VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all

New to the forum, but I've been reading it for years, back when we were all just making VCDs and such. I have a coveted LiteOn LVW-5005 and have had no problems with it for 2 and a half years so far, except that the drive was really picky for the last year or so (really picky in the last month about media).

So, after reading some tips here and there, I have:

- backflashed to 0098 firmware, patched
    - installed a much stronger PC-style LiteOn drive (I had an extra in my tower from years back)

Let me tell you, I am sure I now have an UNSTOPPABLE machine now! The new drive starts recording WHEN YOU PRESS RECORD, not sometime later the same day, and finalization takes about 20 seconds!

Anyway, I thought I would have my first post tell some of the more squeamish users out there that it was no big deal at all to swap out the drives. In fact, I did what someone mentioned in another post, namely just set the desired drive on top of the old one and hook it up to see if it works first, and I was immediately playing discs that are normally rejected, and I made a test disc that way too, no problems. I also still have fast forward.

One hint, though, and let me know if anyone else was careless about this like me, but that thin metal bracket that goes around the original drive is S H A R P ! ! ! ! O U C H ! ! ! I cut both index fingers, and I was MAD! Apparently it is also attached underneath the original drive, so don't just take out the visible screws and start reefin' on it, because it won't move -- your flesh will!

I couldn't believe how cheap the original drive was, also, once I compared it to the replacement drive. It looks like some plastic toy! I can't believe it lasted this long. I suppose it could have lasted longer, but it was really driving me crazy. Oh yeah, and I can't seem to get the original door back onto the new drive, but that is minor. One thing, though, none of the new screw holes line up to any of the original ones, so I was thinking of seating it more firmly with some clear silicon, but if anyone has any suggestions I will take them.

Also, has anyone else with this unit noticed that the clock runs about 20 seconds fast per week? If you leave it for a month or so, you really have to reset it all the time, especially if you have timers set. I was hoping that this would clear up with the different firmware, but it still does it.

Well, that's long enough for my first post, I'm sure. Just saying "hi", and it is a lot to have typed with cuts on both of my index fingers. I will post if there are problems with my procedure, but I'm sure that I will never want to let this machine go now.

E
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which drive did you use for replacement, and does the recorder still record VCD? According to what I read on CDFreaks LiteOn Recorder forum replacement drives past LiteOn 1693 no longer record VCD, and many freeze on fast forward too. I've had 3 different 5005s of which only 1 has needed drive replacement thus far, and it was replaced with LiteOn SHM-165P6S which no longer records VCD and freezes on fast forward. I had no problems lining up screw holes, but cutting of plastic at inside top front of the 5005 was needed to get proper fit; also some trimming of plastic on the drive drawer after removing original drive drawer cover permitted fitting the 5005 cover onto the replacement drive. There are excellent instructions on the whole replacement procedure in post #8 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-burner-153421/ and at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/ which included pictures at 1 time but pictures seem to no longer be there. I've not noticed the clock issue, but I use OTR to record mostly and rarely use timer recording and thus would likely not notice small changes in clock time.

I've since gotten a Sony DRU-120C (aka DW-G120A) drive for eventual replacement in 1 of the other 5005s because it retains fast forward function which I learned from another CDFreaks thread. I also recently got a BenQ DW1620 which is 1 of a few fully functional replacements which I learned from another forum for eventual replacement in the third 5005. In another CDFreaks thread I also learned both LiteOn SHW-160P6S and SHM-165P6S may be cross flashed to Sony DRU-120C (aka DW-G120A) if 1 wants to retain fast forward function. I don't use fast forward function since I use the 5005 only for recording and use DVD player for playing, but that function may be useful to some.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did they ever fix the perpetual "Hello" problem on start-up when these units go bad? I have a dead 5005 sitting right here with no solution to this problem other than buying another 5005....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did the "Hello" problem on start-up begin after drive replacement, or might it be related to a burner failure? If it's due to some failure on the main board, then I think the answer to the question is likely no. See http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/lvw5005-system-fw-tsop-dump-235134/ which seems to be about a main board failure. If it's due to a burner failure, then it might be fixed by burner replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A liteon, ilo or other clone will Stay on Hello if the DVD drive is not recognized. This is for any unit, A unit with HDD will stay on hello for a minute or so if the HDD is not recognized, than will work ok and record or play on the DVD drive [if it is ok]

I have only seen one unit out of many that had a [quote] main-board problem. It would do nothing not even say Hello .The problem was minor and not the main-board
    A bum firmware install can cause many different problems. But I have not seen a Hello problem as one.

If not already done I would check all cables and connections If Hello still persists. I would try another liteon drive, even a newer one that will not have FF, The drive should be recognized and operate.

The drive is IDE and there are others that will work but most would be liteon clones like the Sony 120. You can try any IDE drive, it will not cause any problems, but if it doesn’t work, don’t assume that the unit is defective because the unit may be looking for a liteon mfg drive
    Quote Quote  
  6. The only times I had a unit stuck on "Hello" (HD04, R04) was when changing a drive and forgetting to reset the jumper to master (on single drive recorders).

With the HD04, the best jumper setup is both the drive and hdd at Cable Select, when a mixed set of jumpers are on the HD04, it takes a couple of minutes for the unit to boot up compared to the regular 15 seconds or so.

The other time was if the IDE connector wasn't properly inserted (check MB and Drive connectors) also check for bent IDE pins at connecting points.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it looks like I may have struck the jackpot here.

So far I have tested the following on my drive replacement:

DVD+R: perfection...in fact, this is the format that reacts fastest to pressing record and stop when you want it.
    DVD-R: works fine, a little more sluggish than the + discs, but no problems.
    VCD: records and plays back fine
    Fast Forward: No problems, no freeze-ups.

I will post more test results here, as well as which drive I am using as the replacement (I forgot to write the model number down before I closed up the unit, but I want to get back in there anyway to firm up the seating of the drive.)

I will be testing Audio CD, SVCD, DVD+RW, but probably not DVD-RW, since I really don't have any in the house, and I've never liked them anyway.

later
    E
    Quote Quote  
  8. RiteOn

Same question [bevills1] asked

What Drive [Name and Model #] did you use
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a list of burners that have been successfully used as replacements at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/ although it's not all inclusive since it doesn't include BenQ 1620 referenced in my first 1/6/07 post for example.
    Quote Quote  
  10. bevills1

Thanks for the post and link.
    I am aware of the drives that can be used for full function and those that work but not have full function
    I believe the BenQ 1620 is a liteon unit but could be an exception. Harpmaker had used the drive well over a year ago and I believe is on the list at
    http://www.techolio.com/
    and
    http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

The ilo is liteon as some Gateway, Daytek, etc. The info on the ilo is relevant.

When replacing the drive, the units seem to look for a liteon mfg drive

I believe many of the drives are older as the BenQ and very hard to find There are still some older Liteon drives around and one might find a Sony 120 which is liteon
    Many new liteon drives will work but not on all functions
    I am always on the lookout for a New Model drive that will but have not found one and thought RiteOn may have stumbled across one

These stand-alone units are well worth some effort.
    At present I have three liteon 5045 and three 5005, two ilo RHD04 and two R04, all have had the DVD drive replaced, internally with a PC unit. Some well over a year ago and have also replaced the drives in some 30 Liteon/ilo units for friends.

I Do Not Repair or Sell Liteon/ilo Units. I’m Just A Liteon/ilo NUT.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, no, don't let me be misleading....I forgot to let everyone know one very important thing:

This is not a new drive. In fact, I've had it about a year longer than my 5005. I think it was manufactured in 2003. I didn't get a chance today to crack open the case and check the model number, because I was actually using the unit all day, but I will check soon. I'm sure it is just a common drive that everyone had a few years back, and I lucked into one. I bought it and mounted it in a firewire case way back when I just had an iMac G3 750MHz. Great little machine, and if you pet it just right, you could make DVD's on it....v e r y s l o w l y. Anyway, then we got a Mac Mini, then we spilled Pepsi all over it, then I had to buy a cheap PC for school, and I mounted the LiteOn in it, but I recently realized I would rather mount it in the standalone.

Well, that's my story. Sorry if everyone thought there was some new wonder-drive out there.

BTW I haven't had any problems with it yet, either.

E
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by LCSHG
    I am always on the lookout for a New Model drive that will but have not found one...
    I replaced the drive on my LiteOn 5005 with a "AOpen DUW 1616L Pro" last summer (2007). *Except for VCD / SVCD burning, all other functions work great, including FF and CD burning. *Being a more recent model, you may want to add it to your list of replacement drives that work well with the 5005.
    Quote Quote  
  13. tac7

Thanks for the info

There is a sticky on both these sites by Harbmaker that cover the drives to use for full function. I can post but it might be better if you post this info and keep it in one spot

Thanks again

http://www.techolio.com/

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LCSHG, the BenQ 1620 is all BenQ, and it preceded the much touted BenQ 1640 and 1650. The BenQ 1670 was the first BenQ that's really LiteOn. The 1620 I got recently is the 1 referenced in post #113 at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/shw-160p6s-lvw-5005-success-165085/index5.html which is a Pacific Digital which is a rebadged BenQ 1620 that I flashed with BenQ 1620 firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the drive I use in my 5001 when I replaced the defective drive in that unit with an old LG-4040B. That one works perfectly in the 5001 but isn't recognized in the 5005 leading me to believe it's a component failure on the main board. The drive that was removed works perfectly in a computer, so it's not a drive failure.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Bevills1

I’ve looked at that site and thread, seen your comments and agree. Your comments on the BenQ 1620 being a non liteon would seem in agreement with others that used it and lay aside my thoughts that the liton/ilo may be seeking a liteon mfg. Drive.
    Others have also flashed a specific drive [In a PC] so that drive would operate as wanted
    A firmware change for a replacement drive would have to be done in a PC
    I was not into SVCD and didn’t pursue it but would assume that a problem could be the drive itself wasn’t capable.
    I noticed in that thread a post indicated a 160p would function on FF with a burned disk
    I had found much the same. A commercial disk would not function on FF with a 160p but if that commercial disk was burned to a blank disk, that disk would function on FF.
    A book-mark has not worked very well for me with the ilo RHD04 or R04. I use the 5045’s to burn a -R disk
    The 5005 and R04 seem to work very well in conjunction with a compliant recorder and when used as such, it’s drive functions would not seem to be an issue as long as it was recognized by the system
    I had not found any difference speed [copy ,burn etc.] with a replacement drive as a 1693s
    I feel you indicated that one could select the wrong Firmwre. If they did, it cuold lead to problems that could be corrected but are often not.

Oldfart13

A drive working in a 5001 should operate in a 5005. While I have not had a problem with a liteon main-board, there is always a first.
    When the unit first powers up does the Hello come on and than hang there. If so it could be the unit is not recognizing the drive [connections etc.] but the main-board could be OK . If nothing comes up on the display, It could be the Main-board, connections or power supply [thats a great selection]

I had felt that heat was a real factor with the LSI chip. It got so hot you couldn’t touch itt. Some non HDD units had a heat-sink but not the HDD units. All my units now have a heat-sink on the LSI chip. The HDD units also have the HDD turned over for better clearance and cooling, a quiet 12v fan running at 5v. The heat on the LSI is a good 75% less

PS
    While many have been concerned with a DVD drive replacement The IDE hard drives could become scarce
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PS in both units is a 5001 board (says so on the boards). I popped the fuse in the 5001 tonight and had to replace it with the board from the 5005 and everything is back to normal. Cursed eyes. Makes me a poor tech these days. Prior to this I also tried using a small 13 Gig drive formatted as FAT32 but couldn't get it to work in either recorder though the 5001 kept coming up with a "wrong drive" error so that seems to be close. The 5005 is still stuck on "Hello" so I'm going to leave it for awhile until I can get the fuse replaced in that power supply. Yes, the "Hello" comes up as soon as you turn the unit on. I checked all the cables and even went so far as to replace the cables with the ones that work in the 5001. It still doesn't matter though as it just hangs. Next would be to try to find a Liteon drive and see if a replacement will work. I think the 16X Retail Plus drives from Staples Canada are Liteons. I'll have to get one and check. Alternatively, I can try to get the failing drive in the 5001 to be recognized in the 5005, since that is a Liteon. I'll let you know what happens...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No video in or out but power to the fan and the controls work (power on and off using the remote works) leads me to believe it's a component failure on the motherboard. The drive from the 5001 makes start-up noises when the 5005 is turned on but still hangs on "Hello". I had heard from some forums that the Liteon techs would just replace the mobo when a defective unit was sent in rather than try to find the failed component(s). This is why there seems to be no fix for this problem. Guess we're still stuck at this point....
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RiteOn, FYI LiteOn replacement drives may be configured to set book type to DVD-ROM while connected to PC if you'd like to do that when you open up the recorder again. For models newer than 1693 simply set it using Book Type tool while in PC; for 1693 and older models it's necessary to use the Omin-Patcher in the PC to permanently change book type setting. I used the Book Type tool for my SHM-165P6S which now records +R media with book type set to DVD-ROM in my 5005.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, more features are always a plus, but forgive me: what does "book type" mean? I must admit that in my years of video geeking I've never heard that. (Is that strange?) What are the benefits?

e
    Quote Quote  
  21. oldfatr13

Know what you mean about the eyes

The 5001 and 5005 are DVD drive units only . The LSI chipsets have only 1 IDE port for a DVD drive The 5045 has two 1 for the DVD and 1 for the HDD.
    If a HDD is connected to the IDE port on a 5005 or 5001 It is not recognized, as the system is looking for a DVD drive and the system will hang on HELLO
    In the 5045 the unit will also hang on HELLO if the DVD drive is not recognized but will work on the DVD if the HDD fails; In that case it will take a full min to leave the HELLO message.
    In the 5045 the system is looking for a 160gb HDD if it finds it [[[To Qualify]]] OK, if larger it will format it to 160gb
    Same for a ilo RHD04 only an 80gb HDD
    A 13gb HDD is two small and will not be recognized in a HDD unit and no HDD will be recognized in a 5005 or 5001
    That the unit is hung on HELLO would lead me to feel the unit is OK but can-not find a suitable drive

To Qualify
    Hard drive issues [removal format et.] can lead to a HDD error message but can be corrected and the system restored

I use Win 98se and Fat 32,. I can us a tweaked version of fat that will allow a format to 64k. for the liteon/ilo units If one is using XP, there are limitations for fat 32 but there are ways to overcome this. There are stickys about this on the sites I gave above.
    There may also be some on cdfreaks but I don’t know.
    This is really for someone that is using a larger than original HDD and must format the large HDD in a PC. and has the proper files on the PC to install to the liteon/ilo HDD
    As said if a large HDD is formatted in the unit it will do so but at 160 or 80gb. If Nero or any burner is used, to clear the HDD, do NOT let it format the HDD [or format it period] Let the unit do it. If you don’t a drive error message is most likely

Don’t send the unit to liteon [ at least not yet] as they will not repair it. They have replaced these older units with newer ones that are compliant, many at no charge
    As said it really sounds as the unit may be OK
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Book type is associated with with +R/RW media only with default being +R/RW book type which may be changed to ROM for +R/RW discs. I have 1 DVD player that would play no 5005 recordings regardless of media type, i.e. -R/RW or +R/RW. However, 5005 recordings to +R/RW media with book type set to ROM on the replacement burner play fine on all my DVD players. This isn't important if you don't have problems playing 5005 recordings on other players, but it helps if you do have problems playing 5005 recordings on other players
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LCSHG: Ahh..I see I made an error with the model number as to what units can have an external HDD added. Okay but that still doesn't solve the component failure problem with the 5005. Adding known good drives to the unit still results in the stuck on "hello" problem as well, there definitely is no video out either from the composite out or the Rf out. The main board then seems to be defective somewhere along the line. I'll have to ask some of my repair shop friends if any of them have had a unit in for repair and if they were able to fix them and how. No help from Liteon/ILO and I've checked lots of sites including ones overseas in non English speaking countries. Seems to be a well beaten path...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bevills

that is great...I should try it, because I like to give discs away to my friends and family, and + discs work best on my deck.

thanks for the tip!

e
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just recently I had a 5005 with a shm-165p6s cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A replacement drive that began not recognizing any disk and finally got to the stuck on HELLO at startup. In post #5 of this thread LCSHG says the stuck at HELLO problem may be due to the drive not being recognized, and I connected a NEC ND-3520A pulled from a PC which seems to work fine. The problem with the NEC drive is I have difficulty getting it to fit in the 5005 so that the drive will open/close properly. Do you, LCSHG, think connecting the drive causing the stuck at HELLO to a PC and flash with a different firmware version may get it recognized by the 5005, or has anybody successfully fitted a NEC burner in a LiteOn recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    I was pulling a 5005 apart today to see if I could fix its 813s (tray not opening) but apparently I fried it. It gave me a stuck HELLO when I tried to use it after. I then put in a Samsung ROM drive (no Ide burner available to use) n it went back to normal, so yes, a stuck HELLO is probably from not recognizing (or lacking) a drive.
    It's probably worth a try flashing your 165p6s paperweigt, at least what've you got to lose if it's not working? You try to connect it in a pc to see if it will function? It may be gone
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before giving up completely on the cross flashed 165p6s I connected it to a PC where it was recognized by neither BIOS nor Windows, no power light and pressing button to open drive failed to work. Apparently the drive died completely.

Unable to get the NEC drive to fit so the tray open/close function works correctly, I decided to use a Sony DRU-120C (aka DW-G120A) instead of using the NEC drive, and everything works great with the Sony replacement drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this is probaby since SOny drive are made by Liteon
    Quote Quote