VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. When you use DVDSub Edit, which by the way is the fastest easiest one, you always get problem with the OCR. So sitting sown afterwards and go through a 2.5 hour long movie with a lot of text is not what you want.
    So is there some other way to easy and fast fix the letters thar is fault afterwards?

1b. Can DVDSub Edit save as .sub directly without using OCR?

2. SubRip is much better in this case, it takes a lot more time, but you can be sure that you'll get the right subtitle from the beginning, and you can save it as a .srt. What else can be wrong... unntil I found out that the .srt file is not readable in Subtitle Workshop. A subtitle program that I just have fallen into, it is very nice to fix sync problems, edit texts and so on. So why doesn't the srt file work in that porgram?

I am mainly using swedish subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-
    So is there some other way to easy and fast fix the letters thar is fault afterwards?
    None that I know of.
    Can DVDSub Edit save as .sub directly without using OCR?
    Which SUB? The IDX/SUB one? No, but other programs can. The text-based SUB? No, but once you have an SRT you can immediately convert to the text-based SUB easily enough.
    So why doesn't the srt file work in that porgram?
    I can't answer that as I use neither SRT nor Subtitle Workshop. Maybe someone else knows the answer, or what you have to do to make it compatible. You might try opening the SRT in SubResynch (comes in VobSub) and saving it immediately as SRT. Then try opening the result in Subtitle Workshop. Me, I make SSA subs for editing and edit using SubStation Alpha.

Personally, I found the automatic OCR in DVD SubEdit worse than useless for the same reasons you did; so much editing has to be done afterwards to fix the mistakes that it's faster to use SubRip for the job and do a full manual OCR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which SUB? The IDX/SUB one? No, but other programs can. The text-based SUB? No, but once you have an SRT you can immediately convert to the text-based SUB easily enough.

Yes that one, what program do you use for that, that is extracting from a DVD only the non-text sub?
    I hope that if I do that I donīt have to work so much with it, just use VLC, and it works with the video.
    Tryied with vobsub, but I couldn't make it work. I use it with AutoGK, and it's the same there. Sometime it works, and then sometimes not.

Yeah, I've found out that through using SubResync with VobSub it works. I just open it choosing ANSI character set, and then save it .srt without unicode output. Then it works with Subtitle Workshop.

I only use Subtitle Workshop fot detailed changes afterwards, it is not actually necesary, but as I sad, I just like that prog.

PS! How do you guys make those fine quotes, I couldn't make it work...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aslan
    I've found out the VobSub is perfect for me. Tried a VSRip Guide first to extract sub/idx files, then used SubResync. Much better accuracy for swedish subtitle than SubRip actualy. tested it on same subtitle, with less fault with VobSub.

I think I got hold of this to
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi-
    Yes that one, what program do you use for that, that is extracting from a DVD only the non-text sub?
    I still don't know which SUB format you're referring to, but I think it's IDX/SUB. There are several ways but I use VobSub Configure (comes with VobSub). You have to use the drop-down box to open the IFO as by default it only wants to open another IDX/SUB. Here's a guide:

http://www.doom9.org/dvobsub.htm
    Yeah, I've found out that through using SubResync with VobSub it works. I just open it choosing ANSI character set, and then save it .srt without unicode output. Then it works with Subtitle Workshop.
    I guess I'm lucky as I don't have to mess with that ANSI/Unicode stuff, and as a result I don't understand it. People like AlanHK are the experts on that around here. Maybe he'll see your thread and offer some advice if still needed. Anyway, I'm glad to have been able to point you in the right direction so you could figure out the rest yourself.
    Hehe, fancy, eh? And you can even do it better, if you're not as lazy as I, by doing it this way:
    Originally Posted by aslan
    When getting ready to reply, hit the "Quote" button at the top of the post you want to quote from and remove whatever text you don't want. Then continue with your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but it is working now
    Quote Quote