VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can any one suggest a way to convert blu ray and HD DVDs to standard def DVDs?
    Why such sacrilege? Because every body has DVD players every where car, kitchen etc so buying a blue ray or HD player for every room would cost too much. And theirs converter software converts DVDs to anything so this would make life easier.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fyi many hddvd titles come with a standard dvd version. Those are usually flipper discs. Just turn them over and you have a standard dvd to play anywhere. Now not every hddvd has them but some do. THat way you don't have to convert those.

BUT they don't offer that on bluray as far as I know.

you could always use a copying device to do realitme capture to dvd mpeg 2 mode and then burn a new disc. You'd lose 5.1 audio and menus of course but that would be the fastest method since it would be realtime plus the authoring/burning time afterwards.

Other than that if you want to maintain 5.1 audio and menus you have to go through a long conversion process. I'm not familiar with bluray/hddvd ripping and encoding methods yet.

Side note - obvfiously you need either a hddvd and/or bluray computer drive in order to do this - you can't rip from a standalone unit unless you are using xbox 360 hddvd drive - than you would be able to.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply
    Yep reminds me of the early days of standard DVD backing up hope fully some one will find away of changing the resolution then the file size
    don’t give up got to be possible used to say was imposable to shrink a DVD 9 to DVD 5 but we can now and get good results
    thanks for your reply will keep trying myself can’t seem to get tsremux019 to work on any of my comps at the mo?!!?# but EVOdemux dose problem is I think bul- ray is gona win. Sony bribing too many companies and hd seems to be a bit finicky at the mo took an update to power DVD to play bourn ident. and still it sat there with its thumb up its a*s loading no problems with blu-ray as of yet other than wont play on anything other than my comp

'O' Big 2 thumbs up to LG for their GGW-H20L its ace Thanks for the reply
    Yep reminds me of the early days of standard DVD backing up hope fully some one will find away of changing the resolution then the file size
    don’t give up got to be possible used to say was imposable to shrink a DVD 9 to DVD 5 but we can now and get good results
    thanks for your reply will keep trying myself can’t seem to get tsremux019 to work on any of my comps at the mo?!!?# but EVOdemux dose problem is I think bul- ray is gona win. Sony bribing too many companies and hd seems to be a bit finicky at the mo took an update to power DVD to play bourn ident. and still it sat there with its thumb up its a*s loading no problems with blu-ray as of yet other than wont play on anything other than my comp

'O' Big 2 thumbs up to LG for their GGW-H20L its ace
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've been trying to accomplish this task with no luck myself.

Blu-Ray -> DVD

I would like to keep the 5.1 audio if possible but I don't care about menus or anything.

If anyone has a guide to follow that will help me accomplish this please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can convert the blu-ray to AVI for example:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346517.html
    and then convert it back to standard DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/bd2dvd-blu-ray-dvd-guide-232165/

edit: hmmmm....actually...this is not what you want. I'll leave it here anyway
    Quote Quote  
  8. I haven't tried this myself, but on Doom9 there was success doing Blu-ray => .h264 DVD9 (playable on blu-ray) with ripbot264 (main movie only, no menus, etc...)

To make a DVD compliant DVD9/DVD5, you need a MPEG-2 encoder like CCE or HCenc. Use dgAVCdec to index, frameserve into the encoder to generate compliant streams, author with your favorite DVD authoring application. If it's a VC-1 encoded blu-ray, use DirectShowSource and avisynth.

So is there an "easy" 1-button way? No yet
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the m2ts file of the bluray on your hard drive just use convertXtodvd.It does work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PICKY737
    If you have the m2ts file of the bluray on your hard drive just use convertXtodvd.It does work.
    I still cant see the sense in it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well like he said, if you have HD video (HDV, AVCHD, etc...) it can be useful to make a DVD to send to relatives who don't have HD equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertX2DVD doesn't always work right for this task, at least not for me! Most of the time you get audio sync issues..
    I'd use poisondeathray's advise and re-encode with CCE or HCEnc, and author a new DVD....which is what I do, and it works every time for me...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I personally have done it.. I use EAC3to on the EVO or TS file and have it demux the audio tracks to AC3 5.1 audio (I usually get the English AND Spanish.. Havn't figured out how to do the subtitles) and the video to an MKV. I then use an AVIsynth AVS file to feed TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress the video and EAC3to pads the audio so it's never been out of sync. There ya go.. A DVD ready MP2.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get a free software and instruction from DATOptic.com

But there is a catch you have to buy a TVIX - Network High definition Media Player
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FireWire2, are you a spammer
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Midzuki

What do you think?
    Anyway i just want to post an easiest way to convert Bluray to burn-able size, without headache and A/V sync problem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adam1972:

Originally Posted by adam1972 View Post
    I personally have done it.. I use EAC3to on the EVO or TS file and have it demux the audio tracks to AC3 5.1 audio (I usually get the English AND Spanish.. Havn't figured out how to do the subtitles) and the video to an MKV. I then use an AVIsynth AVS file to feed TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress the video and EAC3to pads the audio so it's never been out of sync. There ya go.. A DVD ready MP2.
    Thanks for the instructions. I'll try this method. I've been looking for a way to do this. I've been using RipBot to create mp4's from Blu-ray to play on my media center, but there are a few I'd like to let the kids watch on the built-in DVD player in my Suburban.

John
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works (http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html) to make my DVDs from Bluray. I use RipBot264 to encode bluray to MP4 and while I have the movie loaded into RipBot264, I use the video stream and audio stream from RipBot264 temp location. The video stream will be labled video.mkv. I mux the video stream and my audio stream that I selected during the RipBot264 demuxing process to a *.ts file. That gives me 1 video and 1 audio stream muxed togther. NOTE: If you use the original M2TS file from the BluRay disc it, Authoring Works will pick out the first audio track and use it. You cannot select a different audio track. English is NOT always the first audio track. I have found out later after a DVD encode that the first stream was in Japanese.

Use the newly created *.ts in Authoring Works to create your DVD. RipBot264 will also extract the chapter timecode points and you must manually enter those into Authoring Works to get your chapters on the DVD.

This might seem like a lot of work, but the quality that Authoring Works produces from the original bluray stream is often better that the studio produced DVDs.

The sad note in this is that Authoring Works cost 100 bucks, but it has more than paid for itself by producing great quality DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This method I have used maybe a dozen times and it works well.

It assumes the audio is AC3 or some format that can be used "as is" just by muxing it back in at the end.

Use MakeMKV to get main movie from BluRay as .mkv file

Use MKVExtractGui-2 to demux audio stream and subtitles

Assuming you are going to burn in the subs, use BDSup2Sub
    to resize the subs to 720x480 for NTSC DVD and export as
    idx/sub

Use HCGui to convert the video to .m2v

This .avs script should be all you need to output
    NTSC DVD .m2v video file. It assumes burned in subs. If no
    subs forget about LoadPlugin and VobSub lines

The VobSub line assumes the .idx and .sub files have the same base name as the movie. Just use the base
    name with no extension.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("VSFilter.dll")
    DirectShowSource("movie.mkv",audio=false)
    Spline16Resize(720,480)
    VobSub("movie")
    For HCgui you may want to use a bitrate calculator but for films 2 hours or
    less it's pretty safe to use 8600 kbit as average and 9000 kbit as max in
    HCgui for DVD9. (I use a custom DVD size of 8032 MB in the calculator. Works well
    for me.) If you output to DVD5 it won't look as good but that's your decision.
    Make sure to check PullDown in HCgui. It will only be applied if it applies,
    so to speak.

In HCgui use 2 pass "best" profile.

After you get your .m2v file(perhaps with subs burned in)
    if you don't need motion menus and fancy stuff, which I don't,
    use DVDAuthorGui to author using the .m2v and .ac3 file. You
    can test the .ac3 file with ac3fix just to make sure there aren't
    any bad frames beforehand.

In DVDAuthorGui it's a good idea to set chapters every 5 minutes so
    that you have an excellent chance Imgburn can automatically set
    a layer break if you are doing DVD9.

Of course this method is "one-off" by hand. If you have the need to do this conversion in batch you'll have to keep searching. But it may save some trial and error as Spline16Resize to 720x480 doesn't produce smooth output in all video converters. It works fine for me with HC Enc 2 pass best profile though. The DVD9, when played through a DVD player that upconverts, looks very close to the original.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I don't think it's that hard to make a DVD from HD, whatever your source. Personally I'm not much for 1-click conversion apps, since generally they have to compromise somewhere, but that's me & if anyone would rather use them, fine. Along those lines I'd suggest a quick look at multiAVCHD -- I've never used it for HD -> DVD, though reading the forums it seems it does that, & for the things I've used it on it seems a very decent app. Otherwise, the following might help someone if they have problems &/or if they're looking for a method that suits them...

From any HD video to DVD mpg2 you can do the down-sizing in AviSynth, V/Dub, &/or your choice of converters or editors, going to avi with codecs like Lagarith or UT Video [you *might* have issues with mjpeg like PicVid], or encoding to mpg2 at the same time rather than as a 2nd step -- it depends on what you're comfortable with & have access to in the way of video editing/mpg2 encoding apps. [Note: an intermediate avi step isn't as bad as some might think (though avoid it if you can) -- you have higher quality to start with, & since the majority of processing is the re-size (which only happens once), the 2nd step of an mpg2 encode is faster.] There's a discussion & comparison of different methods for down-sizing in the AviSynth docs on-line. Interlacing complicates things [though not as badly as up-sizing] -- check out discussions of AviSynth methods of dealing with it if you have interlaced video -- but it's not that common with BD AFAIK. Color range &/or space may/may not be something you want or have to deal with, but at least be aware there can be issues, & maybe run a short test clip through the app(s) you plan on using. [Note that I've seen some prob with HD video looking too dark in some apps in 7 ult 64 -- when that or similar happens you need to know if it's the video or your software, or else you might wind up with washed out or dark video on TV.] There are some excellent threads on color in other sections of the forum.

Frame rate usually isn't an issue with BD source AFAIK, though it can be with others. BD at 23.976 can be down-sized, then have pulldown applied [often automatically] during mpg2 encoding -- pulldown basically repeats frames to achieve a higher fps, with 23.976 becoming 29.976 for example without adding/encoding any extra frames [check the other sections of the forum re: converting fps for PAL DVD (I'm not experienced with it - Sorry) -- I know it's possible to just *set* the fps to 25, but don't know if there are better ways]. Often the most frustrating part about the whole conversion is getting your HD source in AviSynth or whatever app... the AviSynth docs have quite a few hints, ffdshow often works, & using VFAPI [I know it's old] with AviSynth scripts can often work to import video into most any editor or converter. [Note: I have had some problems with AviSynth methods conflicting with other video apps in 7 ult 64, so I lean towards ffdshow, but that's me. Prob experienced are mainly random sections of bad frames (it looks like when you lose signal with digital cable or satellite)]. VFAPI, while designed for 32 bit Windows, will work in 7 64 if you get it's registry entries in the right places. VC1 & .h264 [AVC] video often need to be in an mkv or avi container -- there are a couple of apps to put them in an avi container/file that are also included in prog like MKVcleaver, though you might have to perform a 2nd step, using something like direct stream copy in V/Dub Mod to join 2GB segments.

Audio accompanying HD video often needs to be re-encoded. I've seen odd streams in HD digital OTA streams, &/or ac3 might have too high a bit rate, or it may be a DTS format incompatible with DVD or the software you're using. Converting these AC3 or DTS files to wav or .w64 [for 5.1 > 2GB] for a re-encode to DVD spec ac3 I've sometimes had prob with clipping [whether doing the conversion manually or not]... I open the following avs [found in one of the videohelp forums] in V/Dub saving to .w64, which preserves the audio peaks -- note the amplify amount is adjustable, & to work with ac3 you use NicAC3Source instead of NicDTSSource. This *may* also be handy if you want to reduce the dynamic range &/or make speach more audible -- for me it's easier to work with lower peaks when adding dynamic compression &/or RMS/average normalization, as that gives you a bit of head-room when/if you overshoot. Re-encoding to lower bit rate DVD spec ac3 I think also helps with BD5/9 -- disc space is a concern & you still have DVD bandwidth limits.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\NicAudio.dll")
    NicDTSSource("English.dts", DRC=1)
    Amplify(0.95)
    Soundout()
    Subs can either be CC in a broadcast stream converted to .srt [SCC Tools or CCExtractorGUI] [then used as DVD CC in a couple of apps, or converted to .sup], or OCRed sup, or resized .sup [BDSup2Sub] -- no need for permanent subs unless you want them.

Chapters can be a PITA... DVD chapters happen at I frames. Since you've re-encoded to DVD spec mpg2, if you have chapt times from your source, they're now only close approximates. Vegas has the option of encoding DVD mpg2 with I frames at markers, then saves those markers in the file for their authoring app, DVDA, which is one solution -- or you need to set the chapters in your DVD authoring app, & if it won't show you I frames, add a fudge factor delay for each one & test results [it's always better to be too late than early].
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikiem
    Along those lines I'd suggest a quick look at multiAVCHD -- I've never used it for HD -> DVD, though reading the forums it seems it does that, & for the things I've used it on it seems a very decent app. Otherwise, the following might help someone if they have problems &/or if they're looking for a method that suits them...
    Multiavchd is a great program. But I too have not used it for hd to dvd conversion.

What I have used is avstodvd. I'm sure its been mentioned already. BUT it is a great program to take a m2ts stream and go to dvd from there. I don't know if it works with evo hd-dvd files. I'm sure it does but you'd have to read up on it to be sure. It works on bluray just fine.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by mikiem
    Along those lines I'd suggest a quick look at multiAVCHD -- I've never used it for HD -> DVD, though reading the forums it seems it does that, & for the things I've used it on it seems a very decent app. Otherwise, the following might help someone if they have problems &/or if they're looking for a method that suits them...
    Multiavchd is a great program. But I too have not used it for hd to dvd conversion.

What I have used is avstodvd. I'm sure its been mentioned already. BUT it is a great program to take a m2ts stream and go to dvd from there. I don't know if it works with evo hd-dvd files. I'm sure it does but you'd have to read up on it to be sure. It works on bluray just fine.
    I was using AVStoDVD and had a lot of audio issues. Also with default settings, due to the high bitrate you are likely to get going to DVD9 I found that QuEnc CBR using Spline16Resize gave me sort of a stuttering lateral motion, almost like some frames were either duplicates or missing. If you do use AVStoDVD I recommend forcing it to use HC 2 pass best profile. The same Spline16Resize on the same source came out fine using HC 2 pass. Must be something in QuEnc it doesn't like. Also I got fed up with AVStoDVD kicking off audio encoding only to get an error and restart when often the audio didn't really need to be encoded. I've taken to running eac3fix to check the audio after demuxing myself and then just muxing it in at the end using DVDAuthorGui. I don't see the purpose of launching Aften, waiting for it to fail, then launching some other audio encoder when the source is probably 640kbit ac3 anyway and fine the way it is. For one-offs it's just simpler to do it by hand.

For .mkv with DTS audio I use Popcorn audio converter. If it has PCM audio then WAV to AC3 Encoder. Trouble with 1 click tools if they don't complete like over 90% of the time then you are usually left with the frustration of starting the job from the beginning. At least things like DVD Rebuilder detect it has already demuxed to video and audio streams and picks up somewhat where it left off. Some 1 clicks that work nearly all the time like AutoGK I'll use.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 26th Jun 2010 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I was using AVStoDVD and had a lot of audio issues.
    Could you please specify better what kind of issues (input stream types, installes audio codecs, selected audio encoders)?

Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Also with default settings, due to the high bitrate you are likely to get going to DVD9 I found that QuEnc CBR using Spline16Resize gave me sort of a stuttering lateral motion, almost like some frames were either duplicates or missing. If you do use AVStoDVD I recommend forcing it to use HC 2 pass best profile. The same Spline16Resize on the same source came out fine using HC 2 pass. Must be something in QuEnc it doesn't like.
    Interesting. Could you please upload a small clip sample showing this behaviour? Just to be clear: Spline16Resize is NOT a default resize filter in AVStoDVD.

Eventually we can continue by PMs or emails, if we are going OT.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring works 4 will convert your m2ts file on your blu ray disc and convert to standard dvd. It really is pretty easy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    I was using AVStoDVD and had a lot of audio issues.
    Could you please specify better what kind of issues (input stream types, installes audio codecs, selected audio encoders)?

Also with default settings, due to the high bitrate you are likely to get going to DVD9 I found that QuEnc CBR using Spline16Resize gave me sort of a stuttering lateral motion, almost like some frames were either duplicates or missing. If you do use AVStoDVD I recommend forcing it to use HC 2 pass best profile. The same Spline16Resize on the same source came out fine using HC 2 pass. Must be something in QuEnc it doesn't like.
    Interesting. Could you please upload a small clip sample showing this behaviour? Just to be clear: Spline16Resize is NOT a default resize filter in AVStoDVD.

Eventually we can continue by PMs or emails, if we are going OT.

Bye
    I find Spline16Resize works great for sizing down to NTSC DVD. I've already PMd you why I've switched from one-click to just doing it with HCgui for DVD and BD Rebuilder for reduced size .m2ts output for my WD set top box. Sorry but AVStoDVD is just too finicky processing the audio.
    I got hangs nearly half the time. I might as well just do it manually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've discovered DVD Flick recently, which will downsize and author DVDs from original BD high-def video and audio streams. It uses ffmpeg underneath, and logs all of its underlying command-line tool commands, which I like because I can learn how the process works manually as well.

But I have a related question: I've noticed that many of these BD-to-DVD apps seem to be geared toward the everyday consumer who wants to back up his/her expensive blu-rays without paying as much for the back up as they did for the original - that is blank blu-ray disks are not cheap (yet), and bd burners are fairly expensive also. To this end, many of the apps allow you to burn onto DVD 5 and DVD 9 (dual layer) disks. DVD 9's are pretty cheap these days, and the resulting copy has pretty darn good quality (so I've read). The question is, can a standard commercial DVD player (sony, LG, samsung, whatever) play a DVD 9 disk containing DVD video (VOB) data?
    Last edited by jcalcote; 27th Jun 2010 at 17:04.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jcalcote View Post
    I've discovered DVD Flick recently, which will downsize and author DVDs from original BD high-def video and audio streams. It uses ffmpeg underneath, and logs all of its underlying command-line tool commands, which I like because I can learn how the process works manually as well.

But I have a related question: I've noticed that many of these BD-to-DVD apps seem to be geared toward the everyday consumer who wants to back up his/her expensive blu-rays without paying as much for the back up as they did for the original - that is blank blu-ray disks are not cheap (yet), and bd burners are fairly expensive also. To this end, many of the apps allow you to burn onto DVD 5 and DVD 9 (dual layer) disks. DVD 9's are pretty cheap these days, and the resulting copy has pretty darn good quality (so I've read). The question is, can a standard commercial DVD player (sony, LG, samsung, whatever) play a DVD 9 disk containing DVD video (VOB) data?
    List of players that will play DVD5 or DVD9 output of BD Rebuilder
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144674

A standard DVD player won't play it since it's not a standard DVD file structure with VIDEO_TS etc..
    Probably the best way to play BluRay quality video without shelling out for a BluRay DVD player is to
    get a set top box that can play HD formats. I'm using WD HDTV player for USB. It has its shortcomings
    but one really nice feature is it supports USB 2.0 docking stations. Instead of unplugging an external USB
    2.0 drive I just swap Sata drives in the dock. I think WD 1 TB internal drives are down around $100 now
    from discount houses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks MilesAhead, but my question was whether or not a standard DVD player can play dual layer disks that contain content that *is* formatted with the DVD file system. DVD Flick will compress a blu-ray movie video/audio file in .m2ts or matroska format to an mpeg2 audio/video stream file. It will then author DVD file system-based content to either a DVD 5 or DVD 9 disk. I was wondering if you needed a blu-ray player to play a DVD 9 disk that contains standard DVD file system (VIDEO_TS / AUDIO_TS / VOB) content.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jcalcote View Post
    Thanks MilesAhead, but my question was whether or not a standard DVD player can play dual layer disks that contain content that *is* formatted with the DVD file system. DVD Flick will compress a blu-ray movie video/audio file in .m2ts or matroska format to an mpeg2 audio/video stream file. It will then author DVD file system-based content to either a DVD 5 or DVD 9 disk. I was wondering if you needed a blu-ray player to play a DVD 9 disk that contains standard DVD file system (VIDEO_TS / AUDIO_TS / VOB) content.
    I have Philips dvp 5990. It plays 'em fine. Burn with Imgburn. I recommend you use a custom DVD size rather than DVD9 to make it easier for Imgburn to set a layer break. I use 8032 MB and set chapters every 5 minutes. I use Verbatim DVD+R DL 8x. Look up your player in the DVD players list on this site and see what type of burnable discs it supports.

If you go to Imgburn forum there should be a step by step how to burn a DL disc setting layer break etc.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Clown_BD has been able to do this as a 'one click' solution since version v0.77. I think one of the benefits over the competition is that it can create a fully complient DVD with upto 8 audio and 32 subtitle tracks.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Clown_BD
    Quote Quote