error messages when you try to play PAL material in an NTSC player. Is your DVD-R video PAL by any chance ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I believe my video is PAL. None of the hacks work.

But I have a Toshiba player that works fine.

Anyway I can convert the video from PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL or NTSC has nothing to do with regioning (RPC).
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]PAL or NTSC has nothing to do with regioning (RPC).
    True, but Sony in all their wisdom seem to use the same "error message" for both.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. True, I am also getting that "Area Limitations" message for a region-free DVD-R PAL DVD. The disc won't play on another (Samsung) DVD player, but it does play on a couple of Philips players that automatically convert PAL to NTSC for playback.

I am trying to convert it to NTSC, but with some difficulties. I converted the main titles to .avi via AutoGk. And now I am trying to reconvert them to NTSC DVD-format via Nerovision.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giannid
    I am trying to convert it to NTSC, but with some difficulties. I converted the main titles to .avi via AutoGk. And now I am trying to reconvert them to NTSC DVD-format via Nerovision.
    No, no no!
    Wrong way, wrong tools. Read on here: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic267229.html

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giannid
    I am trying to convert it to NTSC, but with some difficulties.
    Unless it's a one shot deal, converting between NTSC and PAL is just not worth the trouble in my opinion. You'd be better served to get on with your life and just buy a cheap Philips DVD player that can convert on the fly rather than to do this conversion yourself. If you insist on doing this conversion, you should be aware that sometimes it is just about impossible to convert menus from PAL to NTSC (or vice-versa) and your final DVD may be menuless as that may be the only way you can get it to work. I don't have a link to it, but there's a guide here on using some kind of patching tool to fake the conversion and not really convert anything. That's the easiest way for newbies to do it. I value my spare time and I have better things to do in my life than to spend hours converting PAL to NTSC, so I just use a converting DVD player. However, there seems to be and endless supply of people who think nothing of spending an entire weekend doing this kind of thing just to save a buck over buying a new DVD player, so if you are one of those people, good luck to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    just buy a cheap Philips DVD player that can convert on the fly
    ...just like the second post in the thread I linked to above says.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its been a long time since i converted any file to burn as a dvd and i only did it once before. Decided to check the guides for a refresh and found the answers i needed. Already had avi2dvd and dvd decrypter so i proceeded with instructions and successfully burned a dvd. Tested the video on my computer which played, as well as testing it on a Oppo dvd player and ps3. I assumed all was well. Took it work to show a friend and got the message about playback limitation from a sony player and then tested it on several other players. None of them worked although the sony players were obviously reading the disc, just not showing the image or sound.

I get home and do some tests with the same results except in my sony portable dvd player. None of the players functions work but the video does play. Did a search on the net for 'playback prohibited...' and found 2 threads on this forum. I used anydvd to get information about the dvd i burned and it said NTSC, region free, etc. Well then it cant be a problem with pal/ntsc formating. And its not sony related since it doesnt play on samsung, panasonic or lg. So what went wrong?

The original file is a .avi file and i assume for lack of further knowledge that there isnt a video format for a video file. When encoding i didnt select any ntsc or pal conversion as i didnt believe there was any conversion necessary. Does avi2dvd by default encode to a certain standard? Or does a video file, like my .avi, have a predetermined video standard? Using clonedvd to get information from the video_ts file, i discovered that the encoded video file is pal format. I dont understand why anydvd reported it as ntsc unless it's information given by the dvd decrypter during the burning process. So if my video_ts folder is pal, can i assume the .iso is pal as well? And does this mean i have to convert pal to ntsc? Hopefully i get a response soon or its 'click "go"' for another 6 hour encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Oppos play virtually anything. They are notorious for playing PAL, NTSC and I believe they also arrive to you region hacked.
    2) There have been Sony's made that do not play ANYTHING other than
    factory pressed DVDs...and even factory pressed CDs for that matter...my ex-girlfriend has such a Sony. It plays nothing "recordable" at all.
    3) Computers play anything. Computers don't care whether a DVD is PAL or NTSC....and the same goes even more with a Dixv/Xvid file.
    Run the original .avi file in GSpot and see what it tells you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ran GSpot and not sure what im looking for in there aside from stuff i have seen provided by the current programs im using. Except codecs used maybe but i dont know what id do with those. 25fps like i thought. I recently finished a new encode using freeEnc instead of HCEnc like the first time. File ended up shorter then the original from 1:36:00 to 1:20:00 and audio sync is way off. This time i had pal to ntsc conversion checked and using the current beta version. My guess is the video was lost when it was changed to 29fps. Playback of the video just shows a faster video then normal speed.

Not that i know what im doing but im going to give it another go with HCEnc like i used the first time and see how the result is. I saw some guides on converting pal to ntsc on my search for answers but that doesnt seem like a process i want to endure. If i cant get a simple solution then i might just give this up and stick with the divx for the time being. I must assume the original file came from a pal format. If anyone has some suggestions that arent too complex (as in multiple additional programs just to convert the framerates correctly), feel free to enlighten. Thanks in advance.

Its interesting that my PS3 played my apparent pal disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by NemesisCBR
    Ran GSpot and not sure what im looking for in there aside from stuff i have seen provided by the current programs im using. Except codecs used maybe but i dont know what id do with those.
    PAL
    Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
    720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    25 fps*

NTSC (NTSC Film)
    Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
    Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
    720 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
    704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    29,97 fps*
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im 100% certain the original file was ripped from a pal disc. Thanks for your help!

The last encode was done with the pal/ntsc conversion but this time using the HCEnc and the result was great. Video was lengthened by 4 minutes at 1:40:00 approximately but the video and audio was in sync throughout and playback appeared normal. Video information shows that it was 24fps rather then the previous 29fps using the FreeEnc. Tested the dvd on a sony and had no problems with playback.

What i learned? Identify your source format, HCEnc works better then FreeEnc for pal to ntsc conversions. Thanks for the reference to GSpot. That makes it much faster to get information on a file. What else do people use the information given from the program for? Like how does knowing what codecs used help aside from having the codecs to playback? Or is that all there is to that...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by NemesisCBR
    What else do people use the information given from the program for? Like how does knowing what codecs used help aside from having the codecs to playback? Or is that all there is to that...
    That's all I use it for. Mainly I use it to see what is up with the audio that won't play in a file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G-spot can also tell you

Bitrates, framerates, and resolution

Does it have qpel, packed bitsream and other factors that can affect standalone playback of mpeg4 files

Is it interlaced or progressive, top field or bottom field

So much information that is useful
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    if you have a laptop / pc you can download a player called vlc media player and then put dvd in laptop / pc and then run dvd with vlc media player and then it should work
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Necroing a 6 year old thread with wrong advice sure is a winner post.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  20. You know what is pathetic. I am getting this message on my newer (DVP-NS50P) sony player, while I can take the same DVD and view it on my older (DVP-NS315) player. What a bunch of putts... they can't even regression test their new models to make sure they at least function as well as the older models can.

Having said that ... anyone know of a good cheap player that I can use ? NTSC format... USED Roxio Toast12 to burn the videos.
    Quote Quote