VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I'm using my JVC SR-V10u VHS to transfer tapes to a Philips 3575 DVD recorder that I just got.
    Things look good but so often the picture gets worse, not better, if I use the Digital TBC/DNR which is supposed to be crucial for vhs-dvd dubbing.

First of all when you turn on the TBC the color gets more intense making the picture which had good color now look too orange or too green. If the picture was faded out it looks better but if not it ends up too saturated which is usually the case.

Then worst of all turning on the TBC too often makes some horizontal lines appear on the screen which makes it unusable. Also less often the picture bends a little near the top with TBC on. Turn it off and the bending/lines go away (and the color goes back to normal).
    I'd love to filter out that awful chroma noise but the lines and bending are worse. Am I doing something wrong?

Actually the better the original tapes look (SP camcorder tapes) the more likely it is that there will be problems with the filters.

SO my question: How different is the VHS playback on a SR-V10u with it's filters off compared to the VHS playback of the JVC DR-MV5 combo unit which doesn't have the filters?
    If I can't use those filters reliably I'd rather just get the JVC combo, hit the dub button chroma noise and all, then go about my business instead of trying in vain to perfect these recordings.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might have a defective JVC vcr, but that's doubtful: the TBC/DNR circuit is not a common failure point on a JVC. More likely your particular tapes just clash with the TBC and DNR, this happens to people more often than you'd expect. You need to make some test dubs with the TBC/DNR turned off- if the resulting DVDs are watchable (no really bad picture distortion), then do the bulk of your transfers that way. In most cases, the JVC TBC-DNR is only an absolute requirement when the digitized signal pulls, flags and distorts without it being active. Use your judgment and continue to make spot checks. Unfortunately tape transfer is not an exact science .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on the tape errors. Some tapes are a mess signal-wise, especially LP and EP/SLP recordings.

The JVC DVD recorder will remove the chroma noise anyway, so don't worry about it on this one tape.

Maybe the Philips (LSI chipset?) will remove chroma too. Test. I've not had a chance.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have yet to be able to use the TBC/DNR on any of my tapes. Turning this function on makes the picture jump uncontrollably. I am sure this is do to my tapes being recorded in EP mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It depends on the tape errors. Some tapes are a mess signal-wise, especially LP and EP/SLP recordings.

The JVC DVD recorder will remove the chroma noise anyway, so don't worry about it on this one tape.

Maybe the Philips (LSI chipset?) will remove chroma too. Test. I've not had a chance.
    Does the Philips have the LSI chipset and how do I know if it removes chroma? Is that something I can see?
    Quote Quote