VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, maybe you guys could help me. I'm in search of a good videp splitter for video files, mostly .AVIs. I have tried a number of them, and I get the same results. I have some tv episodes of some old cartoons and I am trying to split them because each episode has two cartoons in them. When I try splitting them at the exact frame I'd like to, the output file always contains a couple of seconds of audio/video previous the start cut mark I that I want. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem? Are they any programs that actually cut the video at the exact second/frame I'd like? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue you have is that to cut on anything but a keyframe requires re-encoding of some frames. Most splitters will only cut on keyframes because of this, and with Divx/Xvid encoded video, these are often every 300 frames.

You might try the very latest Virtualdub Beta. It has a Smart Encoding option which should let you cut on any frame, and virtualdub will only re-encode the open GOP causes by the split.

AVI Demux is another program that seems to have smart re-encoding and might be worth a look.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The issue you have is that to cut on anything but a keyframe requires re-encoding of some frames. Most splitters will only cut on keyframes because of this, and with Divx/Xvid encoded video, these are often every 300 frames.

You might try the very latest Virtualdub Beta. It has a Smart Encoding option which should let you cut on any frame, and virtualdub will only re-encode the open GOP causes by the split.

AVI Demux is another program that seems to have smart re-encoding and might be worth a look.
    AVI Demux did just the trick! Thanks for the suggestion and information! I wanted to know why this was happening with each AVI file I was trying. The more you know... Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Xilisoft video splitter is the good one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking for an answer to this question for weeks.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote