VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using VDub to extract WAV from AVI file but i'm having a li'l problem...

the extraced WAV does not have the same length as the video!
    Video: 02:06:46
    Audio: 02:06:44

how can it be?

how can i prevent it? maybe i'm doing something wrong?

any help much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How did you extract it ?
    What was it beforehand ? (format, length)
    What is it now ? (format, length)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I loaded the AVI file in VDub, set the audio to "Full Processing Mode" and then i just picked "Save WAV..." from the "File" menu...

Here's the AVI File:

and this is the WAV file length after i extraced it with VDub:

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    GangstaRap wrote:

the extraced WAV does not have the same length as the video!
    Video: 02:06:46
    Audio: 02:06:44

how can it be?
    If the streams do not go out-of-sync,
    then there is no problem --- really.

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  5. Midzuki,
    thats the thing:

i'm extracting it in order to encode it to AC3 and then to mux it with MPV to create a DVD ...

and it goes out of sync after compiling it with DLP...

at first i thought the compiling was the cause to the out-of-sync DVD movie...
    then i've noticed the length differences as they presented above...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no need to mux before importing into DLP. Just import as separate elementary streams. Better still, if you have the TMPGEnc Plugin for AC-3, import the .wav file into DLP and let it do the conversion to AC-3 for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What do you mean by "goes out of sync"? Does it start in sync and gradually get out, or is it out of sync from the beginning and stays out the same amount the whole way through. It's possible the audio has always been shorter and an offset was defined to keep it in sync.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by ntscuser
    There's no need to mux before importing into DLP. Just import as separate elementary streams. Better still, if you have the TMPGEnc Plugin for AC-3, import the .wav file into DLP and let it do the conversion to AC-3 for you.
    i should try it...
    where can i get this plug-in?
    is it free?

Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    What do you mean by "goes out of sync"? Does it start in sync and gradually get out, or is it out of sync from the beginning and stays out the same amount the whole way through.
    after compiling to DVD it starts in sync and then gradually get out...
    actually when i'm thinking about it - the fact that the audio go out-of-sync gradually does indicated that the audio stream shorter than the video... doesn't it?
    or maybe i'm just coming-up with a stupid assumption?

Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    It's possible the audio has always been shorter and an offset was defined to keep it in sync.
    the original AVI file is fine, the audio sync - thats what i don't understand...:

how can the audio be in-sync when its an AVI - but then to get shorter when its been extracted and to cause later to an out-of-sync DVD video...

it's so weird...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GangstaRap
    thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by ntscuser
    i should try it...
    where can i get this plug-in?
    is it free?
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tsp_ac3.html

Not free (requires online product registration) but is 100% DVD compatible. You don't say what you're using to convert to AC-3 at present? Not all AC-3 encoders are DVD compatible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the audio listed in the avi is already ac-3. don't convert to wav and back to ac-3. use the original and don't convert it at all.

but... it's just a guess are you making a ntsc dvd out of it?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ntscuser
    You don't say what you're using to convert to AC-3 at present? Not all AC-3 encoders are DVD compatible.
    i'm using EncWAVtoAC3 to do it

Originally Posted by aedipuss
    the audio listed in the avi is already ac-3. don't convert to wav and back to ac-3. use the original and don't convert it at all.
    how can i extract the AC3 audio from the AVI without decompress it to WAV?

Originally Posted by aedipuss
    but... it's just a guess are you making a ntsc dvd out of it?
    nope...
    it's a PAL video...
    why?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by GangstaRap

how can i extract the AC3 audio from the AVI without decompress it to WAV?
    You can use AVIMuxGUI, but this usually packages the audio in .mka which you would then use mkvextractgui to separate the ac3 by itself

or

You can use AviDemux in 1 step by selecting audio (at the top) => save (make sure you enter location, filename and extension e.g. "myaudio.ac3"). The sidebar audio drop down menu should be set to "copy" since you want to keep it AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can use AVIMuxGUI, but this usually packages the audio in .mka which you would then use mkvextractgui to separate the ac3 by itself
    It's easier to right-click on the selected track and choose the option "extract binary".

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the pal/ntsc question was because most in sync to out of sync avi conversions are a result of changing fps from 25 to 29.97. but if you are pal -> pal then that doesn't apply.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. thanks for your great help!

when trying to use AVIDemux to do it - the demuxing process aborted after 50% of progress... (?)

and when trying with AVIMuxGUI,:

Originally Posted by Midzuki
    It's easier to right-click on the selected track and choose the option "extract binary".
    again...
    this is after extracting with AVIMuxGUI,:

different length...

i might need to mention that originally the AVI file was two separated AVI files with out-of-sync audio and i used VDub to sync them one by one with the same method (using "Interleaving" > "Audio skew correction") then i merged them together to one AVI file...

i guess thats what causes the problem huh?

i really hope you guys have more ideas because i'm starting to think it's a lost case....

Thanks again...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The easiest way I know to demux ac3 from an avi is to use virtualdubmod.

Also don't merge the avifiles. Process them seperatly (demux audio and encode video of file1 then do the same for file2). Then when finished import them both into dlp and let it merge them.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  17. If freebird's idea doesn't work, or you don't have the 2 original AVI files,

It depends if your audio is -2000ms for the beginning (constant) or if there are 1 or more errors somewhere later (more complex to fix)

If it is always -2000ms out of sync (from the beginning and stays constant), you can just fix it with AVIMuxGUI (right click the audio track)

If it gradually gets out of sync, you could also try and expand the audio by +2000ms by using adobe audition or some other audio encoder to see if it matches

If there is more than 1 "error point", you have to cut each segment and process each individually (=not fun)
    Quote Quote  
  18. freebird73717,
    how can DLP merge two video & audio streams?

poisondeathray,
    i've just noticed something:
    the audio stream is in-sync from the start but its getting out of sync at once - exactly at the point that the two original AVI was merged - i mean - exactly at the joinder point (where one AVI is end and the second starts)...

starting from the joinder point - the audio constantly preceding the video by approximately 1 second...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just add file 1 and file 2 as seperate movies on the same titleset. When dlp authors it will mux them together and play them seamlessly.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might have mentioned at the start that you had joined two files. Then you would have been told, days ago, that this is a common problem and not join the files the way you had. The more information you give up front, the better the information you will get in return.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Gangstarap

I've seen this a couple of times. Both files would be in sync on their own, but when I joined them the sync was off in the second half of the joined AVI. What I ended up doing was finding the delay in the second half of the joined file (using MPC). Then I applied this delay (with Vdubmod) to the original second file (even though that made it out-of-sync). I then joined the original #1 file with the #2 (delayed) file, and after that the new joined file was in sync throughout. Clumsy workaround, I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked for me.

But I didn't convert to WAV or to DVD, I just wanted to make a 1-piece AVI. Might be worth a shot, though.
    Quote Quote  
  22. guns1inger,
    you absolutely right...
    sorry for that...
    i just didn't think this fact matters to much...
    now i know...

Originally Posted by Squash
    Clumsy workaround, I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked for me.
    before i'll try this hard work i want to make sure i tried any other simple way...
    and now i also think i know what the problem is...
    this is the original File1:

it match...

and this is the original File2:

the thing is that in File2 i don't have any sync problems (as long as i'm not demuxing the file) though the "File Information" indicate that the audio shorter then the video...
    how can it be?
    Quote Quote  
  23. how can it be?
    Simple. That 2nd part has a nearly 2 second negative delay. You join the 2 parts and the second part goes out of synch by the same amount. Do what squash said, if you have to join them. I agree with guns1inger; a little common sense on your part would have solved this several days ago.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The audio in File2 might be offset (delayed) by x seconds (like it doesn't play for x seconds)

You can run it through mediainfo and find out (try it on File1 & 2)

EDIT: manono beat me to the punch! (by 1 sec...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Flick will allow you to join two avi files into a single movie while encoding and authoring. It seems to be able to handle audio delays int he different sections, and might be worth a shot.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote