VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, sorry if an answer to this question was posted before, but after about 20 minutes of searching I came up with nothing.

Here's my situation:

I used my family's video camera to capture the tapes onto my computer.

I need to burn these on dvds, so that they will play in my family's DVD player.

The problem is, the filesizes are huge.. even though it's an only an hour worth of video, the files are far too large to burn on a 4.7 GB blank DVD-R. (The video files are 12.5 GB each)

I have NERO and Virtual Dub on my computer, but I'm at a loss of what to do..

Should I convert them to a different filesize? (they are .avi)

Is there a way to cut each 60 minute video file down to where it will fit on one DVD?

Or is there another solution completely?

Anyway, thanks for your help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    look at left and goto "How To" then "All Guides". Search "avi2dvd" and you will find several guides to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to put them on a regular DVD, you would need to encode them to MPEG-2 format, then author them to the DVD specification. You can see that to the upper left on this page in 'WHAT IS' DVD.

Your video is probably DV-AVI, if from a camcorder. It uses about 13.5GB an hour of hard drive space. You can get about one hour of very good quality on a DVD disc after encoding and authoring.

Lots of programs available for the conversion. You could use ConvertXToDVD or the freeware FAVC to do the conversions if you wanted something simple. Or use a separate encoder like HC and a separate authoring program like GUI for dvdauthor if you want the best quality.

There's lots more to it all, but that may give you a start.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey, thanks a lot.

hopefully I can figure this all out!

Quote Quote