VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yesterday I added another 1GB of DDR2 to my Memory and now the Videos won't play at all...

Before when I had 1GB of Memory of RAM I downloading K-Lite Codec Standard Pack and everything but now that I added More Ram it seems like it screwed up everything...

I Downloaded ALL Sorts of codecs and stuff yesterday and messed with a BUNCH of options In Windows Media Player 11 and VLC media Player but still nothing

Please help...Sometimes when I try to open movies it says acquiring Codec inside and then it says acquired codec and I get an error message in Windows Media Player 11...I tried turning down the video acceleration but no luck...

I tried uninstaling it...It seems like the Ram Screwed up everything...Why would it not work after I put more RAM in now I have 2GB but all these problems

Please post how to fix this...I get sound but no video just a black screen...I tried ALL formats AVI, DVDs, WMV, etc.

and why wouldn't VLC Work it worked fine before I added the ram as well...

I tried Tools>Options>Performance>Advanced>Hi QUality plaback or something like that and it made some videos work but the problem was it looked like the videos got zoomed into like it cut off the edges an stuff of the videos...

the weird thing is those same settings aren't working for vidz at all anymore how can you explain them working and then not all of a sudden? I put it back to defaults but still no luck
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to turn down the Playback Acceleration to the Lowest setting and some videos are showing now but some videos are CHOPPY in Playback I just downloaded this codec

VFW DV codec

still having issues though...DVDs Still Not playing it shows up in Windows Media player I can hear the sound but no video...I like to watch DVDs in Windows media Player 11 and VLC Media Player but neither are working right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding/removing RAM should have no effect on video playback. If you were having a RAM related issue, I would expect you to be having other issues (like BSOD or random lockups) while using any/all other applications. Regardless of anything else that you did, this sounds like a typical codec issue. I would first start by uninstalling any/all codec packs. You can also use a program such as codec sniper to help search for bad codecs. Once you have your system cleaned up, you can begin troubleshooting. Note this would be a good time to ensure you have your video drivers (and all other drivers - ie: motherboard & audio) up to date.

Start with a video that won't work and open the video in Gspot. Gspot will tell you which codecs were used to encode the video, which codecs are installed in your system, and whether or not it can render the file. If you are missing a codec, then download and install the needed codec.

Codec packs are typically a bad idea as they can often create quite of mess within a system that can often be impossible to get working correctly again. With that being said, I have used the K-lite pack before without any issues. Though it does install a lot of unneeded files. I've also never used WMP 11 and from what i've read, don't plan on upgrading anytime soon.

You can also try removing/uninstalling VLC and reinstalling the latest version. It uses it owns codecs and should be unaffected by any other codec related issues you may be having.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote