VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Vista Home Premium and a Hauppauge PVR-150 tuner card. Media Center has been working great with this card since I installed it but in the last 2 weeks something has change (can't figure out what) and Media Center says that there is no tuner card installed. Device Manager shows the card and shows that it is working properly. Hauppauge shows this card as compatible with Windows Media Center and Vista. I have un-installed and installed the most current driver several times and have gone thru the Media Center TV setup but it still says "no tuner card presen".

I really need help if someone else has experienced something like this with Media Center.[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No real experience with Media Center in Vista, but I'll assume you have used 'Run as Administrator' to load the drivers. I use Vista Premium on two computers.

If all else fails, try installing the drivers in XP SP2 compatibility mode. I've used that with a incompatible video card and it works fine. I know, you shouldn't have to, but it might get you going again until a better solution comes up.

When you R click on the installer, scroll down to 'Properties>Compatibility', click on the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for...' And select XP SP2.

I would also check with Hauppauge and also see if they have a user forum where you might ask some questions.

The Hauppauge 150 has been flaky at times in the past. Usually it works well enough, though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I will try these suggestions. Any others who have ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can also try removing the device in device manager and rebooting so that Windows picks it up again then try running MC setup again. Vista includes the drivers for that card so you shouldn't need any drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have removed the device from device manager multiple times as you suggested. I have also physically removed and re-installed the card from the computer several times with no success. The problem lies somewhere in the Media Center software as Vista has no problem recognizing the card and installing drivers. The card will show in as working properly in device manager.

Again - I believe the problem lies within Media Center but can't figure out what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Good idea, pcostanza

I've had PCI video cards that locked up from one of my BIOS settings and that was the only way to get the PC to work with them again. I would reboot once after removing, then shut down and add the card back in and let Vista find it again. Vista has quite a few drivers built in and I would see what it comes up with first.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Exactly the same problem, Did you find a solution?
    Thanks, Tom
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update on this item. I moved the tuner card to a different computer (XP system) which I knew it worked on and used it there with the wintv software. Once my Vista system got the SP1 update I decided to give it another try just hoping that the issues with the tuners were resolved.

To my suprise Vista media center once again recognizes the wintv pvr-150 tuner card and it works like I hoped. I'm not sure if it is the SP1 or something else but for the present time it is working again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One item to be aware of: Many cards have a problem with using the PCI slot directly below the graphics card. That slot can share the IRQ with other devices. That can also cause problems. If you are using a PCI card, try it in a different PCI slot and you may avoid some problems.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only 2 PCI slots and the one the tuner card is installed is next to the graphics card. If I have problems again I will switch the IEEE-1394 card and the tuner card and maybe that will solve the problem once and for all.

Thanks for the additional information.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sharing a IRQ is a more common problem with AGP type motherboards, but using a different slot might be worth a try if the problem returns.
    Quote Quote