VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Specifically referring a Thinkwell lecture series, if anyone's familiar. I have each disc in .bin/.cue format. I tried converting the .bin to an .iso, then mounting the .iso in MagicISO. I also tried directly burning the .bin to a cd, but in both cases I don't get any sound when attempting to run the program.
    I'd prefer not to burn anything, but just mount the image in a virtual drive program and run it from there. Don't know much about the .bin/.cue thing. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    might be svcd format? in which case vcdeasy, alcohol120% or cdrwin are your best choices to burn them to cd with. select the cue file which tells the burner app what to do with the bin.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to extract mpeg-2 file from bin use vcdeasy or isobuster.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to play a .bin file with VLC media player. It will also play most .iso video files. Bin/Cue files are most often used with VCD or SVCD formats. If your players don't work with the files from them, you may be missing a codec. You may be able to see which one by dropping the .bin into Gspot 2.70. But VLC uses it's own codecs, so it's not bothered by that.

If you wanted to burn the files to disc, Nero or ImgBurn can do that. Just select the .cue file. The .bin file contains the data. The .cue file is the burning 'instructions.'
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. Still no luck, though.

VLC won't play the .bins. These things are played with a proprietary player which opens up a table of contents, and from there you select a lecture to play.

I tried ImgBurn, and it said .cue files "are not supported at this time".

Tried burning with Alcohol 120% using the .cue file, and still no sound.

Originally I tried buring to cd-rom with MagicISO, first using the .bin, then trying with the .cue, and neither one worked. I get video, but no audio. I have other products from these guys, and the player works fine for them. It's just I had them in .iso format from the beginning...haven't had to deal with this .bin/.cue stuff until now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does Gspot tell you anything about them? Audio or video? They don't sound like a MPEG format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not yet tried DAEMON Tools
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open that .bin with gspot as redwudz suggests, you'll get some useful info.

Are you saying even the Thinkwell proprietary player plays both the Alcohol burned CD and/or the mounted .cue (virtual cd) with no sound?
    Open that virtual drive (mounted .cue) with windows explorer. Do you see files / folders?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not all applications support every minor/possible variation in the
    .cue file format (for example, Prassi ONES does not understand
    the .cue sheets created by VCDImager) --- this the reason why
    I suggested Daemon Tools to the OP.
    Quote Quote