VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of files that are h264/AAC in an mkv container. I want to convert them to mp4 so I can play them on my iphone. They are already the appropriate size and codecs, so I really shouldn't have to transcode them at all!

I can use iMKVExtract to demux the mkv, but the mux in ffmpegX won't write to MP4.

I tried using VLC, but that resulted in no video, just audio. I checked the "dump raw data" option, then I got both, but it would only play in VLC, not quicktime or itunes.

What else can I use to put these properly encoded streams into a new container for iTunes to read? Please keep in mind I'm on OS X.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. joshwa

New post Posted: Jan 03, 2008 20:09 Posts Comp View users profile Send private message Reply with quote
    I have a bunch of files that are h264/AAC in an mkv container. I want to convert them to mp4 so I can play them on my iphone. They are already the appropriate size and codecs, so I really shouldn't have to transcode them at all!

I can use iMKVExtract to demux the mkv, but the mux in ffmpegX won't write to MP4.

I tried using VLC, but that resulted in no video, just audio. I checked the "dump raw data" option, then I got both, but it would only play in VLC, not quicktime or itunes.

What else can I use to put these properly encoded streams into a new container for iTunes to read? Please keep in mind I'm on OS X.

joshwa there's a program on here called gotsent it turns mkv to mp4 i use it to turn to mp4 for my ps3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gotsent -> windows only
    avidemux -> crashes on my machine (tried both qt and gtk builds)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try MPEG Streamclip http://www.squared5.com

Open the MKV and then from the File menu choose Save As, then MP4. If you get an error try saving instead as MOV

The only other way that I've had limited success with is the mp4creator CLI utility in MPEG4IP http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/

However in my experience mp4creator chokes on h264 video, YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, fugu:

MPEG Streamclip -> can't open mkv-- unsupported file type. Force didn't find the tracks.
    mp4creator -> No OS X binaries available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem, as you are finding out, is most software is written for the PC. Add to that, the fact the 99% of the members here only have experience using the PC software. You will likely need to find a dedicated Mac forum.

On a side note, even in the PC world, software support for mkv files is spotty. Have you tried QuickTime Pro?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Umm... Krispy? VideoHelp does have a dedicated Mac forum, more or less. Perhaps this post should be moved there?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote