VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, this is my first post here. I hope this hasn't been addressed elsewhere. I've had a fair look around.

I bought a Leadtek PxDVR3200 H a couple of days ago to capture some analogue home videos.

I was recording straight from the Sony analogue 8mm camcorder to the composite input of the capture card. At first it seemed to work fine, but I noticed that when the camera movement was jerky a series of thick black lines would enter the screen and the card would seem to have trouble capturing a clear image. There were some parts of the video where it was very bad.

I tried a few different capture programs, the latest drivers, different compression settings (no compression etc).

The same thing occured when attempting to capture another home made video from a VCR. This was recorded with a different camera.

The distortion does not appear on the camcorder's LCD, nor does it appear when the camcorder or VCR are plugged into my TV.

I have since tried a third capture from the VCR which seemed to work fine.

I have talked to Leadtek "customer support" who said to try it on a clean windows installation and use their Winfast PVR2 program. This made no difference. They then said my only option was to return the card and try another. My impression is that the card is not necessarily faulty, so I thought I'd get some expereinced opinions in the forum.

Here are some image caps of a particularly bad scene:

I have a Divx encoded short video of the same scene (original dimensions - 4.5MB): Download Here

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bet when the movement was really jerky during the original recording, the video heads were also being jolted, so the signal recorded onto tape wasn't quite stable.

TVs etc can cope with slightly unstable cards, but capture cards can't. Read all the information here about Time Base Correctors (TBCs) - you'll need one to capture this footage. Either built into the playback deck, stand alone, or built into the capturing device. Currently, it seems you don't have one anywhere, so can only capture stable footage.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I will look into it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would not consider myself an expert, but I will offer this: The LCD may only be displaying the even fields. It's possible that your video problem could be fine only in the odd fields (or vice versa). Doesn't solve the problem, but maybe explains why it looks fine on the LCD.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's not that.
    Quote Quote