VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My socket 478 motherboard with a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 burnt up last week and I'm rebuilding my computer. I can't afford a Core 2 Duo right now and was wondering which processor would be better for working with video. A 3.4 Ghz Prescott Pentium 4 for $105 or a 935 3.2 Ghz Presler Pentium D for $135?

The 3.2 Ghz Prescott Pentium 4 and 3.0 Ghz Pentium D are both $99.

I'm picking up an Intel DG965WHMKR motherboard at CompUSA. It's cheaper than newegg. 2 sticks of G.SKILL 1GB DDR2 800 dual channel memory for $50 at newegg and the processor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unless my brain is failing me, the Prescott is older and only single core, the D 935 is dual core. Therefore, the D 935 is the obvious choice. It also supports 64-bit.

I have a Pentium D system (a 92x type) and am very happy with it.

The Pentium 4 architecture was a dead-end in the evolution of the Pentium.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree. For video dual core will be faster, even at a 6 percent lower clock speed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys,

I went ahead and ordered the motherboard, 935 Presler and 2GB of memory from newegg today. Hopefully I'll get the parts by Tuesday and get back to doing video. Trying to use this old Celeron is driving me nuts. I'm hoping the onboard graphics on the new board will handle HD files better than the old ATI AIW. It was advertised as a multimedia board.

Will I be able to use the onboard graphics and the ATI for capture or is that a no go? I'm assuming I'll have to use a seperate tuner card or capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never a fan of on board graphics here. I'd rather have a dedicated video card purely to avoid sharing RAM. Capture from what source via what input? Your ATI AIW may just be your best friend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for $82.99 you could have bought a Intel c2d E2160 processor from newegg.com. i have this processor which can easily be overclocked to 3.00ghz with the right mobo, ram and hsf. with the right mobo you could also upgrade later to intel a quad core processor as well. just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I agree. I have an E2160 at 2.7GHz using the retail HSF in one of my computers. RAM will never be cheaper, and the Gigabyte mother board for it was right around $100. With the prices on entry level Core 2 Duos being what they are, a Pentium 4 or D should never even have been considered.
    Quote Quote