VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and needed some help with my HDMI audio on my DVD player. Alrite, I just purchased a 42" Insignia Plasma TV with 2 HDMI inputs(only paid $800, great tv for the price, it's actually an LG) and along with it I bought a Phillips 5982 Up converting DVD player w HDMI. When I used component cables everything worked fine. However, when I connected an HDMI cable, I am only getting video and no audio. I checked all the settings and everything is fine to my knowledge. I checked the cable on my DVR and it works fine. I also switched the HDMI ports it was plugged into to see if that was the problem and still no audio. I also tested a DVD and an avi file (direct USB connection into DVD Player) but nothing worked. The cables are cheap( 2 for $10) on amazon.com, but they both work fine with my DVR. One thing I did notice was that until the DVD player powered up the screen says NO SIGNAL (normal) however before the DVD player default screen comes up INVALID FORMAT(not normal) is displayed for about 1 sec and then the default screen displays. Also when the DVD begins to play the screen goes black for a second and then is normal. Does anyone know what the problem is, can someone please help me? Are there any settings ont eh TV that need to be changed? Thanks in advance, I tried to give as many relevant details as I could.
    Quote Quote  
  2. On your TV go to settings and set audio input to Auto or Digital,on your DVD player set audio output to PCM or Downmix PCM.
    The problem with some HDTV's is they only support 2ch PCM.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    alrite, i messed around with the audio settings for hdmi on my dvd player and I eventually got it. I had a dvd playing so it didnt take to long to get the audio. Thanks a lot movie geek for your advice.
    Quote Quote