VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello people,

Im looking for a guide, help or just a push towards the right direction on how I could add selectable subtitles to an existing dvd using mac os x.

Only guide I found was for windows: How to add your own subtitle to DVD (keep menu, multi-pgc)

Ill surely make one for macintosh users if it doesnt exist and I manage to find out how to do it. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most of us do the following:

1. Rip DVD to HD using MTR
    2. Demux VOB using MpegStreamclip
    3. Re-author m2v and aiff w/ subs to DVD using either ffmpegx
    or (better, IMHO) DVDSP.

I don't think there is any other way......yet.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok, thanks. I will give it a try and see how it goes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Finally managed with ffmpegX and I'll later try out dvd studio pro as well.

Here are the steps how I did it a bit more specifically, for the next n00b

- Mounted the DVD ISO with Toast Titanium. (Or just insert DVD in your cd-drive)

- Ripped the DVD on my hard drive. Very easy with MacTheRipper, basically just press "GO!" and select a directory. Also OSEx 0.0110a1 is a nice little program for that.

If you already have a ready VIDEO_TS directory forget that and read on:

- With MPEG Streamclip, File -> Open DVD & select your VIDEO_TS directory. You need a commercial mpeg-2 quicktime component to do this, which shouldnt be a problem. (Note: the one for quicktime 6.x worked fine for 7.x, atleast on my intel mac) Then go to: File -> Demux -> Demux to M2V and AIFF..., select a new directory and so on.

- Before encoding, you might want to check if the subs are in sync. Open a VOB file (not the VIDEO_TS directory) with the first part of the movie (VTS_01_1.VOB propably). In the Filters tab, click on "Load subs" and select your subtitles. Then press Play. If you cant read lips, you might want to select: "audio track: 1" in the audio tab.

- Also you need to know the Framerate (FPS) and video size. More about it here.

- To encode with ffmpegX open the M2V file from the demux directory. Select "DVD mpeg2enc" as target format. In the Filters tab, click on "Load subs" and select your subtitles. In the Audio tab, click on "Add audio" and slect the demuxed AIFF file. In the Video tab select Autosize for DVD or DVD 16:9 (widescreen) and correct Framerate. Encode.

- Once it's finished, add the menu VOB from the ripped DVD to your new VIDEO_TS directory. That should be: VTS_01_0.VOB

This worked for me, with menus intact. The rest of the default settings seemed ok, but you might want to check on them & please correct me if needed. Not too difficult, just a little time consuming. Have phun or prove me better!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the useful thread. After all this time, I'm probably not the next n00b!

I followed the steps Chiappa outlined, and I got a result, but the quality is not very good. It's watchable, but the original Video_TS directory (4.37GB) is beautiful by comparison. The resulting Video_TS directory is 3.27GB. There are jaggy edges and the subtitles (from .srt file) have also become quite rough. I have been experimenting with bit rates and sizes in the ffmepgX Video tab, but the process either fails right away, or results in a strange aspect ratio.

I'm somewhat new to this, but I have studied the How To page on the ffmpegX site, and can't find any way to retain the quality in this process. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Fauxlimey View Post
    Thanks for the useful thread. After all this time, I'm probably not the next n00b!

I followed the steps Chiappa outlined, and I got a result, but the quality is not very good. It's watchable, but the original Video_TS directory (4.37GB) is beautiful by comparison. The resulting Video_TS directory is 3.27GB. There are jaggy edges and the subtitles (from .srt file) have also become quite rough. I have been experimenting with bit rates and sizes in the ffmepgX Video tab, but the process either fails right away, or results in a strange aspect ratio.

I'm somewhat new to this, but I have studied the How To page on the ffmpegX site, and can't find any way to retain the quality in this process. Any suggestions?
    if you dont get the same quality, dont worth the work, is bad!!!

I want a real guide for mac, help please!
    Quote Quote