VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear All,

I would really appreciate your help concerning a playlist problem I am encountering with the media player CLASSIC player (latest version).

More specifically, I want the player to play sequentially (with no supervision nor user interferance) all the video files that I have (approximately 800 video files) which are of varying formats (e.g. mpegI, mpegII, dix 4, div 5, Xvid etc). The fact is that the player reproduces some of the files, but with no apparent reason after a while it crashes (when the a song finishes, the player stacks to a black frame, it shows that tries to load the next file contained in the playlist but according to the task manager the program does not respond and needs restarting in order for it to operate again). It is bizarre the fact that when I try to open the "erroneous" file by hand it reproduces FINE! Even when I intervene (e.g. move the players cursor) with the playlist there occurs no problem. It only happens unexpectedly when the player is left alone (usually in fullscreen mode) and has to reproduce a list a video files.

This event does not happen in every song nor always after a specific amount of time. It occurs suddenly. Therefore, I tried to save the playlist and watch exactly when and where it craches. The results where that it crashed before loading an .avi file having a MPEG I video compression. Thus I placed it second in the playlist to see whether it was the file's problem or not, and I saw that the player did not crash at that file (unforunately it crahed later on another song ). I then moved its previous file in (the original) playlist before the "suspect" file (i.e. now the "suspect" file was third in the new playlist) - reproducing in one way the problematic file sequence in the new playlist - and it crashed again. The file types of the files copntained in the latter playlist were the following:
    1). MPEG I video Compression
    2). DivX 5 video Compression
    3). MPEG I video Compression
    Probably, it crashes in other file-type combinations as well, but I mentioned this one in order to provide an example.

Although I suspect that it is some sort of codecs problem, I do not know what to do in order to fix it. The codecs I use are the ones included in the K-LIte MEGA Codec Pack (I have also tried other free-available codec packs but did not solve the problem either).

It is also worth mentioning that I tried the same playlist at the Windows Media Player and surpisingly enough IT DIDN'T CRASH! The only problem with that player was that sometimes, out of the blue, the image exited the fullscreen mode, but kept on playing the video files.

I sincerely apologize for this long post, but I wanted to provide all the information that may be necessary in order for you to help me.

I would be obliged to you if you could help me in any way as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your attention.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly MPC simply does not support playlists with too many entries
    (about 800, as you said). Perhaps some old versions of MPC do not
    have such problem --- you might give them a try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ensure you have the latest version: 6.4.9.1/1.0.11.2 HC (Nov 15, 2007)
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear All,

thank you for your replies!

I have tried all the suggested solutions but unfortunately nothing works.

I believe that it is probably a codec configuration problem in the MPC (internal filters and/or playback) options, since when I alter them, some files that previously did not play, now perform without any problems. Nevertheless, the player then freeezes at other files in the playlist.

I also tried to use the latest ffdshow but although the situation improved slightly, there still exists the same problem to some files (usually XVID files now).

I thought that it might be a "corrupted file" problem but the strange thing is that when I choose manually the problematic file to be played by tyhe player, it is being reproduced without any problems.

Are there any other recommended approaches to solve the problem?

Thank you again for your attention.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If all of the problematic files can be played manually (with the same player NOT using a playlist), then you do not have codec issues. If it were a codec issue or corrupted files, the files would never play.

Since the problem only occurs when the files are in a playlist, you are likely suffering from a software issue. The only thing I can suggest is to start with smaller playlists and gradually make them larger until you start having the problem.

The problem can be tied to something else that you may be doing on the PC during the time of the problem, such as another application or your anti-virus. It could also be memory related. XP sometimes has issues with 4GB of RAM, you could have faulty RAM, or you could be OCing or otherwise impacting communication with the RAM. You can test the RAM using a program such as memtest.

However, you are likely just seeing a bug within the player when using large play lists.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Krispy Kritter,

thank you again for your reply.

The truth is that I am quite desparate because honestly I do not know what goes wrong.

I would also believe that it is a software or hardware problem but I tested the same playlist in two different PCs and the problem was the same. Additionally, the windows media player does not seem to have the same problem when I use the problematic playlist. The only thing that happens then, is that is sometimes comes off the fullscreen mode during the playback of the video file.

Thank you again for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you see the same issue on two different PC's would seem to indicate this is a software (MPC) issue and not hardware. The problem is obviously fixed in WMP (which is 5 versions newer than MPC). You would be better off searching for a fix (if there is one) for your WMP problem.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Krispy Kritter,

By my mistake I misled you. Specifically, although at first I believed that the windows media player had no problems, I laterly observed that my first impression was wrong. Not only the WMP, but in general all the players (BSP, VLC etc) had the same problem.

After a lot of tries and debugging I believe that I finally spotted the bug.

Well, at first I unistalled all the video codecs I had installed on my pc. Then, I downloaded and installed the latest ffdshow and the latest K-Lite MEGA Codec pack. Afterwards, I set all the video and audio files to be played by the ffdsow and went to the media player classic options and enabled all the source filters and disabled all the tranform filters from the Internal filters tab. Finally, I observed that that player crached ONLY when video files with PCM audio format were about to be reproduced. Thus, I excluded all the PCM audio-filetype files from my playlist and it had NO PROBLEMS at all (playlist containing more that 600 files).

I believe that this fixed the problem (at least the preliminary experiments suggest so). Nevertheless, it still bothers me the fact that the MPC reproduces the PCM audio-filetype files when not in the playlist but crashes when included. Although it is not of great importance, I would really like to know why that happens, and whether there is a bug-fix for this problem.

I hope this post helps other people encountering the same problem as well.

Thank you all and mostly you Krispy for your help and time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should take a look over here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

They have forums for submitting bugs and other areas. I took a quick browse and found a few posts concerning similair issues. Maybe with you new found information, they can fix the problem quicker/easier.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been experiencing the same thing, but recently I found a workaround, at least this one works with my pc system:

- Remove all codec-related software from the system
    - Install the latest K-Lite Mega Codec pack
    - Get the newest MPC, a standalone one that is (I understood that the K-Lite pack have also included the latest MPC but read on)
    - Replace the MPC in K-Lite folder (\K-Lite\ etc\) with the downloaded one
    - Retest the playlist

In my case the MPC I downloaded is the very same version with the one included in K-Lite pack but somehow it behave differently in a positive manner

Hope this works for you too.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming this is a MPC issue as noted above, then simply using the latest version may solve the issue (ie: the bug may have been fixed). However, it is not recommended to use codec packs. They have been known to cause problems that often cannot be repaired without reinstalling the OS.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote