VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I copied a DVD to a directory, and I would like to play it using 'vlc'.

Does anyone know how can I do that?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File
    Open Directory

choose your VIDEO_TS directory and click "OK".

(This works in Windows VLC at least.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That worked for 2 copied DVDs, but for other 2, nothing is displayed, and the horizontal browser goes fast from the beginning to the end.

I ripped one of them using 'acidrip' to a mpeg file, but this way no menus are displayed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Acid rip would have just copied the mpg files without any nav packs. Just right click on the file(s) copied and choose open with VLC. Or right click on the folder and open with VLC.

VLC needs a VIDEO_TS folder with IFO/VOBs inside it to play as a DVD. If those files aren't there it won't act as a DVD Player, but rather a normal file player.

To backup a complete DVD use a different program (vobcopy, XDVDShrink). AcidRip is a DVD-Ripper, for converting a DVD to another format (Xvid, DV)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used 'vobcopy', and it created 3 .vob files. I copied them to a directory, and opened it with 'vlc', but it starts playing the film, not displaying the main menu (I need to define the language for the subtitles).

I will try to use the '--mirror' option in 'vobcopy'.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using -mirror will copy the entire contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. This will include all menus, and all video files.

What is exactly you're looking to do?

Create a one to one backup of the DVD including all contents of the DVD for playback on the PC? Copy just the main movie for playback later? Compress to a smaller format (xvid) to take up less space?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is: I rated 4 DVDs to watch, but I did not have time to. As I have to return them today, I wanted t copy to my HD, watch during the week, and delete later.

But I need to access the link to choose the subtitles language.

As I wrote before, I just copied ('cp') the 4, and 2 of them worked fine ("Capote" and "Nacho Libre"), but "Age of Ice 2" and "A Scanner Darkly" did not.

I am playing "A Scanner Darkly", and it started directly in the making-of. I managed to display the subtitles in portuguese, but I can not make the main menu to be displayed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote