VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I create a standard DVD project, mux it, and create a VIDEO_TS folder...can that be burned to a BD-R and have 25/50 GB of space?

What I'd like to do is create a complex standard DVD and have the space of a BD-R to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. BUt it will probably not work on desktop blu-ray players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure that anything will burn such a disc. If you can find something that will burn it, playback will ONLY be possible on a PC. It will NEVER play on a BluRay player or DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. A couple of other Blu Ray authoring questions:

1) Can I take M2V files and author them for Blu Ray? Or is there a different format that BR requires?

2) 480i/p will work in the Blu Ray standard, won't it? It doesn't have to be hi def. Blu Ray ALLOWS it, but doesn't REQUIRE it, correct?

Thanks for answering my questions so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    HD-DVD does have an explicit feature for doing what you want, but BluRay doesn't.
    BluRay will use M2V files as input in a BR authoring software, but it won't allow RAW M2V files to be accessable on a settop.

Yes 480i/p is allowable, but see previous comment in the line above...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that while BluRay and HD DVD do both allow 480i/p video, the frame rates MUST be either 50 fps or 59.94 fps, which is NOT what DVD uses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes it is, it's just that they're using different terminology.
    480i60=59.94 (barring a very few inconsistencies), 480p60=59.94 also, just has double the framerate of 480i.

(think of it as a subset)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. From what I have read in this post, this SUCKS.

One of the things that I was looking forward to with Blu-Ray was to consolidate my DVD collection to BD-R's. (Rip the DVD's and author/burn to BD-R) I was hoping to group my Star Wars, Star Trek, TV series, ect. to one or two BD-R's and still enjoy the chapters, 5.1 sound, ect.

I guess the best I could do is use it to archive the DVDs and/or rip them to a single VOB/MPG file and play back on a PS3 or future Blu-Ray standalone that would support the files.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, things may not be as bad as it seems. While you cannot author DVD format to BluRay blanks, just like you can't burn CD audio format on a DVD blank, you could take your films and author them as BluRay format discs. Thanks to Cornucopia's post, it would seem that your existing DVDs would be OK without re-encoding for BluRay, but you'll have to author a BluRay format disc on BluRay media. Using a BluRay authoring program of some kind, I don't see any reason why you couldn't put multiple films on one disc with 5.1 sound and chapters, it will just be a BluRay disc and NOT a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jntaylor63
    From what I have read in this post, this SUCKS.
    One of the things that I was looking forward to with Blu-Ray was to consolidate my DVD collection to BD-R's. (Rip the DVD's and author/burn to BD-R) I was hoping to group my Star Wars, Star Trek, TV series, ect. to one or two BD-R's and still enjoy the chapters, 5.1 sound, ect.
    I guess the best I could do is use it to archive the DVDs and/or rip them to a single VOB/MPG file and play back on a PS3 or future Blu-Ray standalone that would support the files.
    That sounds like a lot of effort for nothing.
    Spend hours to save 3 minutes getting up to change a disc?

I don't get it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Many reasons Mr. Smurf,

1. Save storage space. Between Movies, TV shows and Home Recordings, my storage space is getting low. Due to WAF, all of the movies are behind closed doors. I have even Ditched the original DVD cases and moved to multi-disk cases to consolidate and its still filling up. I want to stop this cycle of changing storage types as the collection grows.

2. Archive. I really don't like having a 1:1 or 1:many disc back-up system. And these start giving me the same headache as the item #1. Now a Many to 1 disc archive (8 or 9 DVDS to one BD-R DL) I can get behind. Kind of like people putting many VCDs on one DVD-R.

3. Convince. I may not care for EVERY episode on my TV collection, but to be able to pick an episode from one or more seasons on a SINGLE disc would be nice. Or make a "Best of " collection. I would also group like-theme movies on a single disc. When my wife is sick, she loves the romantic comedies. Grab one or two of them and she can chose the one she wants; instead of hunting through the collection of single movie discs.

I could keep going, but I think many people could see the validity of items 1 and 2. Number 3 is a personal choice.
    For the love of God, use hub/core labels on your Recordable Discs!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jntaylor63
    Many reasons Mr. Smurf,

1. Save storage space. Between Movies, TV shows and Home Recordings, my storage space is getting low. Due to WAF, all of the movies are behind closed doors. I have even Ditched the original DVD cases and moved to multi-disk cases to consolidate and its still filling up. I want to stop this cycle of changing storage types as the collection grows.

2. Archive. I really don't like having a 1:1 or 1:many disc back-up system. And these start giving me the same headache as the item #1. Now a Many to 1 disc archive (8 or 9 DVDS to one BD-R DL) I can get behind. Kind of like people putting many VCDs on one DVD-R.

3. Convince. I may not care for EVERY episode on my TV collection, but to be able to pick an episode from one or more seasons on a SINGLE disc would be nice. Or make a "Best of " collection. I would also group like-theme movies on a single disc. When my wife is sick, she loves the romantic comedies. Grab one or two of them and she can chose the one she wants; instead of hunting through the collection of single movie discs.

I could keep going, but I think many people could see the validity of items 1 and 2. Number 3 is a personal choice.
    And because it'd be cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You won't save much storage space. The BD-R's are not that big. Either you have 10,000 discs -- or you live in a cardboard box.

Sometimes "video help" is not about telling a person how to do what they ask, but about telling them why their question is odd or not suggested.

This isn't like VHS -> DVD, which was a huge space saver, as a dozen DVDs can take up the same space of on VHS. Or VCD, for which 7 CDs would fit to on DVD.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote