VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I have various long duration (~1 hour) WMV videos. For some of the videos, during playback, I cannot forward through them by dragging the timeline cursor. It springs back to its original location after I drag it forward. This is regardless of all players (Media Player, WinDVD, VLC, etc.). But it only happens with some of the videos while others work fine.

Can this problem be rectified by re-encoding the files in Asfbin or WME software? I have both these software but dont know how to go about re-encoding.

Thanks for the help.

Amer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Give asfbin a try, as it claims to be able to perform repair functions without re-encoding. WMV, like most mpeg based formats, degrades quickly with repeated re-encoding, so avoid it where ever possible.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.

I actually want to know how to re-index a file after opening it in Asfbin? I cant seem to find the appropriate buttons to do it.

Please guide me.

Thanks and regards,
    Amer
    Quote Quote  
  4. AsfBin (with GUI).
    Just add file from right panel (Select files from:) to left (List of input files:) and click on Cut/Copy/Join button.

Or...

AsfTools (it's based on older AsfCut) - options Make Seekable or Basic Repair or Advanced Repair.

Or...

Windows Media File Editor (installed with Windows Media Encoder) - open wideo file and Save and Index or Save As and Index.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friends.

I have successfully re-indexed a faulty video by asfbin and now I can move the cursor through the timeline. Thanks a lot.

However, there is one small problem. The re-indexed file is 289 MB while the original is 404 MB. I assume there has been a loss of resolution? Or is it that they have different formats? (The original is a .wmv file while the new one is a .asf file).

Thank you for your advice.

Best Regards,
    Amer
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by seymoria
    ... I assume there has been a loss of resolution? ...
    Not. When reindexing or remuxing not change audio/video. It's not recompressed.

Originally Posted by seymoria
    ... Or is it that they have different formats? (The original is a .wmv file while the new one is a .asf file). ...
    Not. It's same format/container (ASF) - just other file extension.

Originally Posted by seymoria
    ... The re-indexed file is 289 MB while the original is 404 MB. ...
    It's maybe...:
    - damaged A/V streams (remuxed only good part),
    - if You download it by torrent, possible unfinished download (most torrent apps first make empty file and fill it) - ignore empty parts.

Relation.. if file is damaged or unfinished download (loss index) or not indexing - video is probable not seekable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friend.

Yes, you are very right. Upon viewing the files to end, in most cases, the complete file has not been re-indexed, only a portion (i.e. the good part).

Maybe some more powerful software can restore them in completion (e.g. WME).

Thanks for help.
    Regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only files I've ever had that couldn't be scrolled through (i.e. behaved as you describe) were incomplete. I'll be willing to wager you don't have the whole file.
    Quote Quote